Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I actually liked the idea of Puljujarvi and Talbot for Sparks and Brown. Only problem is that Brown has been worst than ice cold this season and I doubt he's been turning heads. He works hard and is capable of putting up decent numbers with more minutes... but I don't think his value is good enough for Edmonton to ever consider this. Only saving grace here is if they value CHL chemistry and a decent gamble that Brown can do a whole lot better in his natural positon with more minutes.

Edmonton clears around 2.5M of cap space this season (to add like they want?) and get a youngish (and likely cheap) goaltender to back up or split time with Koskinen.

Leafs likely clear about 1M or so cap space going into next season and someone they can try to develop a bit further.

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
he has scored 30 points only once and same goes for 20 goals. on pace for 27 points this season. It really isn't fair to even call him a 30 point winger let alone a 20 goal scorer. Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and call him a 30 point winger but as you and others say im not sure that has a lot of value, BUT he is a good pker that should add a little value to him. I think a 1st and brown could get a decent dman (I think)

edit: 1st, Brown, Bracco (or equivalent) that seems like a good dman rental price to me.

1st=1st (obviously)
Brown= young (ish) roster player
Bracco= exciting prospect

Rental price? Ya I agree, that as a package is pretty good value for a player you think is gonna walk or you can't re-sign.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Rental price? Ya I agree, that as a package is pretty good value for a player you think is gonna walk or you can't re-sign.

yeah if we are going all in, which dubas seems to have said he wants a dman with term. That package isn't too bad even for a dman with say 18 months left on his deal

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Obviously just for fun.

Zaitsev + Lily + Johnsson + 2019 1st for Pietro OR 2019 2nd + Johnsson for Tanev

2020 2nd + Brown for Gudas

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Grunstrom - Kadri - Marleau
Lindhom - Goat - Moore

Rielly - Pietro/Tanev
Gardiner - Gudas
Dermott - Hainsey

HS: OZ

That would be a fun team to watch.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think the real trouble is that we're going into the stretch run with an unproven defense anyway. If we continue to lose in Jan & Feb then this only exacerbates this. We aren't good enough to do damage in the playoffs this year. The real gamble is that we continue to let decent UFAs walk for nothing and don't use the opportunity to stockpile additional talent in the pipeline. I don't agree that we need to return a Gardiner equivalent if he's being moved - ideal, yes, but not a requirement, not this year anyway.

Yeah, that's true. The defense definitely isn't the strong point of the team. The only team that I think is the legit powerhouse in the East is Tampa. So I think it's a bit too early to say that the Leafs aren't suitable for a playoff run because each team has its warts and shortcomings.

The problem that I see about trying to pinpoint the year that the Leafs should turn the corner is that there will always be some reason as to why they won't be good enough. Top 4 defense, depth at forward, goaltending, etc. There's no guarantee that the Leafs will find themselves in this situation every year.

They need to make some decision with Jake and stick with it (lock him up or trade him). Dermott looks really good some games and then looks really young some other games, so I see the reasoning to keep Gardiner. But there needs to be some increase in the top 4 immediately.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I actually liked the idea of Puljujarvi and Talbot for Sparks and Brown. Only problem is that Brown has been worst than ice cold this season and I doubt he's been turning heads. He works hard and is capable of putting up decent numbers with more minutes... but I don't think his value is good enough for Edmonton to ever consider this. Only saving grace here is if they value CHL chemistry and a decent gamble that Brown can do a whole lot better in his natural positon with more minutes.

Edmonton clears around 2.5M of cap space this season (to add like they want?) and get a youngish (and likely cheap) goaltender to back up or split time with Koskinen.

Leafs likely clear about 1M or so cap space going into next season and someone they can try to develop a bit further.

Chiarelli will be banned from even managing a team again if he makes a deal like that!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Chiarelli will be banned from even managing a team again if he makes a deal like that!

He should have been fired when the Hall trade was done... he should have been fired when he traded Eberle... he should have been traded when he traded for Spooner... etc

Reactions: Menzinger

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Yeah, that's true. The defense definitely isn't the strong point of the team. The only team that I think is the legit powerhouse in the East is Tampa. So I think it's a bit too early to say that the Leafs aren't suitable for a playoff run because each team has its warts and shortcomings.

The problem that I see about trying to pinpoint the year that the Leafs should turn the corner is that there will always be some reason as to why they won't be good enough. Top 4 defense, depth at forward, goaltending, etc. There's no guarantee that the Leafs will find themselves in this situation every year.

They need to make some decision with Jake and stick with it (lock him up or trade him). Dermott looks really good some games and then looks really young some other games, so I see the reasoning to keep Gardiner. But there needs to be some increase in the top 4 immediately.

I don't disagree with some statements here - in theory yes we could compete. Problem is when you examine the specific makeups of these specific teams, it becomes clearer. Compiled with the fact that we've had issues folding as a young team and we don't play a heavy, gritty brand of hockey at all, and moreover when other teams play this style of hockey we tend to lose, it becomes clearer to me that we're in trouble in the East.

Montreal has heavy D, Pittsburgh's a gritty team, Columbus and Washington both play much heavier hockey than we do, and then you have Tampa and Boston. I like our chances a lot more against Buffalo and Carolina.

100% agreed on seeing what Dermott has though - needs to see top-4 minutes.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Press conference this morning. I wonder what it's about. I wonder if they are just addressing the cold streak. Hmmm

very likely a bunch of nothing talk.
"we will look to make out team better"
"if a deal makes sense we will do it"
"if not we are happy with our current team"
general GM speak

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I believe Babcock still doesn't know what he is doing with the forwards. Although I like the fact that he paired Matthews-Marner together, I do not like who he has paired with Tavares. Tavares himself has a niche of getting players going that play with him. Putting Kapanen on his winger rather then Nylander is a mistake. Kapanen and Marleau were fine with Kadri as they showed over the last couple of games. Lines should be as follows:

Brown-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Goat-Moore

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I believe Babcock still doesn't know what he is doing with the forwards. Although I like the fact that he paired Matthews-Marner together, I do not like who he has paired with Tavares. Tavares himself has a niche of getting players going that play with him. Putting Kapanen on his winger rather then Nylander is a mistake. Kapanen and Marleau were fine with Kadri as they showed over the last couple of games. Lines should be as follows:

Brown-Matthews-Marner
Hyman-Tavares-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Kapanen
Lindholm-Goat-Moore

Brown on the first line?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
96ED3293-CCFA-4F74-AED2-697AECDBC2B5.jpeg

Report: Hurricanes 'very likely' to move Ferland

Make it so Dubas.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We aren't a player, just heard Dubas tell media we're good so it must be true, lol.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Wouldn't be surprised we traded Kappy. Nylander took about 600k of his monies.
Hot Take. and True. Stealing from friends.

We need Kappy.

Hockey trade for Nylander except after July 1st is all that makes sense.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Unsigned.

Well, we likely lose Jake at the end of the season so if we get a defender and trade Jake. It could work out for us. There isn't much we can do with the Marleau contract or any of that stuff. I like Kappy a lot, I mean a lot! In a lot of ways more than Nylander even but not overall once Nylander gets going.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There is something wrong with Hamilton that everyone always wants to trade him. Pesce is intriguing but only at the right price.

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad