Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I don't see much of a dilemma. Campbell is our ride or die this season. Hopefully we can pick up Driedger or Ullmark in free agency and run a decent tandem.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Think I might be one of the very few not concerned about the Leafs' goaltending situation, anyone else?

This is very much what I'm thinking but just because Andersen choked in the past doesn't mean he'll be a career playoff choker, lots of goalies have gone through similar things. He's capable of playing well for them but as of now he hasn't given fans a reason to trust/believe in him so it's a good thing they have Campbell if Andersen can't be hot, but maybe he can, it's kind of a similar situation to the Fleury-Murray, Holtby-Grubauer cup runs. I mean hell they even have Rittich who they know is capable of stealing the show the odd time, I guess he did yesterday but in the wrong way; he's still adjusting to playing for the Leafs & not against them :sarcasm:

Me too

Since March 1st the Avs are averaging exactly 1 goal scored per game more than the Leafs. 2.96 vs 3.96. Kind of helps. That Rantanen-McKinnon combo is just as good as M&M on the ice and make 7 million less on the Cap.

That 2015 draft 1st round is looking like it might beat that 2003 one. McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, Konecny

A redraft would be sick. Love how Boston had 3 picks and went 0 for 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The Leafs need a entirely new Goaltending department as others have discovered and first done by Florida recently. Nothing but the best for Leaf fans, gitter done Dubas. Fire this current guy. Just hire Grant Fuhr to head it up and fire this clown doing the messy job presently. Hutchinson was a mess under him last year,goes away comes back fixed, Campbell comes in and goes on a Heater this guy gets in to his head boom f****d.
The common denominator is always better away from him no.....

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Bring on stanley cup winner Fuhr for goaltending department lead. A good Leaf alumni guy for sure.Fuhr and Campbell are very similar personalities too. I bet they would rock it out together. Who better to teach mental toughness in the big games too. Fuhr rarely ever gave up a back breaker goal and he never had a elite Gaa. He was unbreakable in the big moments. I think the most clutch goalie of his time

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The Leafs need a entirely new Goaltending department as others have discovered and first done by Florida recently. Nothing but the best for Leaf fans, gitter done Dubas. Fire this current guy. Just hire Grant Fuhr to head it up and fire this clown doing the messy job presently. Hutchinson was a mess under him last year,goes away comes back fixed, Campbell comes in and goes on a Heater this guy gets in to his head boom f****d.
The common denominator is always better away from him no.....
Can we fire the power play coach as well?
:)

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I'm definitely willing to live and die on the Freddie sword. One last hoorah, why not? He's definitely been shaky at times in the POs, but he's also had some pretty horrid defense in front of him. Of the three options, and I'm sure Dubas et al feel the same, I'd be most confident throwing a healthy Freddie in there for the post-season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
As.of this moment Campbell likely has the edge since he has the most recent string of very good play.

But that could change pretty easily in the leadup to the playoffs. In an ideal world, Andersen comes back with a vengeance wanting to salvage his career heading into free agency.

I don't care if they rotate the starter every other game at this point. Just ride whoever looks the slighter bit hotter

Reactions: saltming

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
Freddy would probably be our starter now if we didn't have him play through a nagging groin injury... just an absolutely stupid decision

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Freddy would probably be our starter now if we didn't have him play through a nagging groin injury... just an absolutely stupid decision

We don't have to cap space to take him off before the end of the season anyways.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
If only it wasn't the case that we could look up career stats for Campbell and Grubauer which renders the above "analysis" laughably useless.
Laughably useless? I don't know about that, sure they're different but there are definitely some similarities.

Since March 1st the Avs are averaging exactly 1 goal scored per game more than the Leafs. 2.96 vs 3.96. Kind of helps. That Rantanen-McKinnon combo is just as good as M&M on the ice and make 7 million less on the Cap.

That 2015 draft 1st round is looking like it might beat that 2003 one. McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Provorov, Werenski, Meier, Rantanen, Barzal, Connor, Chabot, Boeser, Konecny

A redraft would be sick. Love how Boston had 3 picks and went 0 for 3.
Yea Colorado has been a powerhouse, funny enough over 1/2 of that difference (0.55/1.00 g/gp) is from the powerplay.

Yea you might actually be right about the 2015 draft becoming better than the 2003 one, as good as it was. It (2015) definitely is looking better in terms of its top-end players but it also has a high quantity of quality NHL players as well. Never even realized this until you mentioned it, and yea f*** Boston, good for them.

My top 10 picks for a 2015 re-draft would be:
1. McDavid
2. Eichel
3. Marner
4. Rantanen
5. Aho
6. Barzal
7. Chabot
8. Connor
9. Provorov
10. Werenski

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Laughably useless? I don't know about that, sure they're different but there are definitely some similarities.

Over the last 3 years, Grubauer has played over 100 games, over 30 each season and his SV% for those 3 years has been .917, .916 and this season, .920. The two years previous, his SV% was even better. His worst season his SV% was .915 and his career SV% is .920.

Over the last 3 years, Campbell has played in 20 + 6 + 14 games for a total of 40, his SV% for those 3 years has been .900, .915 and this season, .919.

Over the last two playoffs, Grubauer has played 12 + 7 games, his SV% for those two playoffs was .925 and .922!!

Jack Campbell has never played in an NHL playoff game.

There are some similarities, sure. But there are also differences, the differences are massive and they're not in Campbell's favour. If we could swap in Grubauer for Campbell today, I'd put us right up there with Vegas, Colorado and TB as the top tier cup favourites. With our goaltending situation as it is however, we're massive long shots to win the cup. Not saying it can't happen, just being realistic and understanding that Campbell leading us to the promised land would be a big surprise to put it mildly.

Grubauer is pretty close to being money in the bank. Campbell is a huge question mark. That's just reality.

Re. the draft, I'd take Marner over Eichel myself. :)

Reactions: saltming

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I received a scolding from hfboards, well deserved, I might add. Now I don't have a like button showing up.

Has that happened to anyone here before/ I love giving out likes, some great posters on the Leaf board.

It's happened to many of us, welcome to the club. My only advice is that if you find any posters particularly annoying, put them on ignore. My ignore list is very short but because I do have those few people on it, I'm sure I've saved myself many, many penalties. Good luck!

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Over the last 3 years, Grubauer has played over 100 games, over 30 each season and his SV% for those 3 years has been .917, .916 and this season, .920. The two years previous, his SV% was even better. His worst season his SV% was .915 and his career SV% is .920.

Over the last 3 years, Campbell has played in 20 + 6 + 14 games for a total of 40, his SV% for those 3 years has been .900, .915 and this season, .919.

Over the last two playoffs, Grubauer has played 12 + 7 games, his SV% for those two playoffs was .925 and .922!!

Jack Campbell has never played in an NHL playoff game.

There are some similarities, sure. But there are also differences, the differences are massive and they're not in Campbell's favour. If we could swap in Grubauer for Campbell today, I'd put us right up there with Vegas, Colorado and TB as the top tier cup favourites. With our goaltending situation as it is however, we're massive long shots to win the cup. Not saying it can't happen, just being realistic and understanding that Campbell leading us to the promised land would be a big surprise to put it mildly.

Grubauer is pretty close to being money in the bank. Campbell is a huge question mark. That's just reality.

Re. the draft, I'd take Marner over Eichel myself. :)
That is fair & mostly true, just 1 correction is that those 20 & 6 games seasons are actually 1 single season (20 for LA & 6 for TOR in 2019-2020), not 2 separate seasons.

*So corrected, that's:
Over the last 3 years, Campbell has played in 31 + 26 + 14 games for a total of 71 games, his SV% for those 3 years has been .928, .904, and this season, .919.

That one season of .928 over 31 games is a good looking comparable, statistically the best between either one of them; but it's also the least recent one, he's been injured quite a bit, & he has zero NHL playoff experience (and barely any playoff experience in the AHL).

Over the past 3 seasons as a sum:
- Campbell: 71 GP, .917 SV%
- Grubauer: 107 GP, .917 SV%

He's no sure thing, a big question mark, but goalies are so hot & cold season to season that I do have confidence in him like a would other hot goalies in the past who were unproven during their time (e.x. Matt Murray, Jordan Binnington, Elvis Merzilkins, Joonas Korpisalo). Also feels good knowing it's not all Campbell or nothing, having both Fred & Rittich as well; some teams are almost 100% screwed if either their starter were to go down or if they just happened to suck (kind of like Fred in the past).

I almost picked Marner over Eichel but gave Eichel the benefit of the doubt partially because he's a center but mostly because he's been playing in Buffalo.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Lol. There is no dilemma. Andersen is the starter and will start in the playoffs. He is one of the better starters in the league. Campbell is a 29 year old bust.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
I received a scolding from hfboards, well deserved, I might add. Now I don't have a like button showing up.

Has that happened to anyone here before/ I love giving out likes, some great posters on the Leaf board.
It happens all the time. They take the likes function away. It’s part of being a Leafs fan here tbh.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I was an Andersen supporter since hes been here, but I'm leaning Campbell here, I think he'll turn it around. These guys saying Campbell is a bust after his great start are just delusional

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad