Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2021/22 - Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I'm honestly baffled by the suggestion for Kadri. He had his one career season at the age of 31 in a perfect situation, and will be 32 and back in the same situation that led to his trade in the first place. Not to mention whomever signs him is only getting his declining years.

Makes no sense on any level
I wouldn’t get into a crazy bidding war like I think he’s going to command but if you can get him in for $7m or less at 5 years or less he’s a heart and soul guy who might bring a little more of what we’re lacking.
I was critical of his outbursts in the past and have always thought the trade made sense at the time and the risk made sense, but strictly looking at it as a FA signing I think you can do worse. Not to mention he absolutely loved everything about being a leaf and might bring that into the room and have it rub off on the other guys.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Lol wut?

Just a 2oa pick? That pick might not even reach half of Nylanders potential and Willy is arguably our best realistic trade chip
Logan Cooley is going to be stud, plus you get $7m to use in FA. Bring back Kadri or go after nuke or even forsberg.
You think the 2oa isn’t enough? Idk how much more you could expect for a guy 2 years from ufa.
I have been adamant that I’m not interested in breaking Willy down into quarters and nickels but all of Nemec Cooley Slaf will be good to great players and can contribute within a season or two on an elc. Plus the fact you’ve diverted Willy’s aav into another impact player and I think you’re ahead of where we began.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm not sure if that could happen as his last 2 years were poor enough there is a clear risk factor attached and KD is not a big gambler. That's a .888 and a .892 tandem going into a year where they really need to to do something big. I won't say do or die for Kyle as it wouldn't surprise me if he was extended this summer but goalie was their biggest weakness in 2022 and its the easiest spot to do a clear upgrade. Same as a Gibson acquisition where people want to blame the last couple of years on the club in front of him. It can't be more than a 50-50 proposition that coming to the Leafs will bring back their A games.

Like you I believe its likely Blackwood has a much better year and even possible that he has a big year but this seems like a bullet they can only shoot once so is that where they do it? Unless maybe they find a way to unload Mrazek and add a safer battery mate like Fleury or Holtby of course.

I suspect that's exactly going to be their plan. Campbell and Mzarek out (via one way or the other) then the team rolls with a younger guy with promise plus a cheaper 1B to provide some stability to the tandem.

If it doesn't work they will just pay the price before the tdl for someone else.

A cheaper tandem gives them more cap flexibility to spend on depth forwards and the other options likely too pricey/comes with their own set of question marks

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I suspect that's exactly going to be their plan. Campbell and Mzarek out (via one way or the other) then the team rolls with a younger guy with promise plus a cheaper 1B to provide some stability to the tandem.

If it doesn't work they will just pay the price before the tdl for someone else.

A cheaper tandem gives them more cap flexibility to spend on depth forwards and the other options likely too pricey/comes with their own set of question marks

At trade deadline, probably the best you will find is probably something like Jake Allen...so yes they need to find their goalie right now... depht you can easily find it at trade deadline, goalie its pretty hard...

During regular season you can survive without goaltender, during playoff you will be in trouble for sure...

garyrobertsforPM

Mar 19, 2022
I’d look to trade Willy - either for TJ Miller, or the 2ndOA (Nemac) and woods/blackwood. Sign a replacement winger - forsburg probably too pricey. Nischuchen? Palat?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I wonder if we’ll end up with a tandem of Fleury/Holtby (UFA) + Blackwood/Samsonov/Vanecek/Georgiev (RFA trade)?

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Fleury or Holtby for a 1 year cheapish contract, and then look at the names you listed.

I would love Samsonov because I think he has the most upside to become a great long-term starter, but I don't know why the Caps would trade him any time soon. Blackwood, Vanecek and Georgiev are all pretty average goaltenders, but who knows how'd they do on a new (and much better) team.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Nichushkin is a stud. If we can get him somehow, our 2nd line is complete.
He's such a beast, it's not luck he's had a the talent for a while but is just now putting it all together.

Even better would be to find the next Nichushkin.
Georgiev not being qualified is pretty wild and indicative of the voodoo that is goalies, considering his asked price in a trade was like a 1st rounder not long ago.
I'm a believer in goalie voodoo, Georgiev is a backup option who could potentially create a solid tandem with whatever starter; upside is there but it's rare he shows it.

Comrie had strong underlying numbers as a backup last season, he's group 6 UFA so that's another young UFA option.

Put one of them behind Fleury & that could be a cheap & solid tandem, maybe Blackwood but then you're really rolling the dice on these guys catching fire.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The more i look at the options the more i think Holtby ends up here.

Cup winner, only 32, bounce back year, but overall struggles through Covid should keep costs down

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
What about Campbell’s rights for Wood’s rights?
I wonder about Kase (RFA) for Wood's rights.

Both often injured players. Kase coming off a relatively healthy season for his standards (but worse injury history), while Wood barely played at all (post-surgery risk). Kase is the more productive player when healthy, but Wood has attributes that GM's overpay for. The Devs have a boatload of LH shooters and not many RH ones.

Maybe expand on Blackwood for Campbell and add sweeteners from the Leafs end.

Reactions: LeafChief

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I wonder about Kase (RFA) for Wood's rights.

Both often injured players. Kase coming off a relatively healthy season for his standards (but worse injury history), while Wood barely played at all (post-surgery risk). Kase is the more productive player when healthy, but Wood has attributes that GM's overpay for. The Devs have a boatload of LH shooters and not many RH ones.

Maybe expand on Blackwood for Campbell and add sweeteners from the Leafs end.
I like the Wood for Kase idea a lot.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Doesn't Wood have a 3.5 mill QO? Pretty big reason why he is likely getting non-tendered.

Kase is likely going to be signed for a lot less.
Very true. I guess what I would like is Wood not getting qualified and signing with the Leafs for much less than his QO.

I guess they could complete the trade and sign him before the QO deadline?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
The more i look at the options the more i think Holtby ends up here.

Cup winner, only 32, bounce back year, but overall struggles through Covid should keep costs down

I'm good with at Holtby-Blackwood/Comrie combination.

I don't want to throw big money at Kuemper .. And I don't like the idea of the cost of Gibson, though if that was reasonable i'd think about it. Hellebyuck would cost a fortune too which is a tough pill to swallow.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I don't want to throw big money at Kuemper .. And I don't like the idea of the cost of Gibson, though if that was reasonable i'd think about it. Hellebyuck would cost a fortune too which is a tough pill to swallow.
Holtby and Driedger is my current prediction

A bought out Murray or a cheap Georgiev are also in my head

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan

I'm thinking 1 or 2 of Wedgewood/Hill/Reimer is on the team to start the season. Wedgewood should be a slam dunk. SJ has too many goalies. Hill and Reimer are UFA's at the end of the year. I can see them moving either of them in a 1 for 1 for Kerfoot.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm thinking 1 or 2 of Wedgewood/Hill/Reimer is on the team to start the season. Wedgewood should be a slam dunk. SJ has too many goalies. Hill and Reimer are UFA's at the end of the year. I can see them moving either of them in a 1 for 1 for Kerfoot.
Feels like Reimer would have already been here if he was an option

Reactions: stickty111

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Brooks said that the Devils might trade for Campbells rights if the Leafs can't sign him. Sounds like there's a lot of smoke there.

Seravalli also said on the DFO podcast that the Devils have Campbell as their top target if he makes it.
Devils have cap space, and I'd offer them Campbell's right, and Mrazek and Holl since they need a RD to replace Subban for Blackwood, and some filler prospect/picks.
if they are as high as rumoured on Campbell, they could be all over a deal like this, and have seen tons of Mrazek over the years with Det and Car, so they have seen first hand plenty of times that he's better than last year.

Reactions: Stigma

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
So what's Tampa's cap situation like. Who can they retain?

Palat? Paul? Who else are Free agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad