Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
McQuaid is literally Polak, didn’t we ran Polak out of town?
We did. Polak, Martin and Leo all had elements that this team lacks now. I'm not advocating bringing those 3 back per say cause they got old but the youngsters skated 2 inches taller with them on the team. Let's bring that back and rid ourselves of some dead weight. mostly the Innis' and Lindholms etc.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We did. Polak, Martin and Leo all had elements that this team lacks now. I'm not advocating bringing those 3 back per say cause they got old but the youngsters skated 2 inches taller with them on the team. Let's bring that back and rid ourselves of some dead weight. mostly the Innis' and Lindholms etc.

Replace Connor Brown with a Bruising top 9 player. Replace hainsey with either Gudas or McQuaid.

I think we're set then

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Replace Connor Brown with a Bruising top 9 player. Replace hainsey with either Gudas or McQuaid.

I think we're set then

Hainsey is better than McQuaid, so why are the Leafs downgrading their defense just to get physicality?

The Leafs are not going to sit Hainsey. Besides the obvious, which is that he is far too good to be sitting and likely better than whatever replacement you bring in, but the cap does not work either.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009

I think we're set then
I like the way you think brother! As Kim Mitchell would say, To0 many feathers and not much chicken ha ha.

Reactions: OVO16

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
True but I would rather someone on the 4th line than 6th Dman

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Toronto - Columbus
Nazem Kadri and Connor Brown
for
Josh Anderson and Boone Jenner

Toronto - Carolina
Andreas Johnsson, Jeremy Bracco, 2020 2nd/3rd
for
Brett Pesce

Toronto - West Team
Jake Gardiner
for
1st RDP

Toronto - Los Angeles
Andreas Borgman
for
Kyle Clifford ($600,000 ret)

Trade Zaitsev in the Off Season

Anderson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Marleau - - Jenner - - - Kapanen
Clifford - - - Gauthier - - - Ennis

Rielly - - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Hainsey is better than McQuaid, so why are the Leafs downgrading their defense just to get physicality?

The Leafs are not going to sit Hainsey. Besides the obvious, which is that he is far too good to be sitting and likely better than whatever replacement you bring in, but the cap does not work either.

That's very arguable that Hainsey is better. Hainsey and McQuaid are both locks for 3rd pairing minutes. The thing is our defense may be greater than the sum of its parts with McQuaid - he may not be quite as poised but he will change how we play and how teams play us for the better since it's a severe area of need.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
In a heartbeat.
Think that means CLB doesn't even consider.

All 3 bring the heavy game we lack..

Edit
Seems that Savard is struggling , thought he was a surefire number 4
Are you serious?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I wonder if a Zaitsev for Savard swap is possible.

Both could use a fresh start

I am okay with that. I think Savard would be a good fit for any of Rielly, Dermott or Muzzin going forward, but TBH, Zaitsev would be a good fit for any of them too.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In a heartbeat.
Think that means CLB doesn't even consider.

All 3 bring the heavy game we lack..

Edit
Seems that Savard is struggling , thought he was a surefire number 4
If you want to make the Leafs worse, then yes it's a great trade.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Toronto - Columbus
Nazem Kadri and Connor Brown
for
Josh Anderson and Boone Jenner

Toronto - Carolina
Andreas Johnsson, Jeremy Bracco, 2020 2nd/3rd
for
Brett Pesce

Toronto - West Team
Jake Gardiner
for
1st RDP

Toronto - Los Angeles
Andreas Borgman
for
Kyle Clifford ($600,000 ret)

Trade Zaitsev in the Off Season

Anderson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - - Tavares - - - Marner
Marleau - - Jenner - - - Kapanen
Clifford - - - Gauthier - - - Ennis

Rielly - - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Dermott
Hainsey - Zaitsev

Jenner isn't really a center.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Knowing Babs he'd sit Dermott in favour of McQuaid

Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Zaitsev
Gardiner McQuaid

:ha:
McQuaid only makes sense as a spare RHD. But is he really better than Ozighanov?
Physically he is better, but skating, puck moving and passing I'd say Ozi is better. Heck he wasn't even bad defensively for a # 5/6.
Is giving up a 3rd rounder worth gettin a arguably # 8 d man?
To me its

Reilly

Muzzin
Gardiner
Dermott

Hainsey
Zaitsev

And pretty closely
McQuaid
Ozighanov
Marincin

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
McQuaid only makes sense as a spare RHD. But is he really better than Ozighanov?
Physically he is better, but skating, puck moving and passing I'd say Ozi is better. Heck he wasn't even bad defensively for a # 5/6.
Is giving up a 3rd rounder worth gettin a arguably # 8 d man?
To me its

Reilly

Muzzin
Gardiner
Dermott

Hainsey
Zaitsev

And pretty closely
McQuaid
Ozighanov
Marincin

I think based on what McQuaid brings he can be swapped for Oz and we would be better for it, even if they are more or less equal. McQuaid is playing 18m a night, sometimes, 20m... Oz in the 12m range lately.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Knowing Babs he'd sit Dermott in favour of McQuaid

Rielly Hainsey
Muzzin Zaitsev
Gardiner McQuaid

:ha:
It's honestly infuriating but you're right. I still don't understand what the hell he's doing with Muzzin. Guy played like a beast in the first couple games and then as soon as we let in a couple goals he gets punted for Hainsey again.

He only had 7 games this year where he played less than 20 minutes a night in LA. Already has 8 in 9 games with us.

Hainseys been over 20 minutes a night 4 times in those 9 games.

If you add Mcquaid you're just asking for trouble with Babcock.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
We can't add a d-man without one going out. There is just no way Babs would sit either Hainsey or Zaitsev so we'd be looking at Dermott in the press box which ultimately makes us much weaker.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
McQuaid would add some toughness to the D and he's the type of player Dubas could get cheaply

Something could be happening Rangers have just made this trade

OFFICIAL: #NYR have acquired defenseman Darren Raddysh from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Peter Holland
. pic.twitter.com/cRotUNudoG
— New York Rangers (@NYRangers) February 19, 2019

Dreger mentioned McQuaid as a potential target this morning. The guy played for the Bruins against us last year. He should have some valuable intel on the Bruins as well as bring that toughness.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Dreger mentioned McQuaid as a potential target this morning. The guy played for the Bruins against us last year. He should have some valuable intel on the Bruins as well as bring that toughness.
For sure his toughness is valued for playoff teams and there could be a number of teams after him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad