Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v9 - Deadline Looming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So does anyone know how much cap space we will have to play with by Monday? I know we have to keep about 3.5 for bonuses.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
So does anyone know how much cap space we will have to play with by Monday? I know we have to keep about 3.5 for bonuses.
Could be wrong but i think it's like 700k. Would really like to clear the $6.6M that Zaitsev and Brown combine for.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Could be wrong but i think it's like 700k. Would really like to clear the $6.6M that Zaitsev and Brown combine for.

DOesnt it accrue over the year? 1 million cap space for the year lets us add tons of salary.... cap friendly has a ton of deadline space. I just don’t know how it gets added with muzzin coming in halfway through and the bonuses

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
DOesnt it accrue over the year? 1 million cap space for the year lets us add tons of salary.... cap friendly has a ton of deadline space. I just don’t know how it gets added with muzzin coming in halfway through and the bonuses

According to Capfriendly, we have 20M to play with.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Gardiner, Johnsson & 2020 2nd
For
Ferland & Pesce

Kyle Clifford (600,000 ret) for Borgman

Connor Brown, Jeremy Bracco, Nikita Zaitsev
For
Brandon Montour

Ferland - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - - Tavares - - Marner
Marleau - - - Kadri - - Kapanen
Clifford - - Gauthier - - Ennis

Rielly - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Montour
Dermott - Hainsey

Reactions: FishManSam

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
For
Ferland & Pesce

For
Brandon Montour

Rielly - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Montour
Dermott - Hainsey

Why would Carolina want Gardiner now?

Clifford trade would be nice. I'd also be down with Kassian or Maroon.

Dont think that's enough for Montour and to dump Zaitsev. Probably needs more, or a retention on Zaitsev of some sort.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Bruins are looking to add a goal scorer which should make them better. A RHD is a must and a PF LWer is gravy. Everything being equal one way I see us beating the Bruins is if we ride our thoroughbreds heavily. Matthews has complained about ice time in the past. Give it to him and see how he responds.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I wonder if we make a few minor moves to try and strengthen the Marlies for the stretch drive. Holl on waivers possibly, maybe add a couple centers like Peter Holland, Alan Quine, or Tyler Graovac. If you add two of them:

Moore-Holland-Marchment
Timashov-Graovac-Bracco
Engvall-Mueller-Carcone
McMaster-Brooks-Gagne

Rosen-Liljegren
Sandin-Holl
Marincin-Borgman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Bruins are looking to add a goal scorer which should make them better. A RHD is a must and a PF LWer is gravy. Everything being equal one way I see us beating the Bruins is if we ride our thoroughbreds heavily. Matthews has complained about ice time in the past. Give it to him and see how he responds.
Junior has 7 days left to give the Leafs a real chance, better get to it.............

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Junior has 7 days left to give the Leafs a real chance, better get to it.............

I don't think he has the assets to get us what we need. Small adds and roll the dice. If we lose but play well, better luck next year. If we lose and suck, the honeymoon is over for Shanny, Dubbie, and Babs.

Reactions: FishManSam

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
For
Ferland & Pesce

For
Brandon Montour

Rielly - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Montour
Dermott - Hainsey

The Canes don't want a Dman in return. They are already stacked on D. They need scoring.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Why would Carolina want Gardiner now?

Clifford trade would be nice. I'd also be down with Kassian or Maroon.

Dont think that's enough for Montour and to dump Zaitsev. Probably needs more, or a retention on Zaitsev of some sort.
Carolina is trying to make the playoffs, so Gardiner would fill in for Pesce, and can be their rental, just like Ferland for us

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina is trying to make the playoffs, so Gardiner would fill in for Pesce, and can be their rental, just like Ferland for us

It makes no sense no matter how people try to twist it. The Canes need scoring and talent in the top 9 they'll just keep Ferland rather than trade him for a LHD rental.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Need to keep 3.7M free for bonuses. Projected cap space is about 4.3M, which leaves 600K of space available. However, you can multiply that 600K by 4.65 at the TDL as the player will be only the team for only a small portion of the season. So the Leafs can add just shy of 2.9M in salary on TDL day. (So, if they waived a 800K player they would have 3.7M, or if they traded a $2M player in the transaction they would have nearly $5M.) If the contract(s) coming in are expiring, it would probably also be pretty easy to convince the team to retain enough to give the Leafs room.

Having said that, I don't think we should really be making any more trades. The team is good enough to beat anyone, and their playoff fate will be determined by how well they play on the ice, not how nice their line combos look on paper.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I don't think he has the assets to get us what we need. Small adds and roll the dice. If we lose but play well, better luck next year. If we lose and suck, the honeymoon is over for Shanny, Dubbie, and Babs.
with the Muzzin trade and the mere 5 years for AM, the clocks ticking................

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Pickup Jensen + Glendenning for Brown + pick imo is a good base. Can add lesser prospects like Borgman, Holl, 3rd etc. It just seems like an obvious trade to make. Get a Kempny level pickup and don’t break the bank.

I don’t think Zaitsev play is that concerning. He’s going to look cheap in a couple years even if he’s not putting up 30 points a year. RHD always are a premium position, he’s relatively young and can skate. I get current state it isn’t ideal for him to make 4.5 mill but once cap goes up more it’ll be fine.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
For
Ferland & Pesce

For
Brandon Montour

Rielly - - - Pesce
Muzzin - Montour
Dermott - Hainsey
No shot Anaheim does that.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018

So the trade is essentially Johnsson + 2nd rounder for Pesce. Doesn’t make sense for both teams to swap rentals, especially when Carolina need more scoring.

And I’d rather we not trade our best LW for Pesce.

Pickup Jensen + Glendenning for Brown + pick imo is a good base. Can add lesser prospects like Borgman, Holl, 3rd etc. It just seems like an obvious trade to make. Get a Kempny level pickup and don’t break the bank.

Detroit can trade these players separately and receive more. And Glendening is more valuable to the wings than Brown at 2.1m would be. Also Glendening at 1.8m is steep for a 4th line C, Detroit would have to retain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad