Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Thought Vatanen was on waivers?
Yea he reportedly was... I think the waiver process is something like 24 hours period where teams get a chance to put a claim in & the lowest seeded team who claims gets him, or he passes through.

Didn't know he could play during this time; also didn't expect NJ to play him since he's trade-bait.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I think even if Andersen is ready to come back before the end of the season they should wait till the playoffs.
There is only 15 games left, at best he plays what 5 games? Leave him on LTIR use the cap space and give him a conditioning stint in the AHL to get him some playing time just before the end of the year so he is ready if we need him in the playoffs

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
They'd be fine on a sheltered 3rd pair. The top 4 can handle more minutes if need be.

They aren't in any real danger unless 3 of the top 6 get injured and at that point I still think they would get the majority of offensive zone starts.
no they won't,,,,,,,,,,they will get f***ing steam rolled

1 is not even playing right now and they have a combined 14 games played in the last calendar year

these 21 year old KIDS
with next to 0 NHL games played are going to come into the POs and get the job done?????? LOLZZZZZZZZ

Reactions: ToneDog

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
It's going to be a D-man at this point. Either via low key trade for a guy like Oleksiak, Hakanpaa, Reilly, etc... Or a guy like Sami Vatanen via waivers.

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
With Andersen being out so long, and Campbell stepping up big time, and Hutchinson giving us serviceable relief, will Dubas just use Andersen (upon his return) as our insurance? Is he just as good as what we’d end up acquiring?
Don't get me wrong, I don’t think that’s ideal, but I wonder if that’s how Dubas sees it. Plus, it wouldn’t rock the boat dressing room wise.

Reactions: Korg

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

1 is not even playing right now and they have a combined 14 games played in the last calendar year

these 21 year old KIDS
with next to 0 NHL games played are going to come into the POs and get the job done?????? LOLZZZZZZZZ

The only laughable thing about this is the fact that you think Sandin and especially Liljegren would get steamrolled in the playoffs just because they haven't played a lot of games. They are better depth defensemen than most guys you will see on the market this year.

HC7

May 2, 2018
1 for 1 I think I'd rather Staal than Foligno. Nevermind the astronomical price we paid.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
So Toronto getting double retention on Foligno is probably not about acquiring another player?

Can’t say that for certain.

Can say if recalling Andersen is the plan then it wouldn’t have been possible without the double retention on Foligno or some other contract being shipped out.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I don't know guys.

Andersen hasn't skated since late March. Even if he was cleared to start skating tomorrow you'd think it's at least 10-14 days before he's back into game action. I don't think we'll see him start skating until 10ish days before playoffs.

Use the space tomorrow.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

these 21 year old KIDS
Liljegren has been trending similarily to Jake Bean and Shea Theodore. Those guys were able to step in and play just fine.

Do you honestly think these guys are just going to step in and be top 4 defensemen without playing any games some day?

Most guys get their chance either through injury or pushing their way into the lineup. Liljegren is currently doing the latter anyways.

If they can't handle it, Marincin/Rosen are just as capable as most depth guys around the league as well. Almost all of these guys have a major flaw preventing them from playing regularily.

The defensive depth is fine.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
With Andersen being out so long, and Campbell stepping up big time, and Hutchinson giving us serviceable relief, will Dubas just use Andersen (upon his return) as our insurance? Is he just as good as what we’d end up acquiring?
Don't get me wrong, I don’t think that’s ideal, but I wonder if that’s how Dubas sees it. Plus, it wouldn’t rock the boat dressing room wise.

Yup. This has been my read on the situation for a while now. If Andersen returns then he is the backup now, not enough roster spots/cap space and too many moving parts to bring in another goalie at this point.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Muzzin and Holl looked tired last game, and it wasn't even a back-to-back. I wonder if the Leafs don't bring a depth Dmen, if they'd rotate some of the Marlies. I think it'd be a good idea. I don't really care if we finish 1st or not.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Muzzin and Holl looked tired last game, and it wasn't even a back-to-back. I wonder if the Leafs don't bring a depth Dmen, if they'd rotate some of the Marlies. I think it'd be a good idea. I don't really care if we finish 1st or not.

After the deadline when accruing cap doesn't matter anymore, hoping they get Sandin/Liljegren into some games to get some guy some rest. Some of the guys up front should get rest too if the cap allows it.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm not sure how regualr recalls work this year with the taxi squad in effect but I would definitely give Sandin (when healthy) and Liljegren some games down the stretch to rest some guys and get them up to speed at this level.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm fine with this. I think both are more than capable with a sheltered 3rd line job at this point. Getting playoff experience would be huge for either.
11 and 29 NHL games played

,,,,how about they get some NHL experience before PO exp?

we are supposed to be going on a very serious cup hunt here

and you want to float test balloons on these 21 year old kids during that?

hard pass

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Agreed that Sandin and Liljegren need some reps with the team. Keefe has played the defense group into the ground this season, there needs to be some rotation to keep everyone fresh for playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad