OT: Totally Legal Music Sharing Thread sponsored by Napster

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018

I think these guys represented the early '90's local scene about as well as anyone, even if they did have to go to Seattle to get signed by Subpop lol. Intro by Iggy Pop and featuring the incomperable Thornetta Davis.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Wheat was a late 90s band that nearly made it kind of big...
They got a bigger record deal and polished their sounds a little too much and lost their way. Before that, though, they made some nice, slowish, wistful indie rock.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Wheat was a late 90s band that nearly made it kind of big...
They got a bigger record deal and polished their sounds a little too much and lost their way. Before that, though, they made some nice, slowish, wistful indie rock.

Thanks! I had never heard those guys before, but I really enjoyed it. More stuff to look for is always better!

Reactions: MBH

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018

I like Entombed's black metal, but I think their later Death n' Roll stuff is vastly underrated. Filthy production all redlined and live sounding.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not a big fan of Queen, but they have a handful of good songs....

upload_2021-2-10_21-36-17.png

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

I'm not a Zappa fan per se, but I did kinda like Joe's Garage I-III & Apostrophe/Overnight Sensation LP's. My favorite tracks: Camarillo Brillo, Joe's Garage. HM: Watermelon in Easterhay, Dinah-Moe-Hum. My 28yr. old nephew (guitar wiz) loves Zappa. I've heard ~15 of his more popular albums back in the late '80's & it's still just as weird now as it was then, certainly an acquired taste. Have you seen the new Zappa movie/documentary?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

Nirvana at the Blind Pig in A2 in 1990. I was lucky enough to be there, as well as the Pearl Jam show in November of '91. Shit tons of great bands came through A2 back then, and I saw most of the shows. Primus with 24-7 Spyz at Rick's! Crazy times lol.

Epic! This was right before their big mainstream breakthrough I believe. Congrats on the unique experience. In another 20 yrs, it'll be like someone who saw Jimi Hendrix live in his (limited window) ~3-4 yrs of fame, '67-'70, though he started playing gigs with other musicians/bands in lateish '65-'66.

Check these out, I'd be interested to hear your feedback, thanks.

Nirvana - 1985 Fecal Matter Demo - Illiteracy Will Prevail - Complete and Remastered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHuaaTujMvs&list=WL&index=218

Nirvana Covering Other Bands playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkKu3rDl0yw&list=PL1zo1zTtvO-LXsIk0gXlBSQFZTrj1oXAE

Last edited:
Reactions: Stony Curtis

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Epic! This was right before their big mainstream breakthrough I believe. Congrats on the unique experience. In another 20 yrs, it'll be like someone who saw Jimi Hendrix live in his (limited window) ~3-4 yrs of fame, '67-'70, though he started playing gigs with other musicians/bands in lateish '65-'66.

Nirvana - 1985 Fecal Matter Demo - Illiteracy Will Prevail - Complete and Remastered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHuaaTujMvs&list=WL&index=218

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkKu3rDl0yw&list=PL1zo1zTtvO-LXsIk0gXlBSQFZTrj1oXAE

New Order's Eligia was one of my favorites in the 80s.
Imagine buying Substance to bounce around to Bizarre Love Triangle and Blue Monday... then playing disc two and getting this

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018

I've been a Bill Burr fan for quite a while. For my money, he and Doug Stanhope make me laugh harder than anyone else working today. I enjoyed the reaction vids, even though I didn't think I would. I played that clip for my friend Robby, who is Black. He thought it was hysterical, and gave BB props for honesty.

I've heard the Fecal Matter demo, but not the remastered version. You can tell KC has talent, and the fact that Dale Crover of the Melvins is on drums makes it even cooler for me. Kinda reminds me of early Mudhoney.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
New Order's Eligia was one of my favorites in the 80s.
Imagine buying Substance to bounce around to Bizarre Love Triangle and Blue Monday... then playing disc two and getting this

It took me a long time to get into New Order and other bands like them. At the time, I was dating a German girl who listened to Joy Division and a lot of other post-punk/new wave, and I told her it was shite. She just laughed and told me I was closed-minded. "It's all just sounds, Stony. Why do you think the sounds in your ears are better than the sounds in other people's ears?"

She was right, and opening up my mind to all types of music was really freeing.

Reactions: MBH

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've been a Bill Burr fan for quite a while. For my money, he and Doug Stanhope make me laugh harder than anyone else working today. I enjoyed the reaction vids, even though I didn't think I would. I played that clip for my friend Robby, who is Black. He thought it was hysterical, and gave BB props for honesty.

I've heard the Fecal Matter demo, but not the remastered version. You can tell KC has talent, and the fact that Dale Crover of the Melvins is on drums makes it even cooler for me. Kinda reminds me of early Mudhoney.
I'm not sure what Bill Burr/Doug Stanhope have to do with the 3 Nirvana videos...Am I missing something? (I saw Doug's standup vid ~15yrs ago, it was pretty funny overall. Also, I don't know who Bill Burr is, I had to look it up just now).

Sounds like you're a hardcore Nirvana fan, most fans of the group have never even heard of the demo's existence.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I'm not sure what Bill Burr/Doug Stanhope have to do with the 3 Nirvana videos...Am I missing something? (I saw Doug's standup vid ~15yrs ago, it was pretty funny overall. Also, I don't know who Bill Burr is, I had to look it up just now).

Sounds like you're a hardcore Nirvana fan, most fans of the group have never even heard of the demo's existence.

Not sure what happened either, but when I clicked on the links it brought me to some Bill Burr reaction vids. Lol, no wonder you were like, "WTF?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad