Trade and Free Agency Thread - C'mon More Trades!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Muzzin and Holl looked tired last game, and it wasn't even a back-to-back. I wonder if the Leafs don't bring a depth Dmen, if they'd rotate some of the Marlies. I think it'd be a good idea. I don't really care if we finish 1st or not.

Keefe mentioned they wanted to give Sandin some games before the end of the year. Not sure it will happen but I do think they will give some maintenance games off to a couple guys.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
With Andersen being out so long, and Campbell stepping up big time, and Hutchinson giving us serviceable relief, will Dubas just use Andersen (upon his return) as our insurance? Is he just as good as what we’d end up acquiring?
Don't get me wrong, I don’t think that’s ideal, but I wonder if that’s how Dubas sees it. Plus, it wouldn’t rock the boot dressing room wise.

Based on the way Andersen has looked, it looks like it is his groin again. Given he has admitted he was playing on it while injured, and I believe this is far from his first one, it could realistically take the rest of the regular season and possibly even the playoffs for him to properly heal. Would not even be surprised if he needs surgery to properly heal it but the Leafs are likely being tight lipped about it so they don't lose their leverage on the trade market.

I really doubt the Leafs are bringing Andersen back before the start of the playoffs though.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Keefe mentioned they wanted to give Sandin some games before the end of the year. Not sure it will happen but I do think they will give some maintenance games off to a couple guys.

Yeah, but will that just be to replace Dermott's 12 ish minutes a night or will he take the place of Rielly or Muzzin to give them rest? I guess we'll see

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Wouldn't mind a lefty depth defender and maybe another goalie if Andersen is indeed that hurt.

But I'm glad they seemed to have gotten ahead of their competition in the winger market.

Reactions: Sypher04

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Based on the way Andersen has looked, it looks like it is his groin again. Given he has admitted he was playing on it while injured, and I believe this is far from his first one, it could realistically take the rest of the regular season and possibly even the playoffs for him to properly heal. Would not even be surprised if he needs surgery to properly heal it but the Leafs are likely being tight lipped about it so they don't lose their leverage on the trade market.

I really doubt the Leafs are bringing Andersen back before the start of the playoffs though.

Did we just give up a 4th round pick to San Jose, so we don't put Anderson on LTIR though? So I think he'll play at least some games before the playoffs

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Wouldn't mind a lefty depth defender and maybe another goalie if Andersen is indeed that hurt.

But I'm glad they seemed to have gotten ahead of their competition in the winger market

Not necessarily sure that is true. Guess we will see based on the other prices paid for Hall, etc. but this more looks like a desperation move after the Islanders added Palmieri/Zajac and the Lightning added Savard.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

But I'm glad they seemed to have gotten ahead of their competition in the winger market.

I would be offering up Barabanov for a defenseman that could potentially move in and out of the taxi squad. I don't mind him but he's not going to be here much longer, might as well give him a chance somewhere else.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I would be offering up Barabanov for a defenseman that could potentially move in and out of the taxi squad. I don't mind him but he's not going to be here much longer, might as well give him a chance somewhere else.

I agree. He seems like an obvious body that can be upgraded upon, into a depth position more needed.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I think they Leafs want to ensure they're able to lock up the division before resting guys. So probably another two weeks once all of those matchups against the Jets are past.

In all scenarios Dubas may be thinking Montreal in the first round is his best bet, since that leaves Edmonton and Winnipeg to dual it out in the other matchup. From there you'd hope McDavid/Draisaitl can carry the Oilers through Winnipeg's weak defense and Hellebyuck, setting up an Edmonton-Toronto second round match up.

Basically I believe Winnipeg is their toughest competition since they have the offensive depth to match the Leafs and a Vezina goalie that can steal a series. If they can avoid the Jets, I'll be happy.

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not necessarily sure that is true. Guess we will see based on the other prices paid for Hall, etc. but this more looks like a desperation move after the Islanders added Palmieri/Zajac and the Lightning added Savard.

It's possible. It was well known the Leafs were in the market for the best available forward. After seeing some dominoes fall Dubas probably thought this was the time to strike before tomorrow, where crazier things can happen. He probably would have regretted leaving this deal on the table if he ended up with nothing at 3pm.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I think they Leafs want to ensure they're able to lock up the division before resting guys. So probably another two weeks once all of those matchups against the Jets are past.

In all scenarios Dubas may be thinking Montreal in the first round is his best bet, since that leaves Edmonton and Winnipeg to dual it out in the other matchup. From there you'd hope McDavid/Draisaitl can carry the Oilers through Winnipeg's weak defense and Hellebyuck, setting up an Edmonton-Toronto second round match up.

Basically I believe Winnipeg is their toughest competition since they have the offensive depth to match the Leafs and a Vezina goalie that can steal a series. If they can avoid the Jets, I'll be happy.

I think I'd prefer to play Edmonton, instead of Montreal. In either case, I think Winnipeg will be there in the 2nd round.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Did we just give up a 4th round pick to San Jose, so we don't put Anderson on LTIR though? So I think he'll play at least some games before the playoffs

Depends on what else he has up his sleeve. It could mean we can acquire Vatanen (or any other more expensive depth defenseman) and a goalie without having to retain on either. That may end up saving us more than a late 4th round pick, especially since retaining on Foligno could equate to a lower price than the retention on those other two guys combined.

Also opens up flexibility to have guys like Bogosian, Thornton, Simmonds, etc. to sit games for rest without putting them on waivers, so that means Robertson, Anderson, and Liljegren should finally be able to get into some NHL games. We were not really able to do that with Andersen not on LTIR.

Maybe it was just there to give us maximum flexibility tomorrow and at the end of the day we are involved in a similar type of deal to get a 4th round pick back to maximize our cap space usage.

If we acquire a goalie tomorrow, it likely means Andersen is done for the regular season. If we do not, then he likely returns.

Reactions: Rocker13

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I wouldve preferred giving up a first for a guy like Palmieri tbh.

Palmieri has a limited 8-team NTC. Rumors were out there that the Leafs were on it, so he may not have been available to Dubas. In fact, who knows how many interested teams were on it? The Islanders may have had less competition for Palmieri than the Leafs had for Foligno.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Palmieri has a limited 8-team NTC. Rumors were out there that the Leafs were on it, so he may not have been available to Dubas. In fact, who knows how many interested teams were on it? The Islanders may have had less competition for Palmieri than the Leafs had for Foligno.
Thats fair.

Still not impressed with Foligno being the deadline acquisition.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

They would have without the double retention, but they also got Zajac with full retention in the deal... Who is about as impactful as Foligno.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Thats fair.

Still not impressed with Foligno being the deadline acquisition.

It is one thing if he was really the only good guy available to acquire. It is another thing to overpay for him like we just did. Our forward group did not need a game-breaker per say, but then we should have also not been paying game-breaker prices.

Who knows, maybe there is a side deal lined up in the offseason for Korpisalo or Merzlikins. This is the third deal we've done with Columbus in the past month so obviously there is some kind of relationship.

If we got Foligno + Merzlikins/Korpisalo for a 1st, 4th, and something reasonable... Then we are talking about a good trade for the Leafs.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Have a strong feeling they're not done

agreed. forwards seem a bit over crowded. especially when nash comes back for the playoffs on the 4th line. also, if we're gonna continue to to play thornton and simmonds, something needs to happen. most likely engvall or kerfoot should get moved for Dman or back-up goalie help.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
no they won't,,,,,,,,,,they will get f***ing steam rolled

1 is not even playing right now and they have a combined 14 games played in the last calendar year

these 21 year old KIDS
with next to 0 NHL games played are going to come into the POs and get the job done?????? LOLZZZZZZZZ

or they will be fine. Playoffs don’t start tomorrow. Keefe still has some time to get Lilly some mins. Hopefully Sandin can get back soon.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
agreed. forwards seem a bit over crowded. especially when nash comes back for the playoffs on the 4th line. also, if we're gonna continue to to play thornton and simmonds, something needs to happen. most likely engvall or kerfoot should get moved for Dman or back-up goalie help.

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds
Engvall

It is a bit crowded up front.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Foligno-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Thornton-Spezza-Simmonds
Engvall

It is a bit crowded up front.

I am afraid this is going to happen. Yes Engvall doesn’t have great stats but him and Mikey together create crazy speed and back off the D in the neutral zone. Pulling him from the lineup and inserting another slower guy is going to be noticed. I like Foligno but it should be at Thornton’s expense. Unfortunately because leaf brass begged him to come they can’t sit him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad