GDT: Trade and Free Agency Thread -- To trade or not to trade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Really? I dont see many hater posts with him. Those normally focus on Marner.

Yet all I ever see is "fire Engvall into the sun" and constant threads about how he doesn't even deserve to be on the team.

He's actually a good player.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
An ugly feature of human nature is to identify and actively undermine the weakest/most-outsider/easiest-target within a group. I guess Engvall is that player this season.

As far as I'm concerned, Engvall as a 3rd liner isn't ideal yet he's not in over his head. And on paper he's going to be depth for that kind of role anyways.

I don't feel that I suffer from whatever you are describing here. I, like many others from what it seems, neither "like" nor "hate" Engvall. IMO he is a serviceable 4th line player. He could develop into more but to do that he would either need to 1) improve with the puck or 2) become more physical. Otherwise, he's going to sit at that 4th line / replacement level IMO.

TheFloater

May 25, 2008
Mississauga
Apparently Reinhart is looking at a deal between $6-$7 AAV .. Yowza

I was just looking at Florida's cap situation and it is going to get ugly starting next year. They've got $6.5 mil in buyout penalty next year and Barkov to deal with along with a number of other forwards. The next year Weegar, Knight and Huberdeau are up. All with a $10MM underperforming goalie, large raises given to other players this summer and they still need to sign Reinhart. They look fine this year cap-wise, but I think something will have to give.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
That's kind of embarrassing for who ever wrote up that contract. It was obviously a simple fix, but shouldn't they know the rules beforehand? I'd have more understanding if the CBA was relatively new, but it has been in effect many years.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
That's kind of embarrassing for who ever wrote up that contract. It was obviously a simple fix, but shouldn't they know the rules beforehand? I'd have more understanding if the CBA was relatively new, but it has been in effect many years.

I looked up the variability rules and made a spreadsheet to check if a contract violated them in under 10 minutes.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wonder if the Leafs' are done their moves, pending any trades that might come to fruition.

I'd like a depth d-man but perhaps their plan is to roll out Sandin, Lily, and Dermott to see how they fare. If needed, then go to the market for one.

Still would like Chara to provide some depth and mentorship back there.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wonder if the Leafs' are done their moves, pending any trades that might come to fruition.

I'd like a depth d-man but perhaps their plan is to roll out Sandin, Lily, and Dermott to see how they fare. If needed, then go to the market for one.

i'm at the point where i'm hoping we're done. I'd rather our kids get a real shot rather than some retreads.

IF we do add another solid guy, like a chara or something, I would hope that would lead to a trade to upgrade the roster somewhere else while keeping spots open for the kids still.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
i'm at the point where i'm hoping we're done. I'd rather our kids get a real shot rather than some retreads.

IF we do add another solid guy, like a chara or something, I would hope that would lead to a trade to upgrade the roster somewhere else while keeping spots open for the kids still.

Yeah I'm thinking they roll with the kids and, if needed, they can add closer to the deadline. Dermott should be able to play a good full time roll and carry the bottom pair with Sandin and Liljegren rotating in .. If he can't, it's an indication that we may need to move on from him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I wouldn't really expect much more than Engvall for a pick/prospect kind of trade.

I'd much rather give the ball to Sandin, Dermott and Liljegren instead of blocking them with a bad/average veteran.

I think Menell, Biega, Dahlstrom and Kivihalme is a decent amount of "veteran" depth you can call-up from the Marlies. They have plenty of pro experience and they bring different skillsets based on need.

The only defenseman left over in free agency that would be really solid on a cheap deal is Jason Demers. I think he would be underrated just like Bogosian was. I'd throw a PTO to Jordie Benn to see how much game he has left. Little to no interest in Chara myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Chara is a risk I think. I would be afraid the history/veteran respect angle that got Jumbo and Simmonds used incorrectly would extend to Z even if his game had finally gone south. However I do see he was 5th in minutes for the Caps D so he appears to have adapted to less use. Maybe if they intend to move Dermott so he isn't in being played in front of two young LD it could work.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009

Sign Chara for a million or so, and then package Dermott and Kerfoot for upgrades up front. Opens up cap room, and allows one of the kids to play at least.

Reactions: geo25
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad