GDT: Trade Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Question? What do the Habs do with all the dead weight? And there is a logjam of dead weight at 4C, and 7d.

For centres, as it stands you have Froese, who is signed next year, and I could see him annointed captain of Laval again next year.

But you also have McCarron, who will have to pass waivers. DeLaRose (same thing). Logan Shaw? I can't see him being tendered for next year. Laval will have some new faces in Evans and Bradley. I don't know if Pezzeta or Vedejmo will make the jump. I don't know where Audette fits in, as a C, or winger? He is LH, DeLaRose too. The rest I think are righties.

I see Mc Carron being traded. Maybe to Detroit for a depth centre like Dominic Turgeon, a lateral move, but acquiring one extra year of waiver eligibility. The fact he doesn't kill penalties on a team where many of the team's stars don't complicates things, in terms of roles.

7th D is just as complicated. You look to have a top 6 in place, minus a partner for Weber. Are the Habs going to go the cheap route with Reilly or Valiev, pray for the best? One should be a #7. Then you have Schlemko and Benn, who it is hard to see breaking the top 6, though in Bergevin's mind anything is possible. Do one or both get moved? Benn should be easier than Schlemko due to contract or term.

But that's a lot of warm bodies, without production, filling out a roster, maybe 4-5 unnecessary contracts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
If those are actually true, I take back what I said about Pacioretty at the deadline. Those are some brutal offers.
Brutal for the other teams. Apart from the Coyle one.

But they'd all be dumb for insisting on roster players coming back. This was always my problem. It's not that Bergevin wasn't asking enough, it's that he was asking for the wrong elements.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Did anyone read Friedmans 31 thoughts?
Bergevin's ask for Pacioretty was:

1st + Toffoli + Vilardi from LA

Coyle + from the Wild

Trocheck from the Panthers

What the **** is he smoking?

If true, probably is, this is what I was afraid of him doing.

On Coyle, he is sometimes a winger, sometimes a centre. However, he had 21 goals a couple of years ago and 56 points last year. A one for one would have been fair value in my view as Coyle has pretty much established himself, but not at centre. Really dont see a plus being warranted.

The ask from LA just idiotic because of Toffoli being included. Vilardi plus a 1st and maybe some B prospect does it.

Trocheck ? This just kills me. Ridiculous. You are not getting a good 2C for Patches. Never happening. I wanted Borgstrom , a 1st and some youngish guy like Bjugstad. If we could have had Borgstrom and MB decided to pretend to be Sakic and screwed it up, oh dear God.

My fear was MB would only look for an established top 6C and as we discussed to death and concluded a while ago, that was never going to happen. MB wants to keep his job and is hell bent I think on making the post season next year. Only possible was an unestablished player with top 6 C potential such as Eriksson Ek type of player, or a top 6C prospect, like Borgstrom.

This is what happens when Dead Man Walking is still driving the bus. He might have just F----D this team again. This is brutal if true..

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Brutal for the other teams. Apart from the Coyle one.

But they'd all be dumb for insisting on roster players coming back. This was always my problem. It's not that Bergevin wasn't asking enough, it's that he was asking for the wrong elements.
I don't think that is true. No way he asked for Trochek.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Yes correct, why exactly would the Kings give up Toffoli who is averaging 26 goals a season (82 GP) and signed until 2020. @nd another midlevel 1st rounder for a couple of goals more from Pacioretty.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
How does Coyle match up with those other packages? I know he is the main piece, but still...
Yeah, a PPG #1 center on a trash team on an absolute bargain of a contract is equivalent to Coyle+.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't think that is true. No way he asked for Trochek.
I have my doubts too. But there's no figuring how MB's brain computes. 6 years later he still daydreams about Morgan Reilly.

He kept babbling about speed and character at the presser. Fast, hard-working, blue-collar 200ft NA center - Trocheck checks all the boxes of a Julien-type player to a tee.

Reactions: junyab

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Did anyone read Friedmans 31 thoughts?
Bergevin's ask for Pacioretty was:

1st + Toffoli + Vilardi from LA

Coyle + from the Wild

Trocheck from the Panthers

What the **** is he smoking?

I was hearing the same. I told people here. I'm no insider but that's what people were hearing. He wasn't going to trade Pacioretty unless he got an overpayment that still allowed him to compete next season.

Didn't hear Trocheck though. Wow. Ballsy.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I have my doubts too. But there's no figuring how MB's brain computes. 6 years later he still daydreams about Morgan Reilly.

He kept babbling about speed and character at the presser. Fast, hard-working, blue-collar 200ft NA center - Trocheck checks all the boxes of a Julien-type player to a tee.
How do you not laugh at the phone if you are Tallon? Julien might play Trocheck 30 minutes a game, I know he would love him. It's why Panthers would never trade him.

Reactions: Runner77

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't think that is true. I don't believe Friedman on this.
You mean you don't believe that Bergevin asked the Kings for ALL of Toffoli + Vilardi + 1st...but then went to Minny and only asked for Coyle + who the hell knows...and then turned around and asked the Panthers for just Vince Trochek.

How can you not believe this terribly inconsistent story?

Shame on you

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
You mean you don't believe that Bergevin asked the Kings for ALL of Toffoli + Vilardi + 1st...but then went to Minny and only asked for Coyle + who the hell knows...and then turned around and asked the Panthers for just Vince Trochek.

How can you not believe this terribly inconsistent story?

Shame on you
To be fair, Bergevin COULD have asked for a massive overpayment. However, I just don't see it as likely, and I will just wait to see what happens first.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
To be fair, Bergevin COULD have asked for a massive overpayment. However, I just don't see it as likely, and I will just wait to see what happens first.
I'm sure Bergevin inquired about all the names mentioned...doesn't mean he wanted all of them as part of this deal, it also doesn't mean the Habs weren't sending anything on top of Pacioretty either.

These are Elliott Friedman's 31 thoughts...they are not 31 confirmed offers from GM's...they are literally HIS THOUGHTS. It's a mixture of his opinion, hearsay and deductive reasoning.

None of this makes it fact...

Furthermore, we should actually be comforted by the fact that Bergevin went in high...why should he have to sell Pacioretty low? Is anyone actually suggesting they'd be happy with that?

Come on

I don't give a **** who the GM of this team is, whoever he is, he better be using our best trading chip as its intended.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm sure Bergevin inquired about all the names mentioned...doesn't mean he wanted all of them as part of this deal, it also doesn't mean the Habs weren't sending anything on top of Pacioretty either.

These are Elliott Friedman's 31 thoughts...they are not 31 confirmed offers from GM's...they are literally HIS THOUGHTS. It's a mixture of his opinion, hearsay and deductive reasoning.

None of this makes it fact...

Furthermore, we should actually be comforted by the fact that Bergevin went in high...why should he have to sell Pacioretty low? Is anyone actually suggesting they'd be happy with that?

Come on

I don't give a **** who the GM of this team is, whoever he is, he better be using our best trading chip as its intended.
I 100% agree. Until we know for sure, we cant say anything.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I 100% agree. Until we know for sure, we cant say anything.
Well i'm definitely not suggesting we can't say anything - I mean he's an idiot if he thinks Toffoli + Vilardi + 1st + more is a realistic deal for Pacioretty.

But I'm also not taking Friedman's word as bible...just last week he was linking the Habs to Bjugstad from the Panthers only,

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well i'm definitely not suggesting we can't say anything - I mean he's an idiot if he thinks Toffoli + Vilardi + 1st + more is a realistic deal for Pacioretty.

But I'm also not taking Friedman's word as bible...just last week he was linking the Habs to Bjugstad from the Panthers only,
Thats not what was said though. There were so many supposed offers. If we do assume anything, it's based on speculation and nothing more. Bergevin is dreaming if he thinks he can get that.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
LeBrun said Florida wanted Pacioretty. He believes Borgstrom package was asked.
So if we're to believe LeBrun & Friedman & Tallon himself...

Bergevin asked for a package that involved Vince Trochek + Nick Bjugstad + Henrik Borgstrom + picks for Max Pacioretty?

Yeah...sure.

I know when i'm being played.

Bergevin might be an idiot...but I'm not.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Thats not what was said though. There were so many supposed offers. If we do assume anything, it's based on speculation and nothing more. Bergevin is dreaming if he thinks he can get that.
The only thing I think is safe to assume is the Habs and Panthers talked and many names and combinations were likely tossed around.

These reporters do a great job of riling up our fanbase and I really think they take pleasure out of it.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Question? What do the Habs do with all the dead weight? And there is a logjam of dead weight at 4C, and 7d.

For centres, as it stands you have Froese, who is signed next year, and I could see him annointed captain of Laval again next year.

But you also have McCarron, who will have to pass waivers. DeLaRose (same thing). Logan Shaw? I can't see him being tendered for next year. Laval will have some new faces in Evans and Bradley. I don't know if Penezetta or Vedejmo will make the jump. I don't know where Audette fits in, as a C, or winger? He is LH, DeLaRose too. The rest I think are righties.

I see Mc Carron being traded. Maybe to Detroit for a depth centre like Dominic Turgeon, a lateral move, but acquiring one extra year of waiver eligibility. The fact he doesn't kill penalties on a team where many of the team's stars don't complicates things, in terms of roles.

7th D is just as complicated. You look to have a top 6 in place, minus a partner for Weber. Are the Habs going to go the cheap route with Reilly or Valiev, pray for the best? One should be a #7. Then you have Schlemko and Benn, who it is hard to see breaking the top 6, though in Bergevin's mind anything is possible. Do one or both get moved? Benn should be easier than Schlemko due to contract or term.

But that's a lot of warm bodies, without production, filling out a roster, maybe 4-5 unnecessary contracts.
Who is Bradley?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->