Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
It's nice to have guys like Foligno and Simmonds up front to stick up for the boys a bit,Also be a pain in the ass to play against.

Reactions: Lumberg

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If we can somehow acquire the series victory from the play-in, that!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Going to repost this from the end of the previous thread:

For those wondering whether this means Andersen is absolutely out until the playoffs, the answer so far is nope.

Before this trade the Leafs had $4.075m in LTIR relief remaining and need $5m to activate Andersen.

- Foligno uses $1.375m

The Leafs can still send down two players to the taxi:
- Barabanov adds $925k
- Marincin adds $700k

That would leave the Leafs with $4.325m in LTIR relief, and it’s actually enough to activate Andersen.

Teams cannot loan players to the AHL/Taxi after the trade deadline, however there are a few exceptions to that rule. One of those exceptions are players on Emergency Recall can be loaned.

Hutchinson is on Emergency Recall. So if the Leafs went with this plan, when Andersen is healthy they can assign Hutchinson, leaving the team with $5.05m in the LTIR pool—enough space to activate Andersen.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I think that's the consensus at this point. The price is high but Foligno fits and will be useful.

The first time he runs someone over people are going to fall in love. He plays like a real piece of shit as we can all remember from last summer.

Hope your right.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Not getting another defenseman puts a lot of pressure on Sandin and/or Liljegren if they have to play due to injury.
They'd be fine on a sheltered 3rd pair. The top 4 can handle more minutes if need be.

They aren't in any real danger unless 3 of the top 6 get injured and at that point I still think they would get the majority of offensive zone starts.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Alright, moving on...

Our only significant draft pick remaining in the 2021 Draft is a 2nd. I'll be curious to see if that goes as well, for a guy like Oleksiak, or if Kyle sees value in making at least 1 pick in the top 100 this year. The system is in good shape, so I wouldn't mind a scenario in which we didn't really have any picks left, as long as he plans to keep the majority of his picks next year. Our top 9 forward group and top 4 defensive group is going to be hard for any drafted prospects to break into over the coming years, and with a quality amount if talent in the system, I feel like we can "punt" on this draft, as long as we get back to making picks next year.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
If Andersen is back this season, I think it has to be salary in salary out moves at this point.

Blew their load on Foligno lol
We are left with just barely enough room to activate Andersen, seems unlikely that's a coincidence.

Reactions: Jozay

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Going to repost this from the end of the previous thread:

For those wondering whether this means Andersen is absolutely out until the playoffs, the answer so far is nope.

Before this trade the Leafs had $4.075m in LTIR relief remaining and need $5m to activate Andersen.

- Foligno uses $1.375m

The Leafs can still send down two players to the taxi:
- Barabanov adds $925k
- Marincin adds $700k

That would leave the Leafs with $4.325m in LTIR relief, and it’s actually enough to activate Andersen.

Teams cannot loan players to the AHL/Taxi after the trade deadline, however there are a few exceptions to that rule. One of those exceptions are players on Emergency Recall can be loaned.

Hutchinson is on Emergency Recall. So if the Leafs went with this plan, when Andersen is healthy they can assign Hutchinson, leaving the team with $5.05m in the LTIR pool—enough space to activate Andersen.

So Toronto getting double retention on Foligno is probably not about acquiring another player?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
More moves I think. I think a depth D and a goalie for sure. And possibly an upgrade at third line centre

Don't think we'll see something else of significance. I think it'll be depth player for depth player at most. I'd be shocked if they moved any of their current roster players right now.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
So Toronto getting double retention on Foligno is probably not about acquiring another player?

Very easily could be to simply get Anderson back in the lineup. That said, they could still make a small, depth add and do that. Nothing says that they can't get retention, or even double retention on another player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad