Trade and Free Agent Discussion Thread - 2018/2019 Season v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Vince Dunn intrigues me.

I wonder if he could be snatched for cheap. More of an offensive minded guy. Is only 22 and was a healthy scratch not long ago (ie may have fallen out of favour). A left handed shot, but with Gardiner potentially departing next season he’d have an opportunity here.

He’s not as good as Dermott, and just seems like a luxury on the third-pairing. Not really sure it’s worth it it to spend assets to acquire him

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't think he'll ever be a #1 guy, let alone an elite defenseman, but he is exactly the player the Leafs need. I also wouldn't give up a good roster player for him, but he's still worth some pretty valuable futures. I wonder if we could throw in Zaitsev

Yeah, I don't think Parayko is an elite D by any metric but he's still a massive upgrade on the right side for the Leafs. He would stabilize this team quite a bit by pushing other players down the depth chart.

I'd definitely go after him...the thing with these small market teams is that their players tend to get overrated because no one really watches them play...so none of their bad plays ever make news.

HFBoards thought Skjei was better than Rielly :facepalm:.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He’s not as good as Dermott, and just seems like a luxury on the third-pairing. Not really sure it’s worth it it to spend assets to acquire him

Slide Dermott or Rielly onto the right and you've got 3 of our top 4D sorted for the foreseeable future

That's pretty attractive imo

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Parayko is so overrated on this board....Jesus.

And I'm a fan of his game, my God...he's not this top pairing stud the leafs board seems to think he is.
You might be right, maybe he is overrated, which I agree with. But, theres not much doubt that this team looks so much better with him if Dubas traded for him. The defense simply isn't good enough or has enough size right now.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Gudas and Pysyk are ok fall back targets too

I prefer Gudas and Pysyk.
Both are dirt cheap, Gudas plays a hard nosed game and Pysyk is a modern day stay at home guy.

Reilly Gudas
Gardiner Pysyk
Dermott Hainsey
Ozi

Play Ozi in back to back scenarios to rest Hainsey for the playoffs.

Next year, where our cap crunch is the biggest...
Reilly Gudas
Dermott Pysyk
Rosen Ozi
Total D core.. under 15 million.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
You might be right, maybe he is overrated, which I agree with. But, theres not much doubt that this team looks so much better with him if Dubas traded for him. The defense simply isn't good enough or has enough size right now.

No, I agree he is a solid defenseman im just not buying into him being this star some people seem to think he is.

I'd love to add him for the right price. We've definitely got to inprove the Defense if we're going to take on Tampa.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Here's the problem with giving up the farm for Pie:

5v5Game Score/60P1/60CF%CF% relGF%GF% relxGF%xGF% rel ZSR
Alex Pietrangelo1.020.6949.943.4342.86-3.6947.95-0.1141.79
Jake Gardiner1.231.2549.25-1.17627.5749.890.2645.78
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Do we really want to sacrifice our beloved forward depth for a player who is a defensive upgrade on Gardiner (but an offensive downgrade), who is 28 and who also does not have a contract past next year?

Imagine trading William Nylander for 1.5 years of a slightly upgraded Gardiner.

If we don't win a cup in 1 of those 2 years, that's looked at as an all time bad trade. Especially if Pie walks for demands 8x10 on his next deal.

First of all. I have said many times I doubt it happens as the ask will be too high...so I am not sure if you are trying to convince me trading for him is no good? as I already said I would n't make that trade, but is likely the value. Not sure what you are trying to show me here.

2nd. Stats do not tell how good a player is or isn't. It just let's us know what happened under very specific circumstances. Do you not think Piet's stats wouldn't look better if he was 2nd pair on the Leafs? Saying Piet is a slightly better Gardiner is...well, got no words. I guess we can just give them Gardiner and a mid prospect and the Blues should jump all over it. I'm in if that's the case.

RLF

May 5, 2014
AP is not a slight upgrade over Gards. AP is a #1/#2 dman but I would not be willing to give up what I think he will cost, especially if he needs major surgery. I would set my target lower unless Blues want to unload him to the Leafs because AP wants to come home.

Ah, someone gets what I have been saying.

Reactions: ToneDog

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
This club will not make a significant trade. Their big move will be to retain Jake as an own rental. No cap space to play with so at best look for a RD on an expiring deal that could be picked up for a late 1st, so no Pietrangelo or Parayko. More of a pure second pairing guy at best. Once they have all their guys signed this summer they can do things differently.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This club will not make a significant trade. Their big move will be to retain Jake as an own rental. No cap space to play with so at best look for a RD on an expiring deal that could be picked up for a late 1st, so no Pietrangelo or Parayko. More of a pure second pairing guy at best. Once they have all their guys signed this summer they can do things differently.

Well they have plenty of cap space right now for this season, and they can go over in the off-season where they would have to make moves anyway to shed space.

Not sure if they'll make a big in-season move because those are usually short term rentals and I don't know if Dubas will sacrifice good assets at this time. Offseason is where you generally see those players with term traded though.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Im ok with it. No point in forcing a trade and getting bent.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
To STL

Timothy Liljegren
Andreas Johnsson
2019 1st
2020 2nd
Sean Durzi
Jake Gardiner (50% Retained)

To TOR

Pietrangelo
Maroon
2019 5th

To FLA

Zaitsev
Brown

To TOR

Mark Pysyk
Troy Brouwer
2019 3rd

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Maroon - Kadri - Marleau
Lindholm - Gauthier - Ennis
Brouwer

Reilly - Pietrangelo
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Hainsey - Pysyk
Rosen - Holl

Anderson
Sparks

PP1
Tavares - Matthews - Marner
Kadri - Reilly

PP2
Kapanen - Kadri - Nylander
Marleau - Pietrangelo

PK1(Heavy)
Patrick Maroon - Zack Hyman
Hainsey - Pysyk

PK2(Fast)
Lindholm - Ennis
Dermott - Zaitsev

Last edited:

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
To STL

Timothy Liljegren
Andreas Johnsson
2019 1st
2020 2nd
Sean Durzi
Jake Gardiner (50% Retained)

To TOR

Pietrangelo
Maroon
2019 5th

To FLA

Zaitsev
Brown

To TOR

Mark Pysyk
Troy Brouwer
2019 3rd

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Maroon - Kadri - Marleau
Lindholm - Gauthier - Ennis
Brouwer

Reilly - Pietrangelo
Dermott - Ozhiganov
Hainsey - Pysyk
Rosen - Holl

Anderson
Sparks

PP1
Tavares - Matthews - Marner
Kadri - Reilly

PP2
Kapanen - Kadri - Nylander
Marleau - Pietrangelo

PK1(Heavy)
Patrick Maroon - Zack Hyman
Hainsey - Pysyk

PK2(Fast)
Lindholm - Ennis
Dermott - Zaitsev

No. Just no.

Reactions: stickty111 and Kiwi

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Armchair GMing...how accurate are these extensions for our guys? Some variations I re-sign or let them walk etc but just wanted input as to the numbers I am using when I do keep them on.

2 yrs 1.75M per for Johnsson
3 yrs 3.25M per for Kapanen
1-2 years 800k for Sparks
8 yrs 11M per for Matthews
8 yrs 9M per for Marner
2 yrs 1.2M per for Ozhiganov
1 yr 1.5M for Hainsey
2-3 years 1.1M for Lindholm

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Armchair GMing...how accurate are these extensions for our guys? Some variations I re-sign or let them walk etc but just wanted input as to the numbers I am using when I do keep them on.

2 yrs 1.75M per for Johnsson
3 yrs 3.25M per for Kapanen
1-2 years 800k for Sparks
8 yrs 11M per for Matthews
8 yrs 9M per for Marner
2 yrs 1.2M per for Ozhiganov
1 yr 1.5M for Hainsey
2-3 years 1.1M for Lindholm

Lindholm is not making enough. The rest is probably fine, even though I do not see Hainsey being someone they bring back. I think you can get a bit less on Johnsson as well.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, he'd be a really nice fit. He checks like every single box for the Leafs.

I think it would actually push Kadri to the 2nd PP unit. We haven't had a point shot like his in a long time.

Kadri isn't a point shot guy though. Marner and Rielly play the points, so you'd push one of them down. Kadri is the net guy/tipper.

The Leafs could have him replace Gardiner though, and that would make Gardiner completely expendable.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Lindholm is not making enough. The rest is probably fine, even though I do not see Hainsey being someone they bring back. I think you can get a bit less on Johnsson as well.

I thought maybe up to 1.25M on Lindholm

Johnsson was tough to guess, his season has been up and down.

Hainsey is in some of my armchair gms and gone in others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad