Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Waiting for the announcement ... Leafs land Top Pairing defender for picks and prospects.

Player under contract until after Marleau's off the books.

This is why I am all in on a Zaitsev + 1st + Prospect + whatever for Pietrangelo if he's available.

Sure, Pietrangelo only has next year left, but after next season, we have flexibility. Especially with that sweet expansion $$$ coming.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Will dubas ever make a deal. How can he be content with this roster. There are defenders to be had in gudas, muzzin, possibly Martinez, Pietrangelo(might be too costly). He cant really think this defense core will be able to win a playoff series. We need to upgrade 2 out of 3 of zaitsev, gardiner(next year can be done internally with dermott being able to gain more mins) and hainsey. If we arent in a position where we have the assets to buy, then sell players like brown, Gardiner, hainsey and accumilate assets for the offseason. Get into the playoffs having sold and look to turn things around after a quick exit. Not trading assets will be such a huge waste. Lou screwed us by keeping jvr, bozak, and komorov, and then sending 2nd round picks for rental 4th line players. Dubas has to avoid the same mistakes.

Reactions: Cobra777

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Will dubas ever make a deal. How can he be content with this roster.

There are defenders to be had in gudas, muzzin, possibly Martinez, Pietrangelo(might be too costly).

He cant really think this defense core will be able to win a playoff series. We need to upgrade 2 out of 3 of zaitsev, gardiner(next year can be done internally with dermott being able to gain more mins) and hainsey.

If we aren't in a position where we have the assets to buy, then sell players like brown, Gardiner, hainsey and accumulate assets for the off-season. Get into the playoffs having sold and look to turn things around after a quick exit.

Not trading assets will be such a huge waste.

Lou screwed us by keeping jvr, bozak, and komorov, and then sending 2nd round picks for rental 4th line players.

Dubas has to avoid the same mistakes.

He should only make trades that are at least medium term duration, unless the cost is little like some project prospect and 3rd. round pick.

You can't throw away assets every year with nothing to show for it.

If you're getting a player you have under control for more than 2 years, then moving assets for them does give you more than 2 years to recoup the cost.

Look at what the Flames did last summer:
  • Out: Doug Hamilton, Micheal Ferland, prospect Adam Fox
  • In: Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin
Who won?
Who gave up more?
Is Adam Fox the key piece for the 'Canes?

Sometimes it is more about finding the right fit? Hanifin and Lindholm are 4th. and 5th. for ice time for the Flames.

Maybe RD Fox wins the Norris some day, but right now Flames have to be pretty happy and have these players for another 5 years.

Be willing to pay a price and make a hockey trade.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Will dubas ever make a deal. How can he be content with this roster. There are defenders to be had in gudas, muzzin, possibly Martinez, Pietrangelo(might be too costly). He cant really think this defense core will be able to win a playoff series. We need to upgrade 2 out of 3 of zaitsev, gardiner(next year can be done internally with dermott being able to gain more mins) and hainsey. If we arent in a position where we have the assets to buy, then sell players like brown, Gardiner, hainsey and accumilate assets for the offseason. Get into the playoffs having sold and look to turn things around after a quick exit. Not trading assets will be such a huge waste. Lou screwed us by keeping jvr, bozak, and komorov, and then sending 2nd round picks for rental 4th line players. Dubas has to avoid the same mistakes.

We have absolutely no idea what's actually available for him. We assume Gudas, etc are available, but we don't know what kind of price GMs are asking. It's VERY possible that these GMs are perfectly willing to wait to the TDL to drive the price up and take advantage of a desperate team. Are you in favour of a desperation move? Be prepared for a Hall for Larsson type deal then.

Reactions: Kiwi and Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
We have absolutely no idea what's actually available for him. We assume Gudas, etc are available, but we don't know what kind of price GMs are asking. It's VERY possible that these GMs are perfectly willing to wait to the TDL to drive the price up and take advantage of a desperate team. Are you in favour of a desperation move? Be prepared for a Hall for Larsson type deal then.

I hope Dubas stays away from TDD and makes a/some hockey trades that you would make any time of the year, and if both teams win better still.

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
We really really need to make a move. We have played putrid hockey recently, so much so we could be in a wild card spot or out of the playoffs altogether soon.. it’s time to wake up

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
LEAFS - KINGS
Jake Muzzin & Kyle Clifford
for
Leafs 1st & Jeremy Bracco
HymanMatthewsNylander
JohnssonTavaresMarner
Marleau KadriKapanen
CliffordGauthierBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyMuzzinAndersen
GardinerHainseyHutchinson
DermottZaitsevor Sparks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: FishManSam

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
LEAFS - KINGS
Jake Muzzin & Kyle Clifford
for
Leafs 1st & Jeremy Bracco
HymanMatthewsNylander
JohnssonTavaresMarner
Marleau KadriKapanen
CliffordGauthierBrown
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
RiellyMuzzinAndersen
GardinerHainseyHutchinson
DermottZaitsevor Sparks
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Keep Clifford out of the deal and I'd do it. I think the Kings would want a Liljegren or Sandin though.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Yep, I'd prefer to do nothing than do something stupid

If a deal that's acceptable is out there fine, let's do it but forcing things is how you end up screwing yourself

Keep Clifford out of the deal and I'd do it. I think the Kings would want a Liljegren or Sandin though.

That would make that deal unacceptable to me

If I'm dealing Liljegren, Sandin with our 1st I want someone ideal coming the other way not a left shot were going to have to shoehorn into the lineup to make it work

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
That would make that deal unacceptable to me

If I'm dealing Liljegren, Sandin with our 1st I want someone ideal coming the other way not a left shot were going to have to shoehorn into the lineup to make it work
I agree. Muzzin would still be a nice get even though he is left handed. I'd rather him play his off side than Hainsey, thats for sure. But I dont think he has played the right side much.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree. Muzzin would still be a nice get even though he is left handed. I'd rather him play his off side than Hainsey, thats for sure. But I dont think he has played the right side much.

That's a lot to give up for a guy i'm not sure can play on the right and I certainly don't want Rielly swapping with how he's playing right now

Reactions: Jozay

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This is why I am all in on a Zaitsev + 1st + Prospect + whatever for Pietrangelo if he's available.

Sure, Pietrangelo only has next year left, but after next season, we have flexibility. Especially with that sweet expansion $$$ coming.

Nope, i am starting my deal for Petro with Melander

Reactions: Al14

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land

I don't think it's close on the trade though.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
You would think that Anaheim would be willing to make a move.

I’d look there for either some grit up front (Ritchie?) or a D (lots of options)

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Josh Manson would fit like a glove. 4m cap hit for the next four years I believe, the price would be steep though.

I have no interest in Ritchie

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I mean, prospect and whatever are pretty opened. Wasn’t meant to be an actual trade :laugh:

Ah.

My concern there would be though taking Zaitsev would be seen as negating some of the value of the potential package.

Say it was Kapanen, Zaitsev and a 1st, is that even enough?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ah.

My concern there would be though taking Zaitsev would be seen as negating some of the value of the potential package.

Say it was Kapanen, Zaitsev and a 1st, is that even enough?

Im of the belief that HF is a lot harder on Zaitsev and his value than NHL GM’s would be. That’s not to say people here are wrong, but GM’s are a lot more forgiving to defensive minute eating RHD’s than people here are.

We won’t get much value back, but Zaitsev isn’t a negative valued asset yet.

We’ll see eventually though, I don’t think Zaitsev is here next October, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he is included in a deal by the deadline

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't think it's close on the trade though.

Not so sure though, kapenen for example is a much better asset/player than either EK or Mcdonagh trades returned.

Though I think the aleafs wouldn’t want to give Kappy up if they’re trying to buy a player right now. I think Dubas would be more inclined to move out a Marlie or two instead

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Im of the belief that HF is a lot harder on Zaitsev and his value than NHL GM’s would be. That’s not to say people here are wrong, but GM’s are a lot more forgiving to defensive minute eating RHD’s than people here are.

We won’t get much value back, but Zaitsev isn’t a negative valued asset yet.

We’ll see eventually though, I don’t think Zaitsev is here next October, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he is included in a deal by the deadline

I totally agree.

Zaitsev has value to the right kind of Gm and coach ( I mean listen to bacock talk about the guy lol). Not to mention the “sweetener” to move out a bad contract is usually lower than HFboars thinks anyways, often it’s just like a 2nd in terms of raw value

Reactions: WestCoastLeafs

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Dermott, brown + 2nd for muzzin

Kadri for pesce

Hyman. Matthews . Kapanen
Johnsson. Tavares. Marner
Marleau. Nylander. Moore
Ennis . Goat. Lindholm

Rielly. Pesce
Muzzin. Gardiner
Hainsey. Zaitsev