Tough guy

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I'm not interested in goons, I'd prefer the habs to continue building a tougher overall team but that's going to take time. An option for this coming season could be Deryk Engelland as a #7 dman. He's a RD and is pretty tough; can hold his own against most.

highstick14*

I disagree. I dislike staged fights, but we need a player on our team to hold other guys accountable for their cheap shots. If Lucic were to (intentionally) injure one of our players, who do we have to send a message that that **** doesn't fly? I don't want a Parros who doesn't play and doesn't fight much either, but I want someone who can keep everyone honest. It's a necessary evil in this game.

This is such a primitive mindset. Everyone knows the NHL is aggressively deterring gooney, and fighting altogether. Cheap shot artists will be held accountable by the league with stiffer fines and suspensions. Also, it's up to every player to stand up for himself, like the old days, when superstars could also fight if needed. Let's see Matt Cooke try to run after a guy like Evander Kane again.

And hold who accountable? Most cheap shot artists are not intimidated by an enforcer, for two reasons, either the cheap artist can fight the enforcer and hold his own (Lucic would've easily destroyed Parros), or he simply rejects to fight the enforcer, either way, enforcers always fail to do their jobs.

The Habs have tried numerous "tough guys", and so far, I have yet to see any of these experiments work. With or without Parros, we still got pushed around. We need to get bigger up front, it's as simple as that.

Like others have said, we need to build a tough team, not have a bunch of undersized players with one goon.

Parros was a garbage player and a terrible fighter, what a waste of cap space and a roster spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Parros was a garbage player and a terrible fighter, what a waste of cap space and a roster spot.

AFTER he was thrown to the ice by Orr and suffered his concussion which will be career ending.

He was not a terrible fighter prior.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
AFTER he was thrown to the ice by Orr and suffered his concussion which will be career ending.

He was not a terrible fighter prior.

Exactly. It was so unfortunate to happen at all, never mind so early in the season. George is my favorite goon. A Princeton grad!

There's a poetic lesson here, perhaps, but I'd have liked to have him for a few seasons more.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Enough with this tough guy crap. Even Boston is abandoning their enforcer. Let's get 2-3 grinders (like Prust) who can play and also fight from time to time, but only when it's absolutely necessary. Please don't say Ryan White, 'cause he's bad. Staged fighting is beyond extinct now. All the best teams don't have an enforcer. LA, Chicago, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, even Boston just got rid of Thornton.
We have Prust and Tinordi in the Pipeline.
Later we may have McCaron.

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
I disagree. I dislike staged fights, but we need a player on our team to hold other guys accountable for their cheap shots. If Lucic were to (intentionally) injure one of our players, who do we have to send a message that that **** doesn't fly? I don't want a Parros who doesn't play and doesn't fight much either, but I want someone who can keep everyone honest.

Can you give some examples of people 'sending messages' to Lucic and holding him accountable for cheap shots?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Can you give some examples of people 'sending messages' to Lucic and holding him accountable for cheap shots?

You've never seen a guy stand up for a team are? How about this, metal face gets a little sticky with a b's young player ( at the time) abd the captain responds and goes. Roussel runs the goalie and gain set dies what's right. F leishmaniasis rubs gorges in the numbers and gets tuned by white.

If you want more lucic/miller incidents or worse Thornton / or pics god help the league.

We are going to need a guy who can fight, to protect our lilliputian top 9. Prust ain't enough and Tinordi might get there one day but we have way to much riding on him to let him fight heavies. He will have enough on his plate next year adjusting to the nhl, we don't need to put the added task of sheriff for by far the smallest team in the league.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We have Prust and Tinordi in the Pipeline.
Later we may have McCaron.

I don't think we can count on Prust, he's still willing but his body can't take it anymore - I'd even look at moving him while he still has some value

Tinordi is great but needs to be smarter with the instigator penalties, Crisp didn't look out of place in his short time in Hamilton, he might be ready for 4th line duty in a year so only need a stop gap til then - less little people would help and starts with saying adios to Gionta

Corncob

Feb 10, 2011
You've never seen a guy stand up for a team are? How about this, metal face gets a little sticky with a b's young player ( at the time) abd the captain responds and goes. Roussel runs the goalie and gain set dies what's right. F leishmaniasis rubs gorges in the numbers and gets tuned by white.

Nope, none of those are examples of someone sending a message to Lucic in retaliation for a cheap shot. Try again?

If you want more lucic/miller incidents or worse Thornton / or pics god help the league.

Not really entirely sure what this sentence means tbh.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Nope, none of those are examples of someone sending a message to Lucic in retaliation for a cheap shot. Try again?

So we make rules for single players now? When lucic ran miller they did what you suggest,turned the other cheek and we're lambasted for it internally and externally. They made up for it the next time they played.

And if bgl dud his freaking job, you would have had your example.

But it's nice that lucic can spear guys in the jewels and our only response is to cry to the refs

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

We aren't going to find a hockey player who can send a message to Lucic so we are back in the hired goon scenario - aka John Scott - who can't play a regular shift and Milan would turtle from anyways

Kings & Hawks seem to do well without the goons, just need less Hobbits

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Just call up Tarnasky when there's a game that looks like it's going to be rough. Then send him back down. We are a good team with a few guys that will fight and a bunch more that won't be pushed around. The days of the Bruins or Leafs destroying us in a line brawl are gone.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Just call up Tarnasky when there's a game that looks like it's going to be rough. Then send him back down. We are a good team with a few guys that will fight and a bunch more that won't be pushed around. The days of the Bruins or Leafs destroying us in a line brawl are gone.

He's gone, UFA.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Sorry who are the few guys who will fight and which one of our never ending supply of minuscule forward's won't get pushed around?

Would it be great if the days of line brawls are done? Sure, but if it happens, even if the chance is remote, putting all of our faith in the protection afforded by the refs whistle is a road we have been down and it ends in an ugly part if town.

If we can beef up the top 6 we might not need a guy who throws. But we are not that team this year or anytime soon. So we do need a pugilist lest we get run every game.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Prust is one of the best pound for pound fighter in the league but the guy can't keep fighting guys that are 4-5 inches taller than he is...

I hate goons but I'm all or guys that can play and fight. Thornton years back is a perfect example of what id be looking for

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
We don't need one. Enforcers are done, we need more team toughness, one goofball palying 5 minutes per game giving up goals at ridiculous rates during those minutes is not something he should even consider.

George Parros and his ilk only serve one purpose and that's to give opponents a better opportunity to score. Getting a tough guy to make us look pseudo tough doesn't address the issue.

/end thread

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
We don't need one. Enforcers are done, we need more team toughness, one goofball palying 5 minutes per game giving up goals at ridiculous rates during those minutes is not something he should even consider.

George Parros and his ilk only serve one purpose and that's to give opponents a better opportunity to score. Getting a tough guy to make us look pseudo tough doesn't address the issue.

/end thread
Bla bla bla bla.

I've been on HF since 2002 and since 2002 we've been hearing the exact same things from the exact same people. Until they're not gone, THEY'RE NOT GONE. How some can dispute that when we're in by far the division with the most heavyweights is beyond me...

/end thread.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

/end thread

Yeah guys like parros are such a drag that our previous pugilist celebrated his signing and after going after our midget captain and ko ing rene bourque, colton orr got handsy with our norris winning defenseman, once.

the /end thread/ thing makes you look like an ass. The players want fights so they must also be wrong in the light of you knowledge.

FFS its a discussion board, you dont like people voicing opinions that dont align with yours, get a better perspective rather than coming acroos as some self appointed authority.

Oct 22, 2012
I'm fairly confident that we are moving away from fighters who can skate to skaters who can fight. Gazdic has my vote.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I'm fairly confident that we are moving away from fighters who can skate to skaters who can fight. Gazdic has my vote.

I like gadzic, a lot. If we go that way, great. The problem is how many gadzics do you think there are league wide?

Thats like saying you like guys who can fight score and crash the net as a power forward, but the league has what, a half dozen or so classical power forwards?

As long as we ice the smallest team in the league, we are going to need some beef. If its not parros, it has to be someone other than prust and tinordi. If its no one, expect a lot more rene bourque-like KO's.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

how about a different islander? :naughty: :naughty:

33 years and he has 1 NHL game...

You could look at the 6'5" guy who spent 12 minutes on the ice for 53 games.
Was he a healthy scratch with the NYI?
Because 635 minutes over 82 games is less than 8 minutes per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad