Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I don't think he has the assets to get us what we need. Small adds and roll the dice. If we lose but play well, better luck next year. If we lose and suck, the honeymoon is over for Shanny, Dubbie, and Babs.
I think Dubas’ big move has happened and another one would be minor. The window has shortened with the contracts, but I don’t think he will have the “all in / now or never” mentality. He will use all 6 years. Hopefully in those 6 years we see multiple Cups, but if not, I see him using all 6 to get there. I think the next 2 years are all about tweak what you can and hope for the best. But it will be the final 4 years he is focused on. There are 3 things I see him liking at those 4 years.

Cap crunch gone
Core in the thick of their prime
Young guns like Sandin and Lilly ready to contribute in a major way

The scary issue with that is you only have Andersen for 1 of those 4, Rielly and Kadri for 2.
Either way, I see him using all 6, so this year won’t be all in. Who knows, maybe I’m very wrong here.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
It'd be nice to be able to get these 3 players because they shouldn't cost too much to get.

Clifford
Anderson
Jensen

Then lines could look like this

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Anderson-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Clifford-Gauthier-Ennis

I know some people probably want Johnsson on Matthews line but I feel Anderson would fit in perfectly on that line. Can finish around the net where Matthews and Nylander can easily get him chances. This was a problem last year because they set Hyman up and he couldn't finish. Guy who can work down low with his size and strength which is another thing this line could use with Matthews and Nylanders evasiveness and this line along with Tavares line can really wear out other teams defenses. Also, I really liked the 3rd line when they played together so it was easier to put Anderson on Matthews wing.

4th line is just your grind them down workhorse line with Ennis being the big offensive threat.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
How quickly would a Leafs fans receive an infraction if we were in the Canes trade thread this much?

I assume you are referring to me:

1) Leafs are my 2nd team and I have been posting on the Leafs board for a few years. Not always agreeing with every poster, but I don't agree with all Canes posters either and will state that in those threads as well.

2) If you are considerate and provide good feedback, there won't be any infractions.

If I, or any poster, comes in here and be rude, trolling or condescending, then sure, but I don't feel I've done that.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I assume you are referring to me:

1) Leafs are my 2nd team and I have been posting on the Leafs board for a few years. Not always agreeing with every poster, but I don't agree with all Canes posters either and will state that in those threads as well.

2) If you are considerate and provide good feedback, there won't be any infractions.

If I, or any poster, comes in here and be rude, trolling or condescending, then sure, but I don't feel I've done that.

You haven't, you're better then a lot of Leafs posters.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
A trade with the canes that I think we need to be looking at is Kadri+ a piece for Pesce + Wallmark. I love kadri as a player and he is on a sweet deal but this trade improves our backend and helps us moving forward. Cane fans want a center more thana winger. Kadri deposited his terrible luck this year is still gonna get 50+ points. I added Wallmark as she is a young center who can chip some offense and signed for 2 million. We would see 6 million dollars comes in and 4.5 million going out. Would be willing to trade Brown, 2020 2nd, or something like that as the missing value piece to get the deal done. Would probaably have to do this deal in the offseason but I wouldn't mind Dubas pulling the trigger at the deadline.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
@hamzarocks actually Wallmark comes next year at a caphit of .675.

Moving Kadri for Wallmark++ in the offseason makes a lot of sense, even if Pesce isn't included.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
A trade with the canes that I think we need to be looking at is Kadri+ a piece for Pesce + Wallmark. I love kadri as a player and he is on a sweet deal but this trade improves our backend and helps us moving forward. Cane fans want a center more thana winger. Kadri deposited his terrible luck this year is still gonna get 50+ points. I added Wallmark as she is a young center who can chip some offense and signed for 2 million. We would see 6 million dollars comes in and 4.5 million going out. Would be willing to trade Brown, 2020 2nd, or something like that as the missing value piece to get the deal done. Would probaably have to do this deal in the offseason but I wouldn't mind Dubas pulling the trigger at the deadline.

I could see that. I think the Canes would probably want to move Faulk (not for Kadri and probably not to Toronto) even for a lesser return, over moving Pesce or Hamilton due to contract status, but if they move Pesce, I could see a deal like that making sense.

Reactions: hamzarocks

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The ++ would have to be huge. Wallmark isn't that good IMO.

Cheap proven 3C, with room to grow (he's what 23?). Yeah it's a huge downgrade, but I think we'd get more for Kadri than Johnsson/KK, and I think that they have more to give long term. I'd prefer Faksa honestly, but options are quite limited beyond those two, and I like the idea of Kadri's money being spent on a Stralman/Jensen

The ++, how huge are you thinking? The Hurricanes have a lot of interesting pieces. The recent surge has their 1st back in he territory of being a reasonable ask post deadline, Kuokkanen, Foegele, Matheos, Martin, Saarela, Gauthier, Bean, 2x 2nds.... the pieces are there.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Cheap proven 3C, with room to grow (he's what 23?). Yeah it's a huge downgrade, but I think we'd get more for Kadri than Johnsson/KK, and I think that they have more to give long term. I'd prefer Faksa honestly, but options are quite limited beyond those two, and I like the idea of Kadri's money being spent on a Stralman/Jensen

The ++, how huge are you thinking? The Hurricanes have a lot of interesting pieces. The recent surge has their 1st back in he territory of being a reasonable ask post deadline, Kuokkanen, Foegele, Matheos, Martin, Saarela, Gauthier, Bean, 2x 2nds.... the pieces are there.
Trading kadri has to be for a "hockey trade". You deal a player like kadri than you need to be getting a nice rhd coming back as that fills our biggest hole on the roster. Getting the canes 1st+ prospect along with wallmark doesnt help us. The 1st rounder will take 2-3 years before they are nhl ready and the prospects there are not enough or fill a void for us. Wallmark is a target but the leafs should not be offering kadro for him. Kadri for Pesce is the deal we need to target. Wallmark if the canes would be willing would be nice but it's not the end of the world as we can put nylander at 3rd line center and see how things go.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
The ++ would have to be huge. Wallmark isn't that good IMO.
He's been pretty good in his role from what I've seen. 56% CF, over 50% on the draw as well which is pretty good from a player as young as he is. pretty much even usage in ozs/dzs. As the third center I think he would be fine, especially considering his low cap hit for next season.

We would need a huge add to do that trade though.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Yeah, he is cheap. And I'm probably being too harsh on Wallmark as a Canes fan (1st), but I'm still not sold on him. He's only playing in that role because Staal is hurt, Necas struggled as a rookie and Rask almost sliced his hand off during training camp and then really struggled afterwards. You are right that he's got room to grow, but right now and he's taking advantage of his opportunity. I wouldn't want him as a 3C on a contending team. Maybe he grows into that because like you said, he is only 23. I'm not sure what the ++ would be in order for it to make sense for Toronto though. Canes likely wouldn't move Necas, the top piece, and Leafs wouldn't have interest in Bean, the 2nd best piece. Are some combination of the others enough to make up for it? I would think the Leafs could do better elsewhere.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He's been pretty good in his role from what I've seen. 56% CF, over 50% on the draw as well which is pretty good from a player as young as he is. pretty much even usage in ozs/dzs. As the third center I think he would be fine, especially considering his low cap hit for next season.

We would need a huge add to do that trade though.

Fair enough. I'm just not a fan of a bunch of lesser pieces for a good player though (regardless of which team is giving up the better player).

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Fair enough. I'm just not a fan of a bunch of lesser pieces for a good player though (regardless of which team is giving up the better player).
Yea I'm with you on that, personally I'd love to keep Kadri for this year and try to rid ourselves of Zaitsev/Marleau first to alleviate our cap problem.

Next year though if we're only spending $1.3M on our 3rd and 4th line centers combined (Wallmark,Gauthier), maybe we could go after a big fish on RD or LW in free agency or trade.

All hypotheticals of course, but I'd consider it if Carolina put a huge package on the table.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Lets go! Make some deals already. A 2yr defender like Muzzin and trade out Jake.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Canes likely wouldn't move Necas, the top piece, and Leafs wouldn't have interest in Bean, the 2nd best piece. Are some combination of the others enough to make up for it? I would think the Leafs could do better elsewhere.

1st+Kuokkanen would be a surefire yes IMO. To a lesser extent 2nd+ Kuokkaken, 1st+Gauther/Saarela. Once you look at trading Kadri options are limited, and it comes with an acceptance that you're downgrading at 3C to save money. Like I've said the only two really attractive options that I think could be reasonably expected to be available are Wallmark and Faksa. Stars fans are agreeable to something of the like of Faksa+2nd+Mascherin. Faksa would obviously be the preferred choice at 3C from a purely on ice perspective, but at the cost of 1.5 million in extra capspace and the worse futures adds? Tougher question

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Trading kadri has to be for a "hockey trade". You deal a player like kadri than you need to be getting a nice rhd coming back as that fills our biggest hole on the roster. Getting the canes 1st+ prospect along with wallmark doesnt help us. The 1st rounder will take 2-3 years before they are nhl ready and the prospects there are not enough or fill a void for us. Wallmark is a target but the leafs should not be offering kadro for him. Kadri for Pesce is the deal we need to target. Wallmark if the canes would be willing would be nice but it's not the end of the world as we can put nylander at 3rd line center and see how things go.

That's very limited thinking.

Wallmark- back fills Kadri
3.8 million in savings - allows us to retain our 2nd tier of RFA's and sign a RHD in free agency (Helps us)
A borderline NHL LW with top 6 upside - contributes to the top 9 over the next two years (mainly 20-21) on an ELC (Helps us)
A 1st round pick NHL ready in 2-3 years - contributes on an ELC when cap crunch 2.0 comes along (Rielly/Andersen) or can be used as trade capital (Helps us)

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised though if Carolina is on Kadri's 10 team no trade list. I mean, the team hasn't been in the playoffs for 10 years so the Canes are probably on most players no trade list. :laugh:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No problem with adding McQuaid if you use him properly. 6th D-man, huge PK minutes, very little 5 on 5.

Problem is that we have Babcock as a coach and he would easily play 20-22 minutes a night here.
If McQuaid is in, who is out?
Rielly...Hainsey
Muzzin...Zaitsev
Gardiner/Dermott...McQuaid(RHD)

Don’t see McQuaid getting top 2 minutes.
We should be looking at moving one of Gardiner/Zaitsev for a heavier forward.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
If McQuaid is in, who is out?
Rielly...Hainsey
Muzzin...Zaitsev
Gardiner/Dermott...McQuaid(RHD)

Don’t see McQuaid getting top 2 minutes.
We should be looking at moving one of Gardiner/Zaitsev for a heavier forward.

The question then becomes who does the heavier forward replace when we have a full lineup? Ennis I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad