Trade and Free Agency Thread - 2021/22 - Post Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I’m personally looking at paul. Janmark. Namestikov. Jarnkrok as options from ufa pool.

Maybe stroke. Kubalik from RFA? Not sure who won’t be qualified….

Kubalik would be a great add if he were to somehow become available as UFA. Wouldn’t come as cheap as Bunting but could be similar type of add.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
It's probably not the best allocation of cap but a part of me would love to see Kadri back. Rather pay Naz than give up assets for a guy like JT Miller who will want a big payday anyways

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Brooks said that the Devils might trade for Campbells rights if the Leafs can't sign him. Sounds like there's a lot of smoke there.

We’re told by one informant that New Jersey may attempt to jump the process by dealing for the 30-year-old’s rights if the Maple Leafs cannot or will not extend the netminder, who started more than 26 games (47) in a season for the first time in his career.

Seravalli also said on the DFO podcast that the Devils have Campbell as their top target if he makes it.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Brooks said that the Devils might trade for Campbells rights if the Leafs can't sign him. Sounds like there's a lot of smoke there.

Seravalli also said on the DFO podcast that the Devils have Campbell as their top target if he makes it.

Fine by me.

There is a clear line with Campbell. Get something out of him if Jersey wants to cross it.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

If they wanna wow Campbell with a big contract, and Campbell is okay with playing there/happy with what they'll likely offer....would be good to trade him and try and get McKenzie Blackwood out of there. Especially with the rumours they're looking to move on from him. Campbell won't fetch much in a trade as it's just his negotiating rights before he hits the market, but something like Campbell's rights & Abruzzese for Blackwood could be a solid move. Blackwood could potentially regain his form (he's only 25) and become our starter for years to come. He's also cheap enough this coming season @ 2.8mil, that we don't have to panic with Mrazek and can hope he bounces back. A goalie tandem making 6.6million that has been a starter and a 1B through their careers isn't a terrible setup

Reactions: TMLAM34 and Stigma

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
If they wanna wow Campbell with a big contract, and Campbell is okay with playing there/happy with what they'll likely offer....would be good to trade him and try and get McKenzie Blackwood out of there. Especially with the rumours they're looking to move on from him. Campbell won't fetch much in a trade as it's just his negotiating rights before he hits the market, but something like Campbell's rights & Abruzzese for Blackwood could be a solid move. Blackwood could potentially regain his form (he's only 25) and become our starter for years to come. He's also cheap enough this coming season @ 2.8mil, that we don't have to panic with Mrazek and can hope he bounces back. A goalie tandem making 6.6million that has been a starter and a 1B through their careers isn't a terrible setup
I'm all for this idea if Blackwood can be obtained for such a low trade cost.

Reactions: Nylander88

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'm not sure if that could happen as his last 2 years were poor enough there is a clear risk factor attached and KD is not a big gambler. That's a .888 and a .892 tandem going into a year where they really need to to do something big. I won't say do or die for Kyle as it wouldn't surprise me if he was extended this summer but goalie was their biggest weakness in 2022 and its the easiest spot to do a clear upgrade. Same as a Gibson acquisition where people want to blame the last couple of years on the club in front of him. It can't be more than a 50-50 proposition that coming to the Leafs will bring back their A games.

Like you I believe its likely Blackwood has a much better year and even possible that he has a big year but this seems like a bullet they can only shoot once so is that where they do it? Unless maybe they find a way to unload Mrazek and add a safer battery mate like Fleury or Holtby of course.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Blackwood has RFA expiry status despite being 26 at the end of next season. He and Husso are probably the only 1B guys with upside available this summer (maybe Vanacek) and the RFA status gives you full control.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
It would be really weird, but swapping Campbell and his rights for Blackwood would be an interesting trade. Leafs get a cheaper goaltender, Devils get their guy and a solid starter.
I think it's a perfect setup. Blackwood could be an absolute steal if he gets his game back and is healthy. At only 25 he's still very young for a goalie. Big bodied guy, young, shown starter potential, and an Ontario boy to boot.
If Leafs know they can't obtain Campbell, and the Devils have soured on Blackwood...it seems like the perfect setup for both sides.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I'm not sure if that could happen as his last 2 years were poor enough there is a clear risk factor attached and KD is not a big gambler. That's a .888 and a .892 tandem going into a year where they really need to to do something big. I won't say do or die for Kyle as it wouldn't surprise me if he was extended this summer but goalie was their biggest weakness in 2022 and its the easiest spot to do a clear upgrade. Same as a Gibson acquisition where people want to blame the last couple of years on the club in front of him. It can't be more than a 50-50 proposition that coming to the Leafs will bring back their A games.

Like you I believe its likely Blackwood has a much better year and even possible that he has a big year but this seems like a bullet they can only shoot once so is that where they do it? Unless maybe they find a way to unload Mrazek and add a safer battery mate like Fleury or Holtby of course.
While I totally agree it's a gamble, I see it as getting a young potential starter that's only got one year remaining on his contract, for a guy that appears to be headed for the door anyways. And while those stats from last year you posted are factual and poor, if you look at the glass as half full...they're career .907 & .909 save percentage goalies, who have largely played on bad teams (Mrazek on Carolina the only exception... Detroit was garbage, Blackwood has been on a basement feeder Devils squad)

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I think it's a perfect setup. Blackwood could be an absolute steal if he gets his game back and is healthy. At only 25 he's still very young for a goalie. Big bodied guy, young, shown starter potential, and an Ontario boy to boot.
If Leafs know they can't obtain Campbell, and the Devils have soured on Blackwood...it seems like the perfect setup for both sides.

Blackwood > rights to Soup so you need to add IMO.

A tendem of Blackwood and Mrazek might be our best option and kicks the dump Mrazek can down the road one year.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
A Blackwood - Mrazek tandem worries me a little with both goalies coming off years where they were injured for far more then half the season.

Reactions: Buds17 and ToneDog

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
A Blackwood - Mrazek tandem worries me a little with both goalies coming off years where they were injured for far more then half the season.

Excellent point. Have to hope they are not both injured at the same time and one is healthy to start the playoffs :help:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It would be really weird, but swapping Campbell and his rights for Blackwood would be an interesting trade. Leafs get a cheaper goaltender, Devils get their guy and a solid starter.

Campbell's rights likely don't get Blackwood in return. We are talking about a mid-late round pick at best. Blackwood likely gets a 2nd and maybe a mid-round pick, and IDK if I am overly enthusiastic about paying a 2nd for Blackwood TBH.

He is the type of guy who should be in the Mrazek role right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaric1862

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
According to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks, “multiple industry sources” indicate that the Devils “will be in on impending Toronto free agent goaltender Jack Campbell if he hits the open market on July 13.” Additionally, Brooks adds that the Devils might even attempt to acquire Campbell’s signing rights in order to get a head start on the process. Along with Campbell, Brooks also reports that the Devils “could have interest” in Rangers goalie Alexandar Georgiev, if Georgiev is not issued his $2.65M qualifying offer.

Reactions: Duffman955

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Blackwood > rights to Soup so you need to add IMO.

A tendem of Blackwood and Mrazek might be our best option and kicks the dump Mrazek can down the road one year.
Agreed for sure. My original post was Campbell's rights & Abruzzese for Blackwood. Blackwood shouldn't command much from NJ, and they'll wanna offload him if they're pitching hard at Soup. I think attaching a B level prospect gets it done. Maybe a D-man like Duszak who reportedly wants more opportunity elsewhere. But it shouldn't be anything crazy that we have to attach

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Willy + soups rights for 2oa and Blackwood. Sign Nazem in FA 5 x $7m. Git ‘er done Kyle

Fine by me.

There is a clear line with Campbell. Get something out of him if Jersey wants to cross it.
Yup. Not interested in paying soup starter money at all.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm honestly baffled by the suggestion for Kadri. He had his one career season at the age of 31 in a perfect situation, and will be 32 and back in the same situation that led to his trade in the first place. Not to mention whomever signs him is only getting his declining years.

I realize this may be an oversimplification but it still makes no sense on any level.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
That’s definitely a concern, but if the alternative is expending huge assets for other question marks like Gibson who have team crushing cap hit and term and also paying assets to move off Mrazek it’s definitely a conversation to have.
What’s the likelihood of mrazek bouncing back to career norms with a new goalie coach/department and a fresh off season full of recovery and training.
If you feel it’s 60/40 he can be what he’s always been or even 50/50 (and frankly what he was his last stretch this season before getting hurt) then you might be better off saving those assets and running him back.
It would be the leafiest thing ever to send him somewhere with a decent prospect and or a 2nd and have him post 910-915sv and be an all star candidate for his new club.

Reactions: TMLAM34

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Willy + soups rights for 2oa and Blackwood. Sign Nazem in FA 5 x $7m. Git ‘er done Kyle

Yup. Not interested in paying soup starter money at all.
Lol wut?

Just a 2oa pick? That pick might not even reach half of Nylanders potential and Willy is arguably our best realistic trade chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad