GDT: Trade and Free Agency Thread -- To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Chara would be an excellent pickup, IMO.
Limit his minutes, mostly PK and late in the third.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not sold. I think he's looked worse and worse each year for the last probably 3
Honestly I've seen little of him but I would think that's expected.
Just his reputation and what he can get away with would add a little swagger, something sorely missing.

Reactions: geo25

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly I've seen little of him but I would think that's expected.
Just his reputation and what he can get away with would add a little swagger, something sorely missing.
He’d actually be a quality vet to add for a season, also he’s won a cup something the Jumbos and Marleaus hadn’t come close to achieving.

Reactions: geo25 and ACC1224

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
For me, a big no to Chara. Enough of the 'mentor', hand over the reigns and let them loose. We've got five guys over 30, 2 over 32, Spezza being our old hound dog. It's time for the this team to sink or swim on the backs of the core and a younger supporting cast. 13 players 26 or younger, non without experience in the league. They can or they can't. His whole career Ho Sang as sung his own praises, he's 25, put up or shut up, Ritchie has size, talent and physical skills others don't, use them consistently, Dermott's teased, take the next step, Bunting, now you can define who you are, Mikheyev/Kampf/Engvall, are you more than what you've showed to date, Kerfoot can you make a position your's, Liljegren step up! I'm not worried about Spezza, Muzzin, Brodie, Tavares, they're all professionals. But, Matthews, Rielly, Marner and Nylander, you've each had your moments over the past few years, now it's time for you to take over and win.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kessel submits a trade request

man.. not gonna lie. I would love to have Kessel back.

It would be fantastic at 50% retention but I struggle to find a fit.
I would take him back pretty easily. He's not what he used to be but still a good player. Overall I have liked the off seaason but we need a top 6 winger and he would be an option.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I would take him back pretty easily. He's not what he used to be but still a good player. Overall I have liked the off seaason but we need a top 6 winger and he would be an option.

The Leafs probably could move Nylander to the LW where he's played in the past and internationally, or put Kessel on 3rd line and feast on weaker opponents, similar to how he was used in Pittsburgh.

Either way... I'm hoping the Leafs inquire. It'll be hard to fit though and the price might be rough at 50% retention.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The Leafs probably could move Nylander to the LW where he's played in the past and internationally, or put Kessel on 3rd line and feast on weaker opponents, similar to how he was used in Pittsburgh.

Either way... I'm hoping the Leafs inquire. It'll be hard to fit though and the price might be rough at 50% retention.
Thats true. It's probably a long shot but we have the prospects to entice Arizona. I know Kessel wasn't a bad guy or anything, but I also don't know if it's good for PR to bring back a member from an era we rather forget about. I personally don't care about that but the organization might.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Thats true. It's probably a long shot but we have the prospects to entice Arizona. I know Kessel wasn't a bad guy or anything, but I also don't know if it's good for PR to bring back a member from an era we rather forget about. I personally don't care about that but the organization might.
Well, they could probably frame is as the vet with 2 Cup rings who has something left to prove.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I really think Rielly wants to be a Leaf for life, and hopefully Spezza and the way he has talked about wanting to just win a championship and would take less money if he could is going to rub off on some people.

He could get 9 on the open market, i think he signs 7 or 8 years 7-8 million a season with us.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Maybe part of the Matthews trade?

Kessel, Dvorak, Chychrun, 2 * 1st. and 4 * 2nd.?

Then send Calgary born Nylander, and UFA Rielly, 1st., 2nd. for Tkachuk and Andersson?

Might as well control when Matthews goes to the desert.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe part of the Matthews trade?

Kessel, Dvorak, Chychrun, 2 * 1st. and 4 * 2nd.?

Then send Calgary born Nylander, and UFA Rielly, 1st., 2nd. for Tkachuk and Andersson?

Might as well control when Matthews goes to the desert.

As much as you're being factious about dealing Matthews now, there is some value to this post in drawing attention to his contract in that Matthews only has this year and next on his contract where you have control and the last 3rd year has a full NMC where Matthews calls all the shots and then he is a UFA potentially after that.

So if this current season doesn't go as planned and there is a retrool in Toronto next year it would have to be something the organization might have to think about in 2022-23 to have a say and have control and guarantee a return.

This current season could be a pivotal one when it comes to long-term planning.

If Matthews were to leave the organization as a UFA how far back would it set the Leafs?

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
As much as you're being factious about dealing Matthews now, there is some value to this post in drawing attention to his contract in that Matthews only has this year and next on his contract where you have control and the last 3rd year has a full NMC where Matthews calls all the shots and then he is a UFA potentially after that.

So if this current season doesn't go as planned and there is a retrool in Toronto next year it would have to be something the organization might have to think about in 2022-23 to have a say and have control and guarantee a return.

If Matthews were to leave the organization as a UFA how far back would it set the Leafs?
That’s what the Hockey World said about Islanders with JT and they seemed to be doing better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

They'll have 18.5mm in capspace with Nylander and Matthews off the books?

What they should have is very little top end talent in the pipeline because they'll be a good regular season team until then.

Anyway, back to Kessel, don't see how he fits with the Leafs even at 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad