Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We need this thread to be like an Emergency Room / War Room with Deadline Trade Possibilities and serious Think Tank Power Crunchers digging in.

Come on people! The fricken TDL is close. The future is now. The Leafs are prepping for a Cup Run!!!

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't care for proposals with Zaitsev as the base. We need him. We need depth at D for a cup cun. Not move our a RHD because you don't like the AAV and term. Cap issues are mostly for next season. If we can get a #7D (right handed) for very little then Dub should pull the trigger. The post season is long and we can't fall back on Holl and Oz.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
While McQuaid may not be as optimal as someone like Gudas, I’d be down to acquire him for a good price based on the matchup with the Bruins. We did that last year with plek, which made sense, but he was on his last legs and it cost a 2nd. It did not work out. If we could get McQuaid for a 4th and maybe some d level prospect, why not.

I’m a massive believer in the mental side of the game and even life. The players won’t admit it, but no matter what, there are demons from the Bruins, especially in their building. You can say it’s a brand new year and blah blah, but the second you step on the ice in that building, you can’t not at least think of the past. It’s human nature. (Which Is why I’m spooked about Gardiner in that potential series, but that’s for another thread). Plus, not only the mental factor, when you have the bloody media reminding you of it 24/7…

But back to McQuaid, having someone who was on the other side could be a big boost. He knows how they play, how to push who’s buttons etc… And if that element is successful, it can rub off on his teammates. Absolutely down if the price is right and Babcock is willing to utilize him properly.

Reactions: ToneDog

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't care for proposals with Zaitsev as the base. We need him. We need depth at D for a cup cun. Not move our a RHD because you don't like the AAV and term. Cap issues are mostly for next season. If we can get a #7D (right handed) for very little then Dub should pull the trigger. The post season is long and we can't fall back on Holl and Oz.

Hell no.

First chance you get, you move that contract.

Reactions: ToneDog

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Unless we are bringing 2 dmen in, I would have to agree that trading Zaitsev right now would be a colossal mistake. I agree that his cap hit for what he provides is about 1.5 million to high a season. But right now for what he does for this team and being RH. It would be a mistake to trade him at this moment.

Unless your bringing in a Jensen and Gudas. Bringing only one dman in and shipping out Zaitsev is counter productive. We don't have the depth to replace Zaitsev with only one dman. Its pretty evident.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Spurgeon would be an interesting target but with the cap would certainly cost Kadri or Zaitsev ++

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It all depends with Zaitsev. If they can move him AND get someone like Pesce in, then do it.

Yes please. Lets move Z but Jake first. We need that asset return and another player with two years left on contract. Gets us through to Lilj and Sandin. Maybe Rosen gets a shot

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It all depends with Zaitsev. If they can move him AND get someone like Pesce in, then do it.

I think with how Carolina is playing right now (and maybe Philly too), guys like Pesce and Gudas to a lesser extent, probably aren't available at the deadline. Philly is 6 points out but on a roll and Carolina is 1 point out. Each team has 3 games left before the deadline, so if either of them drops all 3, then maybe, but if those guys get moved, I'd suspect it will be off-season.

Reactions: hamzarocks

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We can't. But what we can probably do is move one of Holl or Oz and bring in a Jensen or McQuaid.

I like this.

It's possible that Zaitsev plays steady and injury free. If he doesn't then have him sit for McQuaid/Jensen. We are likely going find someone injured in our D. We need insurance.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I agree the first chance you get to bring in 2 RHD to play the RD you move Zaitsev.

Moving Zaitsev without replacing and adding means you might as well sell off Gardiner while you're at it and any other UFA you can.

Cap Space doesn't play defense well at all.

Fantastic point. I can't believe people are willing to pay (in trade) to ditch Zaitsev and then pay (in trade) to bring in a pound for pound replacement.

That's an expensive million dollars of free'd cap space

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Friedman's 31 thoughts...

15. Don't think Toronto's stopped looking at RHD options. Doubt Kyle Dubas went to Vancouver/Anaheim last week for pizza with fire-roasted vegetables.

Only thought he gave us in this week's column.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Friedman's 31 thoughts...

15. Don't think Toronto's stopped looking at RHD options. Doubt Kyle Dubas went to Vancouver/Anaheim last week for pizza with fire-roasted vegetables.

Only thought he gave us in this week's column.

I'd say that he's likely gathering information for more than just the deadline. A lot of these scouting trips are a lot more than about the deadline in general.

It will be a whole lot easier to trade in the off-season than in season.

Unless he's planning on trading Hainsey, or Gardiner, than nothing makes much sense.

Reactions: Buds17

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree the first chance you get to bring in 2 RHD to play the RD you move Zaitsev.

Moving Zaitsev without replacing and adding means you might as well sell off Gardiner while you're at it and any other UFA you can.

Cap Space doesn't play defense well at all.

We would be silly not to trade Jake. Z can be offered to expansion. Jake has 0 chance of staying and of you watch him, doesnt care. He knows its up here and there is enough dysfunction to put doubts of winning. Real winning teams know they have a shot and play like it every night. Tampa has the winning attitude and so does WSH NSH WPG to name a few. We dont have IT

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd say that he's likely gathering information for more than just the deadline. A lot of these scouting trips are a lot more than about the deadline in general.

It will be a whole lot easier to trade in the off-season than in season.

Very strong hinting in the Athletic that Dubas and co. will be trading Zaitsev before his NTC goes into effect.

Also seems like a deal to make after the season is done. but we'll see I guess.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Yes please. Lets move Z but Jake first. We need that asset return and another player with two years left on contract. Gets us through to Lilj and Sandin. Maybe Rosen gets a shot
If we get that #1 RHD I would be fine running Rosen-Holl as the third pair for 10-12 minutes a night, then ride the top 4 like Nashville does.

Rielly-#1RHD
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Holl

Really if you get one guy it sets you up well for the expansion draft as well.

Protect:
Rielly
RHD
Dermott.

Sandin/Lijegren replace Rosen/Holl at some point and then you have 5 really great defensemen for the next 3-5 years.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We can't. But what we can probably do is move one of Holl or Oz and bring in a Jensen or McQuaid.

That addition would obviously increase and improve the overall depth (Jensen more than McQuaid). Not sure which d-man would then sit though?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we get that #1 RHD I would be fine running Rosen-Holl as the third pair for 10-12 minutes a night, then ride the top 4 like Nashville does.

Rielly-#1RHD
Muzzin-Dermott
Rosen-Holl

Really if you get one guy it sets you up well for the expansion draft as well.

Protect:
Rielly
RHD
Dermott.

Sandin/Lijegren replace Rosen/Holl at some point and then you have 5 really great defensemen for the next 3-5 years.

That or find another, it depends. Z can be moved after the season because i doubt anyone wants to saddle up that term mid season.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
That or find another, it depends. Z can be moved after the season because i doubt anyone wants to saddle up that term mid season.
He has a no trade clause that kicks in July 1st though so I'd feel much better about it if Zaitsev was moved now, instead of worrying if Dubas can move him before then.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Very strong hinting in the Athletic that Dubas and co. will be trading Zaitsev before his NTC goes into effect.

Also seems like a deal to make after the season is done. but we'll see I guess.

That can still happen after the season though. There is a good month window in there, and I expect him dealt around the draft.

Right now, I'd say next to 0 chance. It would have to be a mindblowing offer, like someone offerred the Leafs something close to the Muzzin package, for us to consider moving Zaitsev right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad