Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
How can one ignore his previous 400+ odd games in the NHL when he played wing for 90% of the time, and focus on his last 20 games, when he was playing C because the top two C's were out of the lineup? The guy has played RW in the vast majority of his time in the NHL - I would assume because that's where he is best. Nylander averages twice as many FO's per game as Reinhart, and most consider him a stretch at C.

Reinhart has 7 years under his belt in the NHL. He is not a kid. He is what he is. A good top 6 RW.

No one in the debate is ignoring anything other than you ignoring that we have a glaring hole at center and Reinhart has potential to remedy that. We all know he has spent much of his career at wing. But if you're as starved for a top 6 center as we are, you explore all possibilities. What you don't do is argue it with career faceoffs when he is 25 years old. He has 6 years, not 7 years in the NHL by the way.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How can one ignore his previous 400+ odd games in the NHL when he played wing for 90% of the time, and focus on his last 20 games, when he was playing C because the top two C's were out of the lineup? The guy has played RW in the vast majority of his time in the NHL - I would assume because that's where he is best. Nylander averages twice as many FO's per game as Reinhart, and most consider him a stretch at C.

Reinhart has 7 years under his belt in the NHL. He is not a kid. He is what he is. A good top 6 RW.

And Boudreau assumed for a long time that Parise was a better OT player than Fiala.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
No one in the debate is ignoring anything other than you ignoring that we have a glaring hole at center and Reinhart has potential to remedy that. We all know he has spent much of his career at wing. But if you're as starved for a top 6 center as we are, you explore all possibilities. What you don't do is argue it with career faceoffs when he is 25 years old. He has 6 years, not 7 years in the NHL by the way.
Ignoring a players preferred position is what led to Guerin making a trade for MoJo. If you are willing to ignore virtually all of Reinhart's NHL career, and pretend that he will be a top 6C going forward, then you are a more optimistic guy than I am.

The other thing about Reinhart is that he will be somewhat expensive to get, and expensive to retain. I am guessing that he will want around 6.5-7M long term if he has a good year while playing C(say 50-55 pts.). That's a lot to pay for a #2C.

Reactions: Rask Decisions

P10p

May 15, 2012
Ignoring a players preferred position is what led to Guerin making a trade for MoJo. If you are willing to ignore virtually all of Reinhart's NHL career, and pretend that he will be a top 6C going forward, then you are a more optimistic guy than I am.

The other thing about Reinhart is that he will be somewhat expensive to get, and expensive to retain. I am guessing that he will want around 6.5-7M long term if he has a good year while playing C(say 50-55 pts.). That's a lot to pay for a #2C.

Reinhart has said his preferred position is Center, he played center his whole junior career as a center, and he was drafted as a center. But sure, lets trust in Buffalo management.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Reinhart's first three years in Buffalo their top 6 centers were Eichel and O'Reilly. It's not hard to see why he started his career on the wing. Thinking that he's locked into being a wing for good now because of that, is ridiculous.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Speaking so factually about something that is highly objective is being small minded. He has been more than a serviceable center this season, He is very young and still developing as a player. This would not be the first time a player started his career on wing and moved to center as he learned.

which is the exact same thing johansson did... thinking situations are different are turning a blind eye. Johansson much like reinhart was drafted as a center, moved to wing, then back to center. now johansson is back at wing, thinking the same couldnt happen to reinhart is pure ignorance.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Reinhart's first three years in Buffalo their top 6 centers were Eichel and O'Reilly. It's not hard to see why he started his career on the wing. Thinking that he's locked into being a wing for good now because of that, is ridiculous.

reinhart is older than eichel.... his first year eichel wasnt even on the roster.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I think we have a good shot at RNH if he tests market. I'd expect we could reach a reasonable deal too as I bet he just wants to win consistently at this point.

Suter and RNH I believe I read a few years back got along with eachother talking and hanging on the bus for Allstars game??? Idk. Tin foil hat on.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
assuming the whole Eichel thing is unrealistic, Reinhart would be my number one target for the summer. Right-shot guy who was over a ppg this season while playing center.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Kap 8ish
Fiala 7ish
Zucc 6 (for now)
Reinhart 6-7ish?
Boldy 2 years until bump
Rossi 3 years until bump

It’s a lot.

What's the trade for Reinhart? If it's Dumba, that helps the cap space. Then you lose either Soucy or Greenway or Foligno is the ED, and that helps just a little as well. You can buy out Zuccarello's last year if you need space for the young guys, and it saves you 4M, at the cost of 2M the year after.

There are ways, but it ends up being a very detailed plan going forward.

P10p

May 15, 2012
which is the exact same thing johansson did... thinking situations are different are turning a blind eye. Johansson much like reinhart was drafted as a center, moved to wing, then back to center. now johansson is back at wing, thinking the same couldnt happen to reinhart is pure ignorance.

No one is saying it can't happen. Obviously it can happen. There is risk everywhere in hockey. Projecting Johansson' situation onto other players can lead to you missing out. Its not a sure thing one way or another, yet you're acting as though it is.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Dylan Strome continues to be on the radar as well. Rough year with a concussion and some healthy scratches, but he's got another year at $3.1m and will still be an RFA. Seems like a decent target if you want to keep the acquisition cost low and think he can regain some confidence between a good pair of wingers.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Dylan Strome continues to be on the radar as well. Rough year with a concussion and some healthy scratches, but he's got another year at $3.1m and will still be an RFA. Seems like a decent target if you want to keep the acquisition cost low and think he can regain some confidence between a good pair of wingers.
I could get behind this choice as an alternative plan. I still think he has upside, whereas I have no such hopes for guys like Rask, Bjugstad, and Bonino. I would imagine he would be an inexpensive acquisition? With really good defensive C's like JEE and Sturm, we can afford to gamble on offensive upside when it comes to a C. Would CHI consider a straight trade for Rask, or is that crazy talk?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I do not recall seeing so many centers on the market in a summer. Eichel, Reinhart, RNH, Danault, Monahan, Nolan Patrick, both Stromes, maybe Barkov.

Time to clear the decks of cap space to be in a position to get one of those guys. Get Parise to Seattle despite the cost to do so. It is the right move.

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I do not recall seeing so many centers on the market in a summer. Eichel, Reinhart, RNH, Danault, Monahan, Nolan Patrick, both Stromes, maybe Barkov.

Time to clear the decks of cap space to be in a position to get one of those guys. Get Parise to Seattle despite the cost to do so. It is the right move.

Why would parise help wild

He has no reason to waive for rebuilding team, or leave his wife / kids

It's a 2 way street. It's not realistic. Parise, & his agent being pissed at wild is not going to lend any credence to him waiving, & accepting a trade

Reactions: kfan22

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

I just cannot see parise on this team next year after how things ended this season.

I’m late on the podcasts, but BG said he has no idea what will happen with Mennell. He sounded honest the way he said it.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why would parise help wild

He has no reason to waive for rebuilding team, or leave his wife / kids

It's a 2 way street. It's not realistic. Parise, & his agent being pissed at wild is not going to lend any credence to him waiving, & accepting a trade

So he’s going to be so mad at the team that he refuses to leave it? And live out the last 4 years of his pro hockey career as a healthy scratch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad