GDT: Trade Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What else is there? Everything else is just him speculating.
Except the part about Bergevin insisting on an NHL ready center though...that's not speculation - that part there is fact.

The only part that was actual reporting was the part where the GMs wanted to deal in futures. Which is what Bergevin should've been doing as well.

The Tampa Bay Lightning didn't just deal in futures...why should the Habs?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Except the part about Bergevin insisting on an NHL ready center though...that's not speculation - that part there is fact.

And that is exactly what I have been arguing the last two days. Except now it's even corroborated by Lebrun.

Bergevin was too short-sighted to deal in futures and was asking contenders established roster players back. And much like Lebrun is speculating, the main reason why GMs backed away and the deals fell through. You don't go asking playoffs teams for their 2Cs, unless you actually don't intend on making a deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: groovejuice

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And that is exactly what I have been arguing the last two days. Except now it's even proven by Lebrun.
I was being sarcastic - pointing out how you pick and choose what is or isn't fact/speculation

Bergevin was too short-sighted to deal in futures and was asking contenders established roster players back. And much like Lebrun is speculating, the main reason why GMs backed away and the deals fell through.

That's speculation.

I think what would have been short sighted was settling for a deal that didn't make sense.

Now I have no clue if that's what happened...when Lebrun says "NHL ready center" that doesn't automatically signify to me, established NHL player.

You can argue that Borgstrom is an NHL ready center, can you not?

And then we know for a fact that Tallon himself stated he didn't want to move Borgstrom.....

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Bergevin was in fact reported asking for a second line center.
I also heard that report...it was further qualified to say that "2nd line center could be a player who projects to be one".

Again...this is all speculation - media types mixing reports with their own speculation and fans taking that and making of it what they want.

Now Bergevin could of been asking for a #2C on top of a top prospect...in which case, it would explain why a deal couldn't get done.

But it doesnt really jive with what Tallon said and what Lebrun has reported.

Tallon didn't want to trade Borgstrom...

If you're the Habs, you don't move Pacioretty without Borgstrom included.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
We will see about Weber. The decline propaganda has started since he was traded for Subban and we have still not seen it. In truth, his style of game will stand up well against decline. Why? Because skating is not his strength and he has learned to play with average skating a very long time ago. If a guy like Hainsey can do what he is doing at age 36 this year, so can Weber! It's propaganda and you know it!

Who the hell is Stalin anyways? Staal? If so, you said Alzner and he is equal to Staal.

So how do you explain the decline of players like Seabrook and Phaneuf, who are similar but lesser players (and certainly better than Hainsey)? Why specifically is Hainsey a valid comparison and Seabrook and Phaneuf not?

Why is an opinion contrary to yours automatically propaganda?

When you have opinions that you wholly and repeatedly refuse to back up with any facts are those also propaganda?

Reactions: Pickles and Roke

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I also heard that report...it was further qualified to say that "2nd line center could be a player who projects to be one".

Again...this is all speculation - media types mixing reports with their own speculation and fans taking that and making of it what they want.

Now Bergevin could of been asking for a #2C on top of a top prospect...in which case, it would explain why a deal couldn't get done.

I don't really bother with what Tallon said. GMs cover up their moves every time. Bergevin said he was never trading Sergachev.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver

Are you saying you would have refused a return of Aleksi Heponiemi, Adam Mascherin, Max Gildon and a 1st

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't really bother with what Tallon said. GMs cover up their moves every time. Bergevin said he was never trading Sergachev.
You don't bother with what GM's say...but you do reporters, but not everything they say?

Well I suppose we can believe that Tallon will move Borgstrom...maybe at the draft then?

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'm not familiar with all the names mentioned so I can't say.
I just checked the Florida board and read on them a bit. They all have top 6 forwards and top 4 dmen potential. Nobody will trade someone with top line potential for Pacioretty, it shouldn't anyway.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You don't bother with what GM's say...but you do reporters, but not everything they say?

Well I suppose we can believe that Tallon will move Borgstrom...maybe at the draft then?
Maybe he hasn't offered him, what I'm saying is if he did he wouldn't reveal it.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
So we're going with the mystery box. We don't know yet therefore it was the right decision to wait.

What we did know was that 4 offers were on the table in an unprecedented TDL, while his value was at the highest it will be. But who knows maybe more teams will offer more for less at the draft just because.
Bergie read about this somewhere, but he was trying to save cap space.
miscellaneous-birds-a_bird_in_the_hand_is_worth_two_in_the_bush-hand-hands-worth-pknn542_low.jpg

Reactions: groovejuice

habsfan909

Feb 20, 2018
Why would a team going to the playoffs give up a #2 centre for Pacio? Is that seriously what Berg thought was an option? Max isn't worth a #2 centre (playoff bound team or not). I'm afraid Marc is so concerned with squeaking into the playoffs he will keep Max and then ultimately resign him for 7+mill and then we are completely F-ed.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
One of Pacioretty attribute that made him successful is his speed, with the league getting faster compare to 5 years ago and Max slowing down brings his value down. The worst captain comment by Therrien and the team USA John Tortorella comments didnt help. His disappearance when it matters reputation catching up to him?
Max Pacioretty is not bringing you a sure potentially top line forward, but he could bring you a top 6 forward and a top 4 dmen. You get your #1 C by tanking and drafting in the top 10

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If Rick Nash and his way past his prime days can get that much. Max Pacioretty on a cheaper contract, ability to play better in pretty much every aspect can return more.

Reactions: Pickles and 417
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad