Tough life in the Metropolitan division

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
The Flyers have the most potent offensive lineup in the league. Of all the teams the Devils have faced this year, none scared me more than Philly. They definitely need work in other areas, but thats a legit playoff caliber team that could go deep if their goaltending gets hot.

Not sure about that, i'd take couple of other teams before their offense. Although Flyers top 3 are playing as well as any teams top 3 that's for sure.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The Flyers have the most potent offensive lineup in the league. Of all the teams the Devils have faced this year, none scared me more than Philly. They definitely need work in other areas, but thats a legit playoff caliber team that could go deep if their goaltending gets hot.

More potent than Tampa?

Reactions: Devonator

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Not sure about that, i'd take couple of other teams before their offense. Although Flyers top 3 are playing as well as any teams top 3 that's for sure.

That's flattering, but not even close. The Flyers at one point went two weeks (like, on the calendar) where no one not named Giroux, Couturier, or I believe Simmonds scored a goal. The top line is pretty frightening with Konecny up there, but even the 2nd line (Voracek/Patrick/Simmonds) doesn't produce that much at even strength. And the bottom 6 are borderline useless. Weal/Laughton/Raffl can establish some zone time but there's no legitimate threat on that line, and Weise/Filpulla/Lehtera's just old and kinda big.

The team does benefit from the fact that Gostisbehere-Provorov is an absolutely brilliant defensive pairing, and Hakstol typically doesn't run them alongside one of the top 2 forward units, meaning one of the crap lines often benefits from a pair of extremely smart passers/shooters on the blue line if they can get the puck into the offensive zone.

Last edited:

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
It is? You don't think some teams are better at 3v3 than others? Many say the SO is "random". Some, like you, suggest 3v3 is pretty random. Let's continue, with the parity in the NHL might as well infer 5v5 is pretty random.

I think when some people use the term "random" they mean close to a 50-50% chance of success (or failure).
If I decide to sample 10 items from 100, I can do it in a random or deterministic way (either way only 10% of the universe will be selected). In other words random does not imply a 50% outcome and a 50% outcome does not imply randomness.

Anyway, I don't think 3v3 is "random" nor a 50-50 "coin flip".

OTOH it might be correct to devalue OT/SO wins w.r.t. predicting the likelihood to make the playoffs and even playoff success. I'd like to see a statistical study of this. Might be easier to find such a study than to collect and work the data :popcorn:

I'm sure there are, but by random I meant the results in OT(or the SO) don't necessarily correlate to the quality of a team. This year, Arizona is 7-5 in OT, and Winnipeg is 2-7. Tampa is 4-1, and Boston is 1-6.

Sort of like a PP. You'd rather have a good one than not, but even if it's 20th overall, you can still be a top 10 team. Buffalo had the #1 PP last year by %, but finished 24th in GF, and 26th overall in the standings.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Thank you, but no we don't.

Top line...absolutely
2nd line...getting there
3rd line...Weise Flip Lehtera.....barf
4th line...Weal Laughton Raffl....better than our 3rd line but TOI doesn't show it.

If teams shut down the top line, most times we lose. But right now, Giroux-Couts-Konecny is the top line in hockey. When they get Provy and Ghost as their Dmen, it's most times dominant.

We do outscore most of our PK/defensive issues though in order to win.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

The Flyers have basically been carried by Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Gostisbehere, & Provorov having high end or even career years all at once for the majority of this season. It’s masked a lot of issues on a surface level with this team. A good chunk of what 5v5 or PP scoring has come from that group. Although Konecny has emerged lately but that was when put with Giroux & Couturier at 5v5. The Flyers as a whole 23rd league wide in GF/60 at 5v5.

The defense is horrendous outside the Provorov/Gostisbehere pairing. MacDonald, Manning, & Hagg basically give nothing. Manning’s probably the best of the three & he’s still not cutting it.

The dept issues upfront & the garbage defense that contributes to the lack of 5v5 scoring is a big concern heading into the playoffs for the Flyers. Their PK is god awful too. These issues all existed the last time they made the playoffs & it got embarrassing.

Reactions: Juicy Pop

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I'm sure there are, but by random I meant the results in OT(or the SO) don't necessarily correlate to the quality of a team. This year, Arizona is 7-5 in OT, and Winnipeg is 2-7. Tampa is 4-1, and Boston is 1-6.

Sort of like a PP. You'd rather have a good one than not, but even if it's 20th overall, you can still be a top 10 team. Buffalo had the #1 PP last year by %, but finished 24th in GF, and 26th overall in the standings.
Well about five years ago I did a study (IIRC over 3-4 seasons) of the correlations/rankings of teams overall records and OTLs.
On average (there will be exceptions) the weaker teams had more OTLs and thus confirmed my suspicions that the OTL point was added to help the weaker teams records look better, and appear to stay in the playoff picture longer. Maybe that's changed since I ran my study.

It seems you're suggesting that the correlation of a teams OT record and their reg time record (quality of a team) is near 0 (correlations can be significantly positive or negative or not). I'd like to see those results for the entire league - not a handful of examples - and preferably for more than a few seasons.

Btw, I have no problem with OTW getting 2 pts and OTL getting 1 point if reg winners got 3 pts ! The current game pt system is gimmicky.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Time to put down the bottle.

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Carolina/CBJ/NYI/Florida is gonna fight for that last spot. Florida has the most games left and the easiest schedule. But have the most ground to makeup. Carolina for now is in the best spot with the WC spot and with the 2nd easiest schedule outta the 4. CBJ and NYI's schedules are BRUTALLY tough. Carolina and Florida will more then likely be the two teams at the end fighting for that last spot unless CBJ or NYI gets it going

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Carolina/CBJ/NYI/Florida is gonna fight for that last spot. Florida has the most games left and the easiest schedule. But have the most ground to makeup. Carolina for now is in the best spot with the WC spot and with the 2nd easiest schedule outta the 4. CBJ and NYI's schedules are BRUTALLY tough. Carolina and Florida will more then likely be the two teams at the end fighting for that last spot unless CBJ or NYI gets it going
You might be right, but I don't like it :D

I wanted the infamous "Atlantic 5" finish in the East cellar and have 5 Metro teams battle for the two WC spots.
However the Rangers decided to throw in the towel, or is it the rag, and Florida looks to move past them.

Btw I'd still prefer a Bs-Leafs than a Bolts-Leafs 1st round in the Atlantic. Only drama left in that division, and by late November you knew who the top three were going to be.

Crazydounut

Oct 10, 2017
Charlotte, NC
You might be right, but I don't like it :D

I wanted the infamous "Atlantic 5" finish in the East cellar and have 5 Metro teams battle for the two WC spots.
However the Rangers decided to throw in the towel, or is it the rag, and Florida looks to move past them.

Btw I'd still prefer a Bs-Leafs than a Bolts-Leafs 1st round in the Atlantic. Only drama left in that division, and by late November you knew who the top three were going to be.
Atlantic is a bloodbath. Tampa is losing first round either to Toronto or WC 2. Tampa is starting to trend downwards and their PDO is coming back down to Earth

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
there are 8 decent teams in the metro. not good. there are no TOP teams in the metro. zero.

I do t know why people have a hard time understanding, the teams in the metro have played against the bottom 5 teams in the Atlantic just as much as the top 3 in the Atlantic.
Pittsburgh is the 2x defending champion and the #1 team in the NHL in 2018, yet according to you they're not a top team. Great analysis.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Central is even tougher now with teams just out of it making a real push while Columbus and NYI are not making any ground last 10. God i hope StL misses.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00