Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk XLIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
the awful take was assuming i mentioned him because he played in buffalo, not because hes a winger "thats looked okay at center"

Reinhart has looked better at center this year, not just okay.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Am I the only one who doesn't wanna lose Fiala?

I mean I get the whole paying for a top line center price tag but he's apart of the winning here is he not? He takes major scoring burdens off kap zucc etc.

I'd prefer to just stay pat then and let Sturm Rossi and others continue to try and fill those roles.

No one wants to lose Fiala. Some people are just willing to for that high end of a Center.

I'm on the fence given the injury personally. But given the wing prospects on the way, it's worth considering if it gets it done.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Rumors are Donato played his way out of SJ. Started in the top 6, but slowly through the season Parise'd his way down the lineup. Last game got 5 minutes TOI.

Traded or not qualified is likely according to their beat writer.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
How has Ian Cole played for you guys? Is he in your plans to re-sign and what do you think his next deal will look like? I was looking at some UFA vetsas a NYR fan because when Trouba went down it left a gaping hole that we can't have if we want to make any serious noise next year. Cole looks like the right type. Big, plays either side, has Cup winning resume, can play any bottom 4 role... Am I off base, or is happy in Minnesota and not exploring UFA?

P10p

May 15, 2012
yes, he is.

Speaking so factually about something that is highly objective is being small minded. He has been more than a serviceable center this season, He is very young and still developing as a player. This would not be the first time a player started his career on wing and moved to center as he learned.

Reactions: Slotski

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How has Ian Cole played for you guys? Is he in your plans to re-sign and what do you think his next deal will look like? I was looking at some UFA vetsas a NYR fan because when Trouba went down it left a gaping hole that we can't have if we want to make any serious noise next year. Cole looks like the right type. Big, plays either side, has Cup winning resume, can play any bottom 4 role... Am I off base, or is happy in Minnesota and not exploring UFA?
He's been a good fit and I don't think we could really ask any more of him in his role. Gritty, decent with the puck and hasn't been playing sheltered minutes or anything. He'd be nice to keep around and there's been at least some rumbling that Guerin wants him back, but I don't think we can afford him.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
He’s been good, solid and consistent, he’s clearly bottom pairing but plays his role well. He said he wanted to re-sign here and I believe there was some inkling that we would want to as well but the cap could be a major challenge depending on how the expansion draft goes. If he doesn’t take a salary cut, he will not be a fit for us and in that event you could do much worse for a depth pickup. Good on PK, decent enough puck mover, can hold his own in most matchups so you aren’t gripping your chair whenever he’s out against a second line.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
He's been a good fit and I don't think we could really ask any more of him in his role. Gritty, decent with the puck and hasn't been playing sheltered minutes or anything. He'd be nice to keep around and there's been at least some rumbling that Guerin wants him back, but I don't think we can afford him.
Wow. I was definitely thinking he'd be under 3M. Too low you think?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wow. I was definitely thinking he'd be under 3M. Too low you think?
$3m is probably plenty, but I don't think we'll be able to spend much more than $1m on him. We have a number of big RFAs to extend this summer.
I am thinking and hoping that Guerin will want to re-sign him for less than 2M for two years or so, but that this will probably take place after the ED. If neither Dumba nor Soucy are taken by Seattle or otherwise traded, I can't see Cole coming back, when Menell, Belpedio, and Addison are RHD are ready for a NHL job.

I am ok with Cole this year, but I can easily see him aging out of the league in a year or so. He is not fast now, and losing another step would make him a detriment out there.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Rumors are Donato played his way out of SJ. Started in the top 6, but slowly through the season Parise'd his way down the lineup. Last game got 5 minutes TOI.

Traded or not qualified is likely according to their beat writer.
He's a kid with skill that just can't put it together at the NHL level.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Johansson has averaged over 4 FO's per game in the NHL.

Hartman just a tad under 3.

Reinhart just a tad over two.

None of them are what I would call regular, NHL Centers.

Reactions: GuerinUp

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's a kid with skill that just can't put it together at the NHL level.
In baseball you would call him a Quadruple A player. Too skilled for the minors, too many weaknesses for the NHL. He has a great shot, and a couple of moves.

Reactions: TaLoN

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Considering his age I think some skepticism is warranted, but look at his game logs since he started playing center in early April. Face-offs don't look like a big worry to me.

Sometimes coaches do dumb things.

P10p

May 15, 2012

Two of those have played as our 1c this year and the other had a career year getting some solid minutes center for the first time this season.

Using career averages is a not a good idea especially when using a young player that is transitioning into the position.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Considering his age I think some skepticism is warranted, but look at his game logs since he started playing center in early April. Face-offs don't look like a big worry to me.

Sometimes coaches do dumb things.
How can one ignore his previous 400+ odd games in the NHL when he played wing for 90% of the time, and focus on his last 20 games, when he was playing C because the top two C's were out of the lineup? The guy has played RW in the vast majority of his time in the NHL - I would assume because that's where he is best. Nylander averages twice as many FO's per game as Reinhart, and most consider him a stretch at C.

Reinhart has 7 years under his belt in the NHL. He is not a kid. He is what he is. A good top 6 RW.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How can one ignore his previous 400+ odd games in the NHL when he played wing for 90% of the time, and focus on his last 20 games, when he was playing C because the top two C's were out of the lineup? The guy has played RW in the vast majority of his time in the NHL - I would assume because that's where he is best. Nylander averages twice as many FO's per game as Reinhart, and most consider him a stretch at C.

Reinhart has 7 years under his belt in the NHL. He is not a kid. He is what he is. A good top 6 RW.
I definitely wouldn't ignore them, but I'd also bear in mind that they were played on one of the most poorly run teams in the league. Bennett's from the same range in the same draft, has spent most of his career at wing in Calgary, and now looks great at center in Florida. Maybe either or both are flukes, but they might not be.

Last edited:
Reactions: JP Flow and P10p

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
I definitely wouldn't ignore them, but I'd also bear in mind that they were played on one of the most poorly run teams in the league. Bennett's from the same range in the same draft, has spent most of his career at win in Calgary, and now looks great at center in Florida. Maybe either or both are flukes, but they might not be.

Isn't their a chance Casey M become available? Buffalo isn't going to want to pay hin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad