Trade and Free Agency Discussion Thread - Don't Expect More Augmenting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Agreed. The Goat doesn't do anything offensively but he is strong defensively, good on face-offs, plays centre, and is a big body that takes up space.

Surprised nobody's thrown him an offer. He's not a bad depth option.

I'm surprised that he hasn't had an offer from someone at this point. I wouldn't mind him resigned either at minimum, even if he spends most of his time in the AHL. Big body, who can play C... Depth isn't a bad thing. Learn to play the PK more with the Marlies, work on those first few steps more... maybe even a tiny bit of offense.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if Hamonic sits out the season. Vatanen and Hoffman seem to have lost the game of musical chairs, curious if they'll do a 1 year deal and hope for a retirement contract next season.
It's possible that a training camp PTO will be all that some of the remaining UFA's will be offered. This was definitely the year to get something signed quickly.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Probably not a popular opinion around here but I think he's a useful player and I wouldn't mind keeping him around

On a high event team like ours having a guy that can kill 5-10 minutes where jack **** happens for either team has it's uses

I have no desire to see him as a regular on the team every night but would be fine with him still in the system.

At his worst hes still a replacement level NHler: there's always use for a body like that once in a while

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I have no desire to see him as a regular on the team every night but would be fine with him still in the system.

At his worst hes still a replacement level NHler: there's always use for a body like that once in a while

I have no problem with him and would be more than happy to have him on the team as a regular, the team isn't winning or losing because of what he's up to

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I have no problem with him and would be more than happy to have him on the team as a regular, the team isn't winning or losing because of what he's up to

Id rather have somebody have more bite to his game or the ability to do more with thr puck.

The problem with the goat is his best asset was his large wingspan. Yes he's not a risk, but he also doesn't really add much either. Hes always just sort of there in sort of a neutral sort of way

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Id rather have somebody have more bite to his game or the ability to do more with thr puck.

The problem with the goat is his best asset was his large wingspan. Yes he's not a risk, but he also doesn't really add much either. Hes always just sort of there in sort of a neutral sort of way

I'd rather have somebody I can use to center a line that's defensively responsible so when the Matthew, Tavares and Kerfoot/Thornton lines aren't on the ice bad stuff won't be happening

Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Gauthier isn't even that good defensively to make up for his lack of offense. His PK stats are brutal as well. As a 13th forward, he's okay but I still prefer someone better. There is a reason Keefe benched him after game 1.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What are the lightning planning on doing to clear cap?

They still have 3 RFAs unsigned and have not dealt anyone yet.

The season should he starting in 45-50 days.

The rfas prob bail Tampas ass and take 1/2 year bridges at a totalling to 10ish M, with Tampa feeding assets for 2 of TJ/Palat/Killorn/Gourde

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

The rfas prob bail Tampas ass and take 1/2 year bridges at a totalling to 10ish M, with Tampa feeding assets for 2 of TJ/Palat/Killorn/Gourde

I expect at least one to sign an offersheet once the regular season begins and Tampa loses their 10% overage cushion. Then they'll lose Killorn on waivers and likely pay someone to take Johnson.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth

Bettman will cancel the season to keep them safe :sarcasm:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I think they're holding out hope that someone will take Johnson in a trade. Bit i think they're going to have to pay a price to move him considering nobdy took him for free on waivers

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I think they're holding out hope that someone will take Johnson in a trade. Bit i think they're going to have to pay a price to move him considering mobdy took him for free on waivers

Even dumping TJ, unless there three RFAs decide to take point like discounts cap wise they're in trouble.

They won a cup so they have no regrets but the cap not increasing has/will impact them heavily

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Even dumping TJ, unless there three RFAs decide to take point like discounts cap wise they're in trouble.

They won a cup so they have no regrets but the cap not increasing has/will impact them heavily

They were definitely a team banking in that 3-4 mil cap raise that likely would have happened without the pandemic.

I still wonder if we will see an offersheet thrown out at some point. Even against the Islanders

Reactions: hamzarocks

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Who has cap space AND the proper draft picks AND the cash flow?

That doesn't even take into account that players would have to want to sign with a particular team.

Offer sheets have never made sense for 95% of RFAs.

Not really the off season for it. The Aho OS not being successful for Montreal probably doesn't help either.

I agree with both of you, but if Marner is hitting RFA this year or Leafs actually have money to OS like the Sens, I am 100% sure thats what all medias will be talking about. Just look at Pietra, literally the moment Dubas announced the TJ signing, the media pretty much stopped with the where is Pietra signing as they know both Leafs fans and haters dont really care where he ends up. The fact that only Vegas was in the running also didn't help either.

Reactions: Buds17

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I agree with both of you, but if Marner is hitting RFA this year or Leafs actually have money to OS like the Sens, I am 100% sure thats what all medias will be talking about. Just look at Pietra, literally the moment Dubas announced the TJ signing, the media pretty much stopped with the where is Pietra signing as they know both Leafs fans and haters dont really care where he ends up. The fact that only Vegas was in the running also didn't help either.

They talk about whatever they think will get the most clicks....

Reactions: ACC1224

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

That doesn't even take into account that players would have to want to sign with a particular team.

That said though, if one did occur, that team going over the cap would have no chance to match because nobody is taking bad money on right now.

So you either take a few players into the back alley and make them disappear into LTIR (losing cap accrual during the season (kidding of course you need an actual injury for that)). or you give up multiple draft picks and prospects to keep your player.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Depending what Tampa is offering the RFAs it wouldn’t shock me to see Cirelli or Cernak sign a 4.3 mill deal costing the offering team only a 2nd

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
if there is a Canadian division and not just regular season and playoffs too, does that mean only Canadian teams can trade with each other too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad