Tough guy

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Enough with this tough guy crap. Even Boston is abandoning their enforcer. Let's get 2-3 grinders (like Prust) who can play and also fight from time to time, but only when it's absolutely necessary. Please don't say Ryan White, 'cause he's bad. Staged fighting is beyond extinct now. All the best teams don't have an enforcer. LA, Chicago, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, even Boston just got rid of Thornton.

Were in the offseason. Don't declare enforcers extinct until we see what signings take place before the season starts.

Unilaterally surrendering does not work as history with the Habs have shown.

Not that it's going to happen because the Bruins aren't giving up toughness, but wouldn't it be great for them to have no answer for our tough guy fighting one of their skill guys.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Enough with this tough guy crap. Even Boston is abandoning their enforcer. ....

I can tell you one thing: Boston is letting Thornton go cause he's now he's a liability (with his lack of pure hockey talent) and also probably because he got his clock cleaned in Buffalo this year. Since that fight with John Scott he just isnt the same. The same thing happened when Lucic manhandled Komisarek. He just lost what made him useful to the Bruins.

And you can be sure Boston has another enforcer in the wings ready to take his place and he will want to fight a lot more that Thornton who could mostly give big bear hugs.

Boston isnt suddenly leaving their rough n'tumble style of play cause the Habs beat them. They just will make sure to get tougher and scare the league from skating too fast around them.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I can tell you one thing: Boston is letting Thornton go cause he's now he's a liability (with his lack of pure hockey talent) and also probably because he got his clock cleaned in Buffalo this year. Since that fight with John Scott he just isnt the same. The same thing happened when Lucic manhandled Komisarek. He just lost what made him useful to the Bruins.

And you can be sure Boston has another enforcer in the wings ready to take his place and he will want to fight a lot more that Thornton who could mostly give big bear hugs.

Boston isnt suddenly leaving their rough n'tumble style of play cause the Habs beat them. They just will make sure to get tougher and scare the league from skating too fast around them.

Thornton was useless quite a while before he got his clock cleaned. Although it surely didn't make him any better :laugh:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If we're adding a tough guy (and it makes sense if Murray and Parros are gone), then I seriously hope he's a young mean s.o.b. and not another old goon who's years past his 'best before' date.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
Thornton was useless quite a while before he got his clock cleaned. Although it surely didn't make him any better :laugh:

True dat. But i was being polite by saying his talents went down after that fight. Getting clobbered and having some some brain damage does give one a nice excuse to bow out... :sarcasm:

After that fight and concussion his trainer slowly showed him three fingers and loudly asked Thornton "What day is it?" and he answered "Pink with blue stripes..." - his career bottomed out at that precise instant.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
No need for a useless plug enforcer.

We have Prust who is one of the best pound for pound fighters. Assuming Tinordi plays, he's another great fighter.

Playing against goons like Orr, Jansen, Gallant essentially means we're playing 12 forwards vs 11, or 4 lines vs 3. Let those teams waste roster spots with goons.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Only problem is he thinks he's a scorer... but hey, if he agrees to just play his ultra aggressive hockey, Therrien just has to tell him to go out there and hurt people. This guy is nuts :laugh:

And Gallant is damn impressive, tough as hell to trading that many shots with those monsters without flinching. Wouldn't mind him at all, he wouldn't cost too much, he's most certainly at least respected right now.
Artyutkin us AS BAD as a fake tough guy as I gave ever seen.
Pass and have Ryan white tune him up on the way out for good measure.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Only problem is he thinks he's a scorer... but hey, if he agrees to just play his ultra aggressive hockey, Therrien just has to tell him to go out there and hurt people. This guy is nuts :laugh:

And Gallant is damn impressive, tough as hell to trading that many shots with those monsters without flinching. Wouldn't mind him at all, he wouldn't cost too much, he's most certainly at least respected right now.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Enough with this tough guy crap. Even Boston is abandoning their enforcer. Let's get 2-3 grinders (like Prust) who can play and also fight from time to time, but only when it's absolutely necessary. Please don't say Ryan White, 'cause he's bad. Staged fighting is beyond extinct now. All the best teams don't have an enforcer. LA, Chicago, Anaheim, Pittsburgh, even Boston just got rid of Thornton.

I disagree. I dislike staged fights, but we need a player on our team to hold other guys accountable for their cheap shots. If Lucic were to (intentionally) injure one of our players, who do we have to send a message that that **** doesn't fly? I don't want a Parros who doesn't play and doesn't fight much either, but I want someone who can keep everyone honest. It's a necessary evil in this game.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Well, Arty ain't a 'tough guy' to begin with, he's not a goon, he just likes to hit people hard, something he's good at since he's huge and skates like the wind. He can fight too, although not very well, but it's not something he should do anyway. As long as he hit people and instill fear into opposing players (cause yeah, he hit -that- hard), he could be useful on a 4th line, just to provide a real spark. (although Weise is doing that for us now, finally)

And anyway, pretty sure he won't leave the KHL, so...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Well, Arty ain't a 'tough guy' to begin with, he's not a goon, he just likes to hit people hard, something he's good at since he's huge and skates like the wind. He can fight too, although not very well, but it's not something he should do anyway. As long as he hit people and instill fear into opposing players (cause yeah, he hit -that- hard), he could be useful on a 4th line, just to provide a real spark. (although Weise is doing that for us now, finally)

And anyway, pretty sure he won't leave the KHL, so...

Hes not a goon? so a guy who suckers a guy from behind and keeps throwing like he did in the khl, that makes him a choir boy?

plus if there was ever a guy who willingly hid behind a sheild in the nhl more than artyukin i dont know who it is.

not only pass for fake tough,pass for fake courage. Hes a pos who deserves to be tuned.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
As said by many, matter of time till fighting is banned. Last season/playoffs.. For anyone that was watching, the refs did absolutely anything to intervene between fights and pre emptivly throwing out potential goonery from the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00