Toronto's Goaltending Dilemma (Who starts in the playoffs?)

Who starts in the playoffs?

• Total voters

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
League avg tending might get us out of the north. Who knows if we will get that. If Campbell isnt on another hot streak and Freddy is 100%, you go with Freddy

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Campbell will rebound. Is he that 11 win 8 games .950 goalie? No. Is he the last 3 starts sub .900 goalie? Also no.

He is a capable, slightly above average goalie, who can make a good save and keep us in it unlike Andersen.

He's our best option, we just ride with him and he will bounce back.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Freddy has got to get 3-4 games before start of playoffs to figure out where he is and get in to a rythm or else you gotta start Campbell or Rittich. Goalie change in playoffs can be used to try and change momentum, but I wouldnt switch it from game to game.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
It’s a disaster to even think about. The goaltending is a f***ing disgrace. Period. Zero denying it. It will end our season early.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Campbell, no question. Freddy is a notorious slow-starter. Would you really want to have him get re-acclimated to game speed after several months on the shelf? I love Fred, and really love his game, but starting him game 1 of the playoffs would not be putting him a position to succeed unless he returns from LTIR soon and gets a few regular season games in. Give the crease to Jack and be confident that this former blue chip prospect can play up to his potential and give us the stability we need between the pipes.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I don’t think as a whole Andersen was good this year, but even while injured his 5v5 Sv% was still good (one of the best in the league). Assuming the injury was hindering his lateral movement which is why his PK Sv% was trash, I’m hopeful a healthy Andersen can at least be a 9.15 goalie.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Leafs need to give their prospects a chance and see who can emerge. Just look at Nedejkovic in Carolina. We have Woll, Scott, Vehvilainen to try. Give time to Campbell and Anderson to heal what injuries they might have. We already know what Hutch and Rittich are. We need to find out what our prospects can do. If they are good, then we get lucky, if not, then that gives rest to Campbell. The Leafs refusal to rotate players in a condensed season has been very confusing.

both those options suck at the AHL level - the problem is the lack of a real goalie pipeline

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
both those options suck at the AHL level - the problem is the lack of a real goalie pipeline

I don't think the lack of AHL success means bad goalie in the NHL. Goalies are so unpredictable. Nedejkovis was on waivers earlier this year, but now he might be Carolina's best goalie. I don't see what's there to lose by playing them.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
FYI: We lost to Montreal also during this 5 game losing streak.;)

Our Leafs have just lost 4 straight games to Vancouver now after winning the first 3 and if this was a 7 game playoff series we'd be out.

So would it be a good thing if Nucks pass the Habs and that is Leafs 1st round opponent?

Be careful what you wish for !!!

The way we are playing seems realistic we end up 2nd or 3rd in the division and avoid the #4 altogether

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Healthy Andersen.

Sorry, but you live or die with your starter.

Holtby didn't start the playoff run for Wash but he finished
Matt Murray didn't start the playoff run but he finished

Leaf fans were always stressed to get Freddy enough rest for a playoff run
HE IS RESTED NOW!!!

Reactions: The Podium

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Holtby didn't start the playoff run for Wash but he finished
Matt Murray didn't start the playoff run but he finished

Leaf fans were always stressed to get Freddy enough rest for a playoff run
HE IS RESTED NOW!!!

Wouldn't mind giving him some games still, but yes this would definitely be the first playoffs with him well rested.

He was completely overworked in the months leading up to our past playoff series.

Reactions: The Podium

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This reminds me of something I read during the dot com boom talking about an exam question for business students:

Ask them how to evaluate a start-up tech company and if they give you an answer, fail them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yeah. You get him in as soon as he's ready. You've got to wonder if the recent struggles increase the urgency of bringing him back and how the dynamic of the cap would have to deviate from plan in order to activate him. The cap situation is a whole other ballgame if you ask me, especially with Hyman and Bogosian and the potential of LTIR for those two.

This management team is so selective with the info they let out but you've got to figure they could work something out if they need him back sooner than game 1.

In the short term, they just have to run with whatever hand is luke warm.

Lol, people couldn't wait get Andy out of the crease and now people want him back? Not talking you specifically, posters in general.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
It's not only that we spent 40M on 4 forwards. It's also that right after we signed the Marner and Matthews contracts, the cap went flat. The idea was that as time went by, the 40M on 4 forwards would look cheaper and cheaper, but with the flat cap, this will no longer be the case and we will have problems building a well rounded team, unless our entry level contract players can step up and fill the void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad