Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No problem with adding McQuaid if you use him properly. 6th D-man, huge PK minutes, very little 5 on 5.

Problem is that we have Babcock as a coach and he would easily play 20-22 minutes a night here.
And Dermott would be dropped to less than 15:00 minutes per game to boot.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I just don't see a deal that makes sense for the Leafs. Call me a pessimist but I just don't see it. I don't see them trading Hainsey or Gardiner to make the necessary space. We're also not trading Kapanen, Liljegren and Sandin, and unlikely to trade Johnsson as well... so... I don't see much of an upgrade outside of maybe replacing Lindholm with someone that plays heavier.

I expect a depth move or two, mostly impacting the Marlies.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I just don't see a deal that makes sense for the Leafs. Call me a pessimist but I just don't see it. I don't see them trading Hainsey or Gardiner to make the necessary space. I don't see much of an upgrade outside of maybe replacing Lindholm with someone that plays heavier. We're also not trading Kapanen, Liljegren and Sandin, and unlikely to trade Johnsson as well... so...

I'd be down for some Marlies moves. They need the help.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Leafs - Rangers
Timothy Liljigren, Connor Brown, Nikita Zaitsev
and 2020 3rd (conditional on Pionk's performance)
for
Chris Kreider and Neal Pionk

Leafs - Hurricanes
Andreas Johnsson and 2020 2nd
for
Brett Pesce

Leafs - Western Conf Contender
Jake Gardiner
for
1st RDP or 2nd + Prospect

Leafs - Kings
Kyle Clifford (600,000 ret) for Borgman

KREIDER - MATTHEWS - NYLANDER
HYMAN - - - TAVARES - - - MARNER
MARLEAU - - - KADRI - - - KAPANEN
CLIFFORD - - -LINDHOLM - - - ENNIS

RIELLY - - - - -PESCE
MUZZIN - - - - PIONK
DERMOTT - HAINSEY

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I just don't see a deal that makes sense for the Leafs. Call me a pessimist but I just don't see it. I don't see them trading Hainsey or Gardiner to make the necessary space. We're also not trading Kapanen, Liljegren and Sandin, and unlikely to trade Johnsson as well... so... I don't see much of an upgrade outside of maybe replacing Lindholm with someone that plays heavier.

If the price is right I could see pressboxing Dermott to try
Rielly-Jensen
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey

down the stretch. If it works the benefits could be huge, with his lack of track record we could probably get Jensen on a 2 year at Hainsey money or less

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If the price is right I could see pressboxing Dermott to try
Rielly-Jensen
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-Hainsey

down the stretch. If it works the benefits could be huge, with his lack of track record we could probably get Jensen on a 2 year at Hainsey money or less

Maybe but I'd be shocked if they press boxed Dermott. He hasn't been the hottest in the past couple weeks but he's still pretty good and the only way he gets better is if he plays. Not sure Jensen would be an upgrade and him playing top pairing with Rielly is a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Also, Jensen is likely the more sought after rental RHD at this time. He's going to cost a decent return of future assets purely based on a bad trade market. The Leafs don't exactly have picks to burn for someone likely walking.

I will say that the best thing to do would be to sell Hainsey for as many picks as possible to a playoff team in the west and then go after Jensen or maybe even McQuaid if the Leafs like him enough. You don't want to trade a veteran before entering the playoffs but with Muzzin, I think it's a good offset. It's just not going to happen though.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not sure Jensen would be an upgrade and him playing top pairing with Rielly is a disaster waiting to happen to me.

Don't know about that, pretty good results in heavy usage with worse d partners than Rielly and forwards that are certainly no better

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Anyone expecting more than that is just setting themselves up for disappointment IMO

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I wonder if Lou would want Zaitsev back after giving him that contract...

Zaitsev+ for Mayfield ?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I assume you are referring to me:

1) Leafs are my 2nd team and I have been posting on the Leafs board for a few years. Not always agreeing with every poster, but I don't agree with all Canes posters either and will state that in those threads as well.

2) If you are considerate and provide good feedback, there won't be any infractions.

If I, or any poster, comes in here and be rude, trolling or condescending, then sure, but I don't feel I've done that.
You have not been rude in the slightest.

I was more so referring to the nonsense we have to deal with if we make a post on another team's board.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
What about this,

To Toronto
Jenner
Anderson
Savard

To Columbus
Kadri
Kapanen
Zaitsev

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Why are so many people obsessed with Clifford? We can't afford him, we need all the cap space we can get next season and if we can't justify 2.1M for Brown (which seems to be generally agreed upon), how can we justify 1.6 for Clifford?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014

100% agree. I think if they make a move, its to bring in a more physical 4th line LW. I think most of the deals for the top 4 RHD make sense for the offseason, with Gardiner and Hainsey being free agents (and we don't have to mess with our current lineup)

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
100% agree. I think if they make a move, its to bring in a more physical 4th line LW. I think most of the deals for the top 4 RHD make sense for the offseason, with Gardiner and Hainsey being free agents (and we don't have to mess with our current lineup)

I disagree on the meaning of the depth move tbh. They'll make a move similar to the plekanec and boyle trades, but with lesser assets.

Think a 3rd for Jensen or a 4th for say Hagelin at 50%.

Anything outside of a rental I'd be shocked by.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No to Mcquaid unless

a) Connor Brown is going the other way

b) Babcock staples him to 3rd pairing minutes.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No to Mcquaid unless

a) Connor Brown is going the other way

b) Babcock staples him to 3rd pairing minutes.
Hey, there's no telling Babcock how to use the players. He'll use them as he sees fit. Period, end of story.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Why are so many people obsessed with Clifford? We can't afford him, we need all the cap space we can get next season and if we can't justify 2.1M for Brown (which seems to be generally agreed upon), how can we justify 1.6 for Clifford?
I'm only interested in him with 50% salary retention. He has an extra year, that would actually help with the cap crunch by providing cheap depth instead of making it more challenging.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
A lot of people might not agree with me on this......but getting McQuaid would give us that much needed psychological boost we need in the inevitable 1st rd matchup against the Bruins.

Albeit its a small thing, but could turn out to be big in a potential series with the Bruins. The fact that he was a former Bruin and eliminated the leafs twice...I truly think he can help

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Hainsey and McQuaid literally have the same skill level. Which isn't much...But the Problem is Babcock uses Hainsey as a 1st pairing Defenseman.

I'd much rather have McQuaid over Hainsey because he provides us with something we lack.

If we get McQuaid, there's no way in hell Babcock will think of pairing McQuaid with Reilly. If anything, trading away Hainsey and replacing him with McQuaid will force Babcock to try the combinations we've all been wanting.

Reilly-Dermott
Muzzin-Zaitsev
Gardiner-McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad