Value of: Toronto's 2019 1st round pick for playoff rental

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Uh........I'm a Leaf fan and I scoff at your valuations. LOL. They're ridiculous.

Ask yourself: Would YOU give up Panarin for Bracco, Leivo and the 28th-31st OA pick???????

Jesus, Leaf fans. C'mon.
Both these are at the deadline. I am basing it off of what rentals have gone for in the past.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
No.

Keep the first and seconds they will be the backbone of this teams success. Always having guys that can come in cheap on ELC with all the other huge caps

Reactions: justafan22

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
I like petry and agree he would bea good fit but after watching him in preseason be the worst player on their team im going to wait fora trade for him until the deadline or right before because boy was i disapointed. I understand the recent bias of watching a small sample size with poor performance compared to the postiive larger sample size of his past work. Im just shocked at how bad he played so IMO we'll see how his seasn goes i wouldnt trade for him atm.

Like most posters i think its down to johnsson and ennis. I like ennis alot and am surprised johnson hasnt had his extra step

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't feel I am. In the past what I offered fits the bill, 1st+roster player+good prospect.

The 1st is way closer to a 2nd, Bracco is not a roster player(he's a mediocre prospect), and Leivo is a nothing/career AHLer.

You're offering garbage for an 80-point player in Panarin.

Stop it.

Reactions: Mac Attack

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I think the Boyle trade worked out better because who knows if Toronto makes the playoffs in 2017 if that trade never happens. I know that offensively Boyle didn't do a lot but considering Tampa Bay finished 1 point behind Toronto for the 2nd Wild Card spot maybe things are different if they never trade for him.

But who cares? They made the playoffs then were promptly dumped out of them a week later.

Meanwhile the pick they traded for Boyle scored 23 goals in the AHL last year as a rookie pro.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
The 1st is way closer to a 2nd, Bracco is not a roster player(he's a mediocre prospect), and Leivo is a nothing/career AHLer.

You're offering garbage for an 80-point player in Panarin.

Stop it.
I guess I am way higher on Levio and Bracco than you are. I see Levio as a 40 point 3rd liner and Bracco looks like he can develop into a solid 2nd line scoring winger who will be able to QB a PP. Getting 2 players that should play on the roster(at some point)+ a 1st seems like a good deal to me.
Or do you prefer the typical HF hyperbole where one offers Nylander+1st+Sandin for a rental?
I would be ok with our 1st+any of Kap/Johansson/Levio/Brown then any prospect not named Sandin/Lilj for a star rental.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I guess I am way higher on Levio and Bracco than you are. I see Levio as a 40 point 3rd liner and Bracco looks like he can develop into a solid 2nd line scoring winger who will be able to QB a PP. Getting 2 players that should play on the roster(at some point)+ a 1st seems like a good deal to me.
Or do you prefer the typical HF hyperbole where one offers Nylander+1st+Sandin for a rental?
I would be ok with our 1st+any of Kap/Johansson/Levio/Brown then any prospect not named Sandin/Lilj for a star rental.

No, Bracco is entirely mediocre and a VERY long shot to ever make it to the NHL, and Leivo is 25 year old AHL garbage that many out-to-lunch Leaf fans toss into their trade proposals, to daydream about getting gold for tin.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But who cares? They made the playoffs then were promptly dumped out of them a week later.

Meanwhile the pick they traded for Boyle scored 23 goals in the AHL last year as a rookie pro.
So the Leafs were supposed to know months in advance who the Lightning would be selecting with that 2nd round pick? Also why even bring up that he scored 23 goals as a rookie in the AHL? In that 2nd round of the 2017 draft the Leafs also had a 2nd round pick from the Senators because of the Dion Phaneuf trade, so I guess that's why they were able to part with their other one to the Lightning.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Starting next year, when they're in cap trouble, you need cheap ELC players to help out long term. I'm not against trading the 1st rounder for a dman that helps, but it has to be someone who they can sign long term/already has term. Think Tanev etc.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Oilers were picked as 2nd best odds to win cup last year, howd that work.

Anything can hppen

Sure but this thread is clearly talking about a playoff rental. These deals are not done until the next calendar year where there will clearly be a good idea where they stand. Your comment didn't add anything to the discussion except to try and take a poke at the Leafs by implying they could miss the playoffs.

And I don't want to get into it. Leaf fans spent all LAST offseason dealing with these comments about how they fluked into the playoffs and were too healthy and would miss and yada yada. They are a top 5 team they will not miss the playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
And I don't want to get into it. Leaf fans spent all LAST offseason dealing with these comments about how they fluked into the playoffs and were too healthy and would miss and yada yada. They are a top 5 team they will not miss the playoffs.
Even though all those people who said those things about how they were lucky to make the playoffs in 2017, at least last season they improved by 10 points in the standings and proved it was no fluke.

Fenrirson

Sep 17, 2018
Man, this is the salary cap era. You don't trade first round picks. For me there is no rental player available for that that puts the leafs over the top anyway.

Dumb idea.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
No, the Leafs won't move their first for a few months of Panarin.

They're already going to have the best offense in the league.
If it was offered they would be morons not to do it. Don't care if their offense is already good.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Yes, they are needed. Role/auxiliary players need to be replaced internally , and you do that by insuring you draft well. The worst mistake contending teams make is either overpaying role players or trading for them externally and wasting draft capital. Teams do this because they don't have prospects ready to fill holes.

If we use Sandin as an example , you can consider the impact he has on the organization already. The Leafs may not be able to keep Gardiner (just the truth) if their young stars command heavy dollar. If this is the case, then presumably Dermott fills the hole. By doing that, Sandin suddenly becomes a vital piece within the next 2-4 years.

If you just punt 1st round picks for rentals , then you leave yourself devoid of options. When you don't have options , you do dumb things- like overpay for marginal talent.

Again, I'm not anti-trading picks , but it has to be for the right piece. That piece is pretty obvious in regards to the Leafs. There's absolutely no reason to harm your future flexibility because you want to upgrade your third line winger position for a couple months. A move that likely won't move the needle at all and will have future ramifications - even if they're unforeseen.

Keep in mind, we only have 50 roster spots. At some point moving a first to insulate for a long playoff run may be the wise choice. Not sure if this is the year to do that, but will have probably the most cap flexibility this year then the next 3-5 years.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So the Leafs were supposed to know months in advance who the Lightning would be selecting with that 2nd round pick?

Huh?

What are you talking about? How on earth could the Leafs know who Tampa was going to pick?

Also why even bring up that he scored 23 goals as a rookie in the AHL?

Uh, to illustrate the quality of asset they could have picked with that selection rather then give it away for a few weeks of Brian Boyle?

In that 2nd round of the 2017 draft the Leafs also had a 2nd round pick from the Senators because of the Dion Phaneuf trade, so I guess that's why they were able to part with their other one to the Lightning.

Or.... they just hang on to the pick and have an extra pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00