Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Unless you're getting someone with good term or an extension agreed upon to prior, I don't think trading top 60 picks or our better prospects makes sense right now.

I had tweeted earlier about this but I guess it works now as well;

If Dubas can not add to the defense and we continue to look mediocre, just trade Gardiner. Use the assets from him in the off-season to add a defenseman.

My reasoning is simply we're not winning a cup with the current group of defenseman, it needs to be improved.

I know you don't usually trade off pieces if you're going into the playoffs but I think being realistic about who we are and where we're at is just as important.

The 1st has to be lottery protected at the very least, that pick turning into a top 3 pick would be catastrophic if we traded it

I wouldn't mind getting value for Gardiner either, I can't see us doing it but I'd be thinking about it if I was the GM

I want to see how Dermott-Zaitsev continue to look. That was easily one of Zaitsev's better games I have seen in the last few months. If they can continue to look like that, it is easier.

Might also be able to finally get Rosen in on the 3rd pairing this way.

I thought Zaitsev was slightly better, he still doesn't move the puck well enough for me to want to keep him

He's skating with the puck now though, it's an interesting change and he can really skate

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Trouble with that situation is then you're going into the stretch run with an unproven defense. That might have been okay in the previous 2 years, but I don't think that they gamble on it this year.

They've got to make some sort of impact in the playoffs & I don't think making that switch from Gardiner to Rosen is going to be good enough for them. I have no problem with them moving on from Gardiner, but the return has to be equivalent.

Would anyone be upset if we moved Gardiner and Jooris for Bittner, Cross and a 1st from Columbus, then flipped Brown, Bittner, Timashov and our 2nd for Martinez and Thompson? I know I am beating a horse I have been going on about for months, but now that it is more of an open idea...

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Thompson-Lindholm-Ennis
Gauthier

Rielly-Martinez
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen-Hainsey
Marincin-Ozhiganov

Andersen-Sparks

Options: Rotate Ozhiganov and Hainsey, or acquire a rental like Jensen for Holl and futures for our bottom pairing and have Hainsey shift over to the left. I'm not going to do this for now.

Engvall-Mueller-Bracco
Grundstrom-Trade-Gagner
Marchment-Brooks-Moore
Carmine-Greening-Gagne
Clune/ECHL depth

Borgman-Liljegren
Sandin-LoVerde
Cross-Oleksy
Jardine-Corrado
LeBlanc

Hutchinson-Kaskisuo

Trade McAdam and Subban for an AHL 2C vet.

Reactions: hockeynorth

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Would anyone be upset if we moved Gardiner and Jooris for Bittner, Cross and a 1st from Columbus, then flipped Brown, Bittner, Timashov and our 2nd for Martinez and Thompson? I know I am beating a horse I have been going on about for months, but now that it is more of an open idea...

Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Thompson-Lindholm-Ennis
Gauthier

Rielly-Martinez
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen-Hainsey
Marincin-Ozhiganov

Andersen-Sparks

Options: Rotate Ozhiganov and Hainsey, or acquire a rental like Jensen for Holl and futures for our bottom pairing and have Hainsey shift over to the left. I'm not going to do this for now.

Engvall-Mueller-Bracco
Grundstrom-Trade-Gagner
Marchment-Brooks-Moore
Carmine-Greening-Gagne
Clune/ECHL depth

Borgman-Liljegren
Sandin-LoVerde
Cross-Oleksy
Jardine-Corrado
LeBlanc

Hutchinson-Kaskisuo

Trade McAdam and Subban for an AHL 2C vet.

If you're picking up a top 4 defenseman & a 4th line centreman, I'm okay with giving up that in return.

I'm not huge on Martinez though. If anyone from that defense, it's Muzzin.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Trouble with that situation is then you're going into the stretch run with an unproven defense. That might have been okay in the previous 2 years, but I don't think that they gamble on it this year.

They've got to make some sort of impact in the playoffs & I don't think making that switch from Gardiner to Rosen is going to be good enough for them. I have no problem with them moving on from Gardiner, but the return has to be equivalent.

I think the real trouble is that we're going into the stretch run with an unproven defense anyway. If we continue to lose in Jan & Feb then this only exacerbates this. We aren't good enough to do damage in the playoffs this year. The real gamble is that we continue to let decent UFAs walk for nothing and don't use the opportunity to stockpile additional talent in the pipeline. I don't agree that we need to return a Gardiner equivalent if he's being moved - ideal, yes, but not a requirement, not this year anyway.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The 1st has to be lottery protected at the very least, that pick turning into a top 3 pick would be catastrophic if we traded it

I wouldn't mind getting value for Gardiner either, I can't see us doing it but I'd be thinking about it if I was the GM

I thought Zaitsev was slightly better, he still doesn't move the puck well enough for me to want to keep him

He's skating with the puck now though, it's an interesting change and he can really skate

Oh, I wouldn't keep him. If I could move him, I would.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If you're picking up a top 4 defenseman & a 4th line centreman, I'm okay with giving up that in return.

I'm not huge on Martinez though. If anyone from that defense, it's Muzzin.

Muzzin is a LD and far more expensive. Martinez is a RD and less expensive. Not by much, but no firsts or huge prospects. Brown is the biggest loss TBH.

We got a full round upgrade, Martinez and Thompson for Brown, Gardiner and Timashov. I think we do pretty well for ourselves and still have a competitive team. If not more competitive.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Also Chia gonna Chia and extends Koskinen for 3 more years @ $4.5 AAV :laugh:

25 games in the NHL as a 30 year old, with a 0.911 SV%

I'd imagine the Oilers board is going nuts right now, I love the Oilers

When I'm feeling down about how the Leafs are playing I just think of the Oilers and I instantly feel better about my life

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think most people would but how we do it without taking salary back is the question

My question would also be the value on him. You do not move that guy for crap value just to dump him.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Some days I think it would be kinder if the league just relocated the Oilers to Houston.
hmmmmmmm, Houston Oilers, it does have a nice ring to it. Earl Campbell was my all time favorite football player, no quit in that guy............

Reactions: Menzinger

Albert Iafrate

Feb 29, 2008
How about we take advantage of the situation in Edmonton.

Talbot
PoolParty

for

Sparks

4M in cap space for PoolParty, and we improve our backup situation.

Thoughts?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
How about we take advantage of the situation in Edmonton.

Talbot
PoolParty

for

Sparks

4M in cap space for PoolParty, and we improve our backup situation.

Thoughts?
done, have to address goalie depth at the end of the season though?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
done, have to address goalie depth at the end of the season though?

Not really.

We’d have Freddy as our starter, and Woll, Scott and Kaskisuo on the AHL/ECHL.

So we’d need to sign a backup. If Talbot does well he might only be looking at backupish money or we can keep Hutch or sign an FA

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Not really.

We’d have Freddy as our starter, and Woll, Scott and Kaskisuo on the AHL/ECHL.

So we’d need to sign a backup. If Talbot does well he might only be looking at backupish money or we can keep Hutch or sign an FA
true that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad