Value of: Toronto's 2019 1st round pick for playoff rental

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Huh?

What are you talking about? How on earth could the Leafs know who Tampa was going to pick?

Uh, to illustrate the quality of asset they could have picked with that selection rather then give it away for a few weeks of Brian Boyle?

Or.... they just hang on to the pick and have an extra pick?
You first mentioned the player Tampa selected with that 2nd round, that's why I asked why you even brought it up.

Yes I know Boyle was a rental and the Leafs ended up losing in the 1st round, however at least they made the playoffs which was the whole point of a trade like that.

In the end Toronto is not the only team who has traded a 2nd round pick for a rental and won't be the last.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
...Because Toronto traded that pick to Tampa Bay?

Is this really hard to follow?
Unless a player selected after the 1st round becomes someone like a Henrik Zetterberg and they were selected because another team traded them that specific draft pick, brining up their AHL rookie stats won't make me say crap why did the Leafs trade the Lightning that pick. There is no guarantee Toronto would have selected Alexander Volkov had they kept that 2nd round pick, so your attempt to make them look bad for trading that pick did not work.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Uh........I'm a Leaf fan and I scoff at your valuations. LOL. They're ridiculous.

Ask yourself: Would YOU give up Panarin for Bracco, Leivo and the 28th-31st OA pick???????

Jesus, Leaf fans. C'mon.
Well, considering the prices for EK and Hoffman, that package doesn't seem too far off. Not that the Jackets couldn't and wouldn't do better. Rentals just don't seem to fetch what they once did.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Unless a player selected after the 1st round becomes someone like a Henrik Zetterberg and they were selected because another team traded them that specific draft pick, brining up their AHL rookie stats won't make me say crap why did the Leafs trade the Lightning that pick. There is no guarantee Toronto would have selected Alexander Volkov had they kept that 2nd round pick, so your attempt to make them look bad for trading that pick did not work.

Dude, are you okay?

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm not trying to make "them look bad for trading that pick." I'm only saying that "making the playoffs" only to get knocked out in the first round is hard worth throwing away a second round pick for.

If you disagree, then you are certainly free to do so, but all this nonsense about Henrik Zetterberg (I haven't a clue why you are bringing him into this) or nonsense about their being no guarantee the Leafs would have taken him (gee, really?) and this fictional stuff about this topic somehow being about "making the Leafs look bad" just makes you look silly.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
No.

Keep the first and seconds they will be the backbone of this teams success. Always having guys that can come in cheap on ELC with all the other huge caps

I'm pretty sure Matthews, Tavares, and Marner are going to be the backbone of the Leafs success. Could be wrong though.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Cool new approach, trading for a "rental" before the season even begins. Also good to know that we already know which teams will be sellers or buyers in the spring. All around an excellent quality thread.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dude, are you okay?

What on earth are you talking about?

I'm not trying to make "them look bad for trading that pick." I'm only saying that "making the playoffs" only to get knocked out in the first round is hard worth throwing away a second round pick for.

If you disagree, then you are certainly free to do so, but all this nonsense about Henrik Zetterberg (I haven't a clue why you are bringing him into this) or nonsense about their being no guarantee the Leafs would have taken him (gee, really?) and this fictional stuff about this topic somehow being about "making the Leafs look bad" just makes you look silly.
Look for some reason you brought up who Tampa selected with the 2nd round pick they got from Toronto for Brian Boyle, when that wasn't even brought up.

I also doubt it was the Leafs plan to trade away a 2nd round pick for a rental and to lose in the playoffs.

I only brought up Zetterberg because I thought you were trying to make out Alexander Volkov as being this can't miss prospect who Toronto missed out on because they didn't own the pick which Tampa selected him. So when you brought his AHL rookie stats it added nothing to the topic.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I'm pretty sure Matthews, Tavares, and Marner are going to be the backbone of the Leafs success. Could be wrong though.

Yeah and same with the depth players we acquire with our first which will give us 2-3 years of elc and 4-5 years of RFA after that as apose to an upcoming UFA who gives us half a season and playoffs barring injury and chemistry

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Ewwww no. Rather keep our pick unless we can get a 2/3 RHD. Petry is neither.
I think it's very reasonable to consider Petry a good #3. He's definitely not a #4 and he has proven he can step up if needed (Webers absence). A late 1st won't land you a top pairing defensemen... I honestly doubt you can find many "better" RD available then Petry for a 1st with maybe a small add.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think it's very reasonable to consider Petry a good #3. He's definitely not a #4 and he has proven he can step up if needed (Webers absence). A late 1st won't land you a top pairing defensemen... I honestly doubt you can find many "better" RD available then Petry for a 1st with maybe a small add.
If Petry was available for a 1st with a small add he would be a Leaf player right now lol

Reactions: sansabri

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Looking for a rental player on the last year of their contract. Willing to give up our 1st round pick as the main piece. Likely trading partners are non-playoff teams.

Prefered - #4 RHD
Would also take a 2nd line ~20 goal scorer.
The pick is not worth much as Leafs Cup favorite. But should bring a veteran #4

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Teams that begin regularly trading firsts and seconds at the deadline are essentially pulling the plug on their compete window. Those low firsts/seconds end up replacing all of the supporting cast who end up demanding far more than they're worth and destroying a teams cap.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Looking for a rental player on the last year of their contract. Willing to give up our 1st round pick as the main piece. Likely trading partners are non-playoff teams.

Prefered - #4 RHD
Would also take a 2nd line ~20 goal scorer.

Connor Brown is a 20 goal scorer.

Now I'm not trying to badmouth Connor Brown, but I'd prefer to not trade a 1st for another one.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
That's right. You'd do well to listen and LEARN from me, Son. Sounds like you need some good learnin'.
Don’t call me son. And no thanks on the lessons. I could acquire your kind of learnin’ by drinking toilet cleaner and sitting out in the sun all day without a
hat

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Don’t call me son. And no thanks on the lessons. I could acquire your kind of learnin’ by drinking toilet cleaner and sitting out in the sun all day without a
hat

Meh. You don't need to be smart to post on the internet. Have a blast, Son.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad