Speculation: Total goals scored by Capitals next season. Are we in trouble?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm sure if someone condensed all of Brouwer's goals into a single montage, it would put a positive spin on him as well. I don't find a lot of value in highlight reels.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
He might not shoot as hard as Brouwer, but his release is a lot quicker, more accurate and he doesn't fan on one timers. It's a lot better than what Blues fans say.

What I like the most about Oshie is his ability to create plays by cycling the puck, making give and go passing plays and cutting to the middle with his quick hands. Obviously Brouwer does none of the above.

Blues fans are in for a big surprise with Brouwer :yo:
He had a lot of goals off rebounds too, I can't wait to see him burying Ovi's change in the slot

Edit: I was trying to find a highlight vid or goals vid of the past season for brouwer to see how he looked based on that alone but there's nothing on youtube that I came across

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure if someone condensed all of Brouwer's goals into a single montage, it would put a positive spin on him as well. I don't find a lot of value in highlight reels.

A Brouwer highlight reel would just show that he has a decent shot when he connects on it and it would also show how brilliant Backstrom is as a playmaker. In other words, Brouwer can't generate many scoring opportunities on his own, unlike Oshie.

He had a lot of goals off rebounds too, I can't wait to see him burying Ovi's change in the slot

Edit: I was trying to find a highlight vid or goals vid of the past season for brouwer to see how he looked based on that alone but there's nothing on youtube that I came across

Ovi used to collect assists by having Mike Knuble or someone else putting in the garbage rebound goals.
A prime Tomas Holmstrom would be perfect on our PP setup to screen the goalie for Ovi's one timer.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Even the briefest clip can sometimes paint the full picture

miss.gif

ryan519*

Barring any trades, is it pretty much a given that Bura will stay on the 2nd line and see PP minutes?

ryan519*

It's Bura vs MJ for the last top 6 spot. Knowing Trotz, he'll probably give it to MJ because he's older and had good numbers last year.

Seriously? I find that hard to believe. I thought we were done with MJ in the top 6

The only way Bura continues to improve and have a positive impact on this team is if he has a role in the top 6. The kid's on the verge of breaking out, could even be this season

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Seriously? I find that hard to believe. I thought we were done with MJ in the top 6

The only way Bura continues to improve and have a positive impact on this team is if he has a role in the top 6. The kid's on the verge of breaking out, could even be this season

Then he's gotta beat out someone in the top 6, most likely Mojo. This is a veteran roster with Cup aspirations, not some cellar dweller who gifts youngsters ice time. I'd love to see Bura steal the spot in camp.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

That's not how Trotz thinks. He thinks that the youngsters should earn their ice time. The vets get the ice time by default if they aren't surpassed by the kids.

If Bura doesn't blow MJ out of the water in training camp and during the pre season, he'll likely start on the 3rd line. Not that I agree with Trotz's policy, but that's how he works.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
What is this supposed to show? It's one play?

The full playlist is included there (over to the right). You can watch all of his goals that are archived on NHL.com, if you desire.

Even the briefest clip can sometimes paint the full picture

miss.gif
My point is when you're only looking at the highlights, any player will look good. That's obviously not a play that would reach the highlight reel.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Why? What can Burakovsky do from beneath the goal line that Johansson can't?

Not really sure why anyone has an issue with MoJo on PP1. He executes his role.

I will take a stab at it.

Maybe he will be more of a threat to score walking out from the corner in front as a player more willing to shoot, better at getting passes through to 8, more willing to screen, or finishing off a rebound of Ovi's.

Maybe his zone entries when injured will be stronger. ;)

My lord was it tough to watch him in round 2 gaining the zone and falling over time and time again. Trotz should have demoted him. Yes he got Verbeek'd and its not his fault Barry never wavered.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Why? What can Burakovsky do from beneath the goal line that Johansson can't?

Not really sure why anyone has an issue with MoJo on PP1. He executes his role.

Maybe he will be more of a threat to score walking out from the corner in front as a player more willing to shoot, better at getting passes through to 8, more willing to screen, or finishing off a rebound of Ovi's.

My lord was it tough to watch him in round 2 gaining the zone and falling over time and time again. Trotz should have demoted him. Yes he got Verbeek'd and its not his fault Barry never wavered.

Our PP is fine and dandy during the regular season, but the one trick pony never translates in the playoffs. Who has more skill, Mojo or Burakovsky? It isn't risky to give him the chance on the PP1 when the probability of being scored is lower. And you helped prove my point to an extent, what is it that Bura can do that Mojo can't? He can do the simple task that was awarded to Mojo on PP1, so worse case scenario he does on par with Mojo, or better. Burakovsky is more creative then Mojo as well, which our PP needs going forward.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
The problem I think the Caps PP unit has translating to the playoffs is the lack of moving parts. Guys aren't going to bust their ***** 100% pressuring on the PK during the grind of the regular season so there's more time and room for our guys to operate and feed passes while moving minimally into passing lanes. In the playoffs that's taken away as guys give it their all every shift and our predictable PP becomes neutralized or significantly less effective. There needs to be more movement in order to create defensive breakdowns, passing lanes and backdoor plays, and just generally giving the defense a harder time knowing where the puck will be moving.

So basically I think it's a systems issue not a personnel issue, and Mojo is more than adequate at his role within the current system.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

Walking out of the corner? To where? I don't see that as a generally viable play in the system. The defensive coverage is already in place near the posts/low slot. "Walking out" is only really something that can happen on a broken play from the penalty killers.
Getting passes to 8 isn't really an option either, aside of sending it around the rim. That would involve getting a puck past two or three penalty killers (depending on how tightly they shadow Ovie) and the goaltender. Not even Lemieux could do that on a regular basis.
In terms of screening, getting up tight scoring opportunities, and burying rebounds, Johansson does just fine with that. His powerplay shot heat map shows he has no issue getting tight to the goal (Burakovsky has too little data to make much of).
If you want more expansive play out of Johansson, that would be a systems change to the powerplay. Nobody in that low position has the freedom to do a whole lot creatively down there, simply because most of their options are covered.

This is the crux of the issue, in my opinion. What (very) limited data regarding zone entries we have paints Johansson in a very positive light. Anecdotes aren't worth a whole lot here, given both that a successful zone entry is rarely memorable and confirmation bias. I think 90 does a fine job at zone entries, at least within the constructs of the zone entry system that Trotz/Oates/Forsythe have installed. Others disagree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad