Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2021/22 - Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
I feel like Keefe can experiment with Knies or Robertson to see which one works better with the 2nd line. So I can understand not upgrading the 2LW spot.

But not upgrading the goaltending is concerning. Dubas is betting on Campbell regaining his form. No guarantees this will happen. Should Leafs falter in the playoffs and have another 1st round exit, then Dubas should be fired. Maybe even Shanahan. Almost eight years at the reins and no playoff success to show for it would be pathetic.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Since its become kind of a tradition for me in each trade thread...Imma continue it. Summary of today:

Dubas sucks we doomed, we didnt get any pieces for anything, HE WAS AVAILABLE FOR WHAT!?:

Why am I here again readin these posts:

Trying to read between the lines?

Carrying the hell on with whatever we got cap'n:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They boosted their 4th line with Blackwood .. Wasn't a need for anything after that. Maybe had they moved a LWer like Engvall.

Blackwood is a goalie with NJD.

We picked up Blackwell.

:thumbu:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I feel like Keefe can experiment with Knies or Robertson to see which one works better with the 2nd line. So I can understand not upgrading the 2LW spot.

But not upgrading the goaltending is concerning. Dubas is betting on Campbell regaining his form. No guarantees this will happen. Should Leafs falter in the playoffs and have another 1st round exit, then Dubas should be fired. Maybe even Shanahan. Almost eight years at the reins and no playoff success to show for it would be pathetic.

Not that a lot of easy goalie solutions were available, but maybe they're checking in with Campbell and feel reasonably assured his struggles were related to his rib injury. Aka the plummeting level of play started when he got hurt, caused these issues in terms of movement, which resulted in discomfort and decline in play?

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
So, three contract slots are open?
There was one, then Biega, then the goalie?

Room for Knies, Abruzzese and one more.

Maybe Meyers (though I don’t smell any smoke) and Tverberg.

All in all, pretty happy with the deadline. The Gio cost was just a smidge rich, but tolerable, and the Dermott trade a shade light, but the same. Didn’t blow an unnecessary wad, kept the best prospects and picks, and are thinking about adding from within, which I love.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

All in all, pretty happy with the deadline. The Gio cost was just a smidge rich, but tolerable, and the Dermott trade a shade light, but the same. Didn’t blow an unnecessary wad, kept the best prospects and picks, and are thinking about adding from within, which I love.

Yes, we are at 47 contracts now.

Reactions: aingefan

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Tverberg should get one more year in the NCAA.

I think it goes to Meyers or Livingstone if we are looking externally.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
How did the Leafs not offer better than a 4th for Motte?
Why didn’t anyone else? Seems like a bunch of teams could’ve used him
Since its become kind of a tradition for me in each trade thread...Imma continue it. Summary of today:

Dubas sucks we doomed, we didnt get any pieces for anything, HE WAS AVAILABLE FOR WHAT!?:

Why am I here again readin these posts:

Trying to read between the lines?

Carrying the hell on with whatever we got cap'n:

thank you for this much needed laugh

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016

Your first paragraph is exactly why I wished we moved Kerfoot at the deadline. With the crazy prices, we could've probably gotten a 1st Round Pick, if not then 2 2nds which could've replaced the ones we lost in the Giordano trade. Having Kerfoot on our 4th line making 3.5 million is absolutely horrible.

We know Kerfoot doesn't work on the 2nd line, you're not changing the 3rd line, which only leaves him on the 4th line.

Reactions: Leafs4Life77

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Kivihalme and Duszak were called up for the day, right?
Does that mean they have to pass through waivers to go back?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Your first paragraph is exactly why I wished we moved Kerfoot at the deadline. With the crazy prices, we could've probably gotten a 1st Round Pick, if not then 2 2nds which could've replaced the ones we lost in the Giordano trade. Having Kerfoot on our 4th line making 3.5 million is absolutely horrible.

We know Kerfoot doesn't work on the 2nd line, you're not changing the 3rd line, which only leaves him on the 4th line.
Teams don’t move guys like Kerfoot going into the playoffs unless an upgrade like JT miller was coming back, they can still get the kids on plenty between when their college seasons end and the playoffs start.
In the off season I think he along with guys like holl & mrazek go to shuffle around the middle class of this line up. At this point you want as many hands on deck as possible

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm a little surprised we weren't in on Domi given the cost to acquire.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Because he gives us options, depth, and is still an excellent PKer on one of the best PK's in the league. With him on the 4th line with Kase or Blackwell, that is suddenly a 4th line which can play more often, even if you need someone to double shift for Spezza once in a while (or maybe Abruzzese can step in there).

There is nothing stopping us from moving him in the offseason, and we are likely getting a similar return as we would get right now (i.e. a 1st round pick).

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Duszak is exempt. Rosters expand post deadline, so neither has to go down technically, so long as we can afford them.
Didn’t know that about JoeD.
Wondered if his recall had something to do with giving him an opportunity when no market materialized.
Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille