GDT: Trade Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The first sentence in the post you quoted literally says

"I'm all for trading him"

Also thanks for reminding me Tavares isn't coming...cause I didn't point out several times in the previous post that I was just playing fantasy.

Jeez...we can't even imagine nice things here lol

Fair enough. As far as seeing Pacioretty playing with a 1c, it won’t happen here while he’s in his prime more then likely saying the least. Not worth it to keep this guy around to see what he does with a 1c. To much risk for our team as well as to much money on another 30+ contract.

Reactions: 417

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Colin Miller was also solid at that time. Mid 1st, late 1st and solid player for UFA Lucic. Hopefully Bergevin gets at least that, but I want more.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I dont know how old you are, but i can tell you i cant do things now at 42 that i was able to do at 36 and when i was 36 is wasnt able to do thing i did when i was 30. Weber is turning 33 and going for a major surgery that will affect him now matter what. Weber will not be able to play 25+ minutes a game and still be effective. Weber is no Chara or Jagr.
Same here. In fact Since I hit my 40s it was seriously like a wall. Goto my Dr about my knee pain-your just old and wore out...seriously. Thanks Doc but you are 30 years old and I doubt this is normal. Perhaps hockey injuries and hard work have damaged me more than some, but age is a serious obstacle. Sure you can still go out and drink on a saturday, you can still play some pickup, but overall your recovery and the amount of pain and generally achiness are a lot different from your younger years.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really wonder what kind of return would Pacioretty fetch yesterday if Bergevin was reasonable?

I really believe the deck was stacked against any team trading a player who is not a rental, especially when a GM is insisting on a roster player and more specifically on a no. 1 C prospect.

Reactions: groovejuice

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
How do you know he was or wasn't reasonable?
A name that came up was Bjugstad. Why would Bergevin go for a guy on pace for 43 points playing 15 minutes a game? That is good production. Bjugstad doesn't play at C anymore because of his lack of footspeed. Bergevin could have settle for Maxim Mamin? In top of Bjugstad Bergevin was probably asking for Borgstrom and a 1st. The good thing about trading with Florida is that we most likely get a good 1st round pick even if the 2018 is lottery protected. Florida has some interesting prospects.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
A name that came up was Bjugstad. Why would Bergevin go for a guy on pace for 43 points playing 15 minutes a game? That is good production. Bjugstad doesn't play at C anymore because of his lack of footspeed. Bergevin could have settle for Maxim Mamin? In top of Bjugstad Bergevin was probably asking for Borgstrom and a 1st. The good thing about trading with Florida is that we most likely get a good 1st round pick even if the 2018 is lottery protected. Florida has some interesting prospects.
Bjugstad isn't good.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
How do you know he was or wasn't reasonable?

There were some tweets from MSM about Bergevin insisting on a roster player. Not surprising that teams going in to the playoffs would be reluctant to comply. Extra picks or prospects should have been fine. Only a delusional person would think that the Habs can become competitive in this off season.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Same here. In fact Since I hit my 40s it was seriously like a wall. Goto my Dr about my knee pain-your just old and wore out...seriously. Thanks Doc but you are 30 years old and I doubt this is normal. Perhaps hockey injuries and hard work have damaged me more than some, but age is a serious obstacle. Sure you can still go out and drink on a saturday, you can still play some pickup, but overall your recovery and the amount of pain and generally achiness are a lot different from your younger years.

I played amateur hockey all my life and also hit a wall at 40. I retired from amateur hockey at 41 cause i could not do it anymore at the level i was enjoying it. I simply could not have fun as a defensive player since i used to score lot of goals and could not score anymore on a regular basis. Playing two games in two nights was also very hard. It was starting to have an impact on my job and i had to stop.

From my experience the first wall is at around 30. But experience help you diminish it. You feel it but it doesn't show stats wise. The 2nd wall if at around 35. This one hits harder but you sort of still can do it. You're slower but still strong and very experienced. You lose some offense buy gain some defense. The last wall is at around 40. This one is awful and you simply can't understand it until you experience it. As a kid you think you'll remain on top all your life. We are all like this. What is hard about the 40ies is not only the body slow down but the brain too. You're slower physically but mentally too. I used to play games at a very competitive level. I was even ranked relatively high in the world in some of them. Not professionally but at a high amateur level. But man nope not anymore. Trying to get into Overwatch right now and those god damn ***** **** kids don't stop killing me. Those little bastards ... i wish i would still be 20 to teach them rispek. Gone are the days where i could finish a game with 30+ kills and 0 death. Can hardly maintain a 1-1 kd ratio now.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I played amateur hockey all my life and also hit a wall at 40. I retired from amateur hockey at 41 cause i could not do it anymore at the level i was enjoying it. I simply could not have fun as a defensive player since i used to score lot of goals and could not score anymore on a regular basis. Playing two games in two nights was also very hard. It was starting to have an impact on my job and i had to stop.

From my experience the first wall is at around 30. But experience help you diminish it. You feel it but it doesn't show stats wise. The 2nd wall if at around 35. This one hits harder but you sort of still can do it. You're slower but still strong and very experienced. You lose some offense buy gain some defense. The last wall is at around 40. This one is awful and you simply can't understand it until you experience it. As a kid you think you'll remain on top all your life. We are all like this. What is hard about the 40ies is not only the body slow down but the brain too. You're slower physically but mentally too. I used to play games at a very competitive level. I was even ranked relatively high in the world in some of them. Not professionally but at a high amateur level. But man nope not anymore. Trying to get into Overwatch right now and those god damn ***** **** kids don't stop killing me. Those little bastards ... i wish i would still be 20 to teach them rispek. Gone are the days where i could finish a game with 30+ kills and 0 death. Can hardly maintain a 1-1 kd ratio now.
Tell me about it. However my step son came over and I completely destroyed him in 8 straight fights on street fighter for our retroNES. Gotta agree 30 is the first wall, some make it as far as 32. Had a great party a couple yeasr ago where my cousins Ex was saying how hard 31 was compared to previous years. I was 37 at the time And I said 35 is much worse and it keeps going downhill.

Just hoping the refine that stem cell therapy for knees or I am going to be in a wheelchair by 50. Though that should give me time to sharpen up my FPS skills a bit.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Your brain doesn't slow down. You just see less images per second. Your brain is constantly 'painting' a picture for your consciousness and with time, it gets used to seeing about everything. Repeated experience makes neurons work in higher synchronicity, and in time the circuitry for certain highly repeated actions/experiences are reduced in size because they've become highly efficient. Because of this, with time, your brain needs to see less images per second to interpret what you're seeing. This has the adverse effect of a slightly slower reaction time to interpret new data, or images that change rapidly. On the plus side, you should be highly skilled, granted you kept playing and didn't stop for several years. The brain gleans unused neurons. And inversely, repeated experience strenghtens pathways.

New neurons keep coming till well into our 60's. It just depends on what you do, to where those neurons go. Necessity is the name of the game when it comes to the brain

Age also makes us less agressive and our motivation/reward system changes a lot. You get less motivated to dominate if you've already been there. It works subconsciously, just less dopamine coming in to motivate you to get the upperhand.

I have to say though, im curious to see the changes to my brain. There's rumors that Rockstar might make a remastered version of GTA 4 for the 7th generation consoles. I utterly dominated the deathmatch mode for over 4 years. If the remastered comes out, I'm curious to see if I can still dominate that game like I used to. I used to play CS a lot and played last summer after several years off.. took me about a few dozen games and was getting close to be on the same level that i used to be. Repeated experience is key for efficient action, no matter the age.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I dont know how old you are, but i can tell you i cant do things now at 42 that i was able to do at 36 and when i was 36 is wasnt able to do thing i did when i was 30. Weber is turning 33 and going for a major surgery that will affect him now matter what. Weber will not be able to play 25+ minutes a game and still be effective. Weber is no Chara or Jagr.
That's fair, but I assume you are also not an athlete whose entire daily routine focuses around training and performance.
Aging is an inevitable process. However, there are many things you can to make that process longer and longer, while creeping up slower.
You can do things at 36 that you could do at 30, you just might need to work more at it. Same for 42 vs 36.
I could do a 52 in box jump from a standstill point when I was 28. Right now at 34, I can barely do 40in. Reason why? Well I haven't trained them at all in the past few years and my weight now hovers around 190 vs 170. If I want to get back to that point, it would likely take me more time than it did before, but I guarantee you I can get there.

Tell this guy you can't do things at 36 that you could do at 30, he would probably laugh in your face.

To be clear, there is a massive difference between this and discussing athletic performances in an elite sport. But Weber is not done. He's still just 32. How he rehabs and his genetics are crucial to how he performs moving forward. Not his age.

Reactions: Price is Wright

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You don't trade players when they are not trending well. They are not age 35 tomorrow either.
There are many factors that can influence a trade, not trending up can be one, like Duchene or Plek.
UFA bound is another one, like Plek again.
Aging is also another one. Rebuilding is another.
There are many reasons.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have checked out the Panthers board a number of times and the comments I see about Bjugstad are pretty negative. Big but soft and doesnt produce.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I think not trading Pacioretty was a huge fail. Bergevin must absolutely trade him at the Draft. He has scored only one goal since Feb. 4th! It's a safe bet that he would return to form next year for another organization, but for this joke of a team?

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I really wonder what kind of return would Pacioretty fetch yesterday if Bergevin was reasonable?

LOL

If he traded him yestrday for a lesser deal then you would all be here complaining he didnt get enough or he is patient and waiting for the right deal and now he is simply unreasonable....

He cant win with you guys, every move is wrong no mater what he does.

Reactions: Belial and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
LOL

If he traded him yestrday for a lesser deal then you would all be here complaining he didnt get enough or he is patient and waiting for the right deal and now he is simply unreasonable....

He cant win with you guys, every move is wrong no mater what he does.
Facts 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad