OT: Totally Legal Music Sharing Thread sponsored by Napster

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Not sure what happened either, but when I clicked on the links it brought me to some Bill Burr reaction vids. Lol, no wonder you were like, "WTF?"
That is bizarre. When I was posting the Nirvana vids, it kept putting some Hendrix concerts (that were recently cleaned up for better sound quality) that were in my Saved-Watch Later on YT...I think this is how socks get lost after a load of laundry, not the pair, just 1 sock...out there in cyberspace, probably an inter-dimensional hole behind the washer/dryer.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
One of my favorites by a somewhat known Canadian, Rob Szabo...
Its not some kind of act
They really feel like that
They didn't sit around a boardroom table trying to come up with the right angle
Some of them are really feeling bad
Sure could use some medicine
Meanwhile city council went and blew their cash on an enormous flag when they could really use a bandage

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

upload_2021-2-12_21-51-8.png

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Malkmus played on the Silver Jews releases. David Berman excellent poet & wordsmith.

I thought youtube was trying to kill me during the pandemic. They wouldn't stop recommending Berman's last song.

Great song by a guy I've listened to for years.
But f*** if I want to watch that during a depressing era of social distancing, knowing the dude killed himself not long after recording it.

It does sound a lot like "I'll stop the world and melt with you" once it gets going.
Berman has that New Order-ish ability to make depression sound poppy. I can usually appreciate it... but I really didn't want to see this video until COVID was gone. Lyrics just too heavy knowing how everything turned.

Reactions: NervousPerson

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

That's pretty damn cool.

A Picker, A Grinner, A Smoker & A Midnight Toker.

Banjo, Acoustic, Stand Up Bass & what looks like a mini Les Paul/electric Ukelele?

I love seeing cover versions of any good song regardless of genre & date of release, done well at any point afterwards. The Rolling Stones, who made a killing of doing so (their 1st 5 Studio LP's & 1EP were ~50-60% covers of mostly lesser known songs). To their credit they made sure that many of the original artists got some form of compensation later on (the record companies didn't do that initially back then) whether it be included in tour(s) as a special guest stars, promo club gigs etc. Many of the artist made more than they would've anyway, because the Stones version was usually superior to the original, certainly far more popular.

On that note, I always felt this song was The Stones message to the world regarding the aforementioned. (the title not the lyrics)

Who are your top R&R bands/artists? (or any genre)

**I often change the speed to custom on YT, go to settings wheel etc., it doesn't change the pitch whatsover & can go upto 100% faster/slower than original**

prime example of great cover version (R&R HOF'er Lloyd Price's 'Just Because')

John Lennon (The Ronettes 'Be My Baby'...Wrecking Crew drummer Hal Blaine on drums absolutely kills it on the original, there's an instrumental vs. on YT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3savmTuTg

Reactions: NervousPerson

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Fun Fact: This song was The Beatles favorite song to write/record, according to them. It's different, hilarious, with a touch of madness & genius. Gets even more interesting @ 2:15 mark...Hope you enjoy it.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018

I don't know if this has ever been verified, but Jimi was supposedly asked in an interview, "What's it like being the best guitar player in the world?" Jimi is said to have answered, "I don't know. Why don't you ask Rory Gallagher?" I always wanted to believe he did say that. Not only because Rory was a world-class musician, but because it also showed Jimi's humility, which certainly existed.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't know if this has ever been verified, but Jimi was supposedly asked in an interview, "What's it like being the best guitar player in the world?" Jimi is said to have answered, "I don't know. Why don't you ask Rory Gallagher?" I always wanted to believe he did say that. Not only because Rory was a world-class musician, but because it also showed Jimi's humility, which certainly existed.
Dunno, but I've read the same. Rory Gallagher, Jeff Beck etc. are a few artists I need to sample. I've heard a couple of Beck's that did nothing for me, but his work with The Stones (mostly sessions/unreleased) '75/76 had some decent stuff. I'm also open to suggestions. My preferred genre is classic rock/prog rock etc. 60's-early 80's: Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Yes, The Doors, Hendrix, Rush, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley etc., but do like Muse, Nirvana, Cake, G 'N R etc from 90's or beyond.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->