Value of: Toronto's 2019 1st round pick for playoff rental

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Petry is a 4. He is not great defensively and is okay offensively. I say this because we already have two 50 point D men. No thanks.

Not really true. Petry is a weird case. He used to be incredibly inconsistent, like at nights he would play like a top pairing stud while others you would only see a human slalom stick. But then he really stepped up his game after Weber went down last year and was playing like a #2 most year. You definitely can't call him just a #4, that's for sure.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Looking for a rental player on the last year of their contract. Willing to give up our 1st round pick as the main piece. Likely trading partners are non-playoff teams.

Prefered - #4 RHD
Would also take a 2nd line ~20 goal scorer.
Why would you limit your options by taking back a rental. Why not trade it for something more?

Richierich61

Sep 29, 2018
Looking for a rental player on the last year of their contract. Willing to give up our 1st round pick as the main piece. Likely trading partners are non-playoff teams.

Prefered - #4 RHD

Want Ceci?? Well even take Carrick back ;)

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Considering rentals seldom pan out and Duby's penchant for playing percentages, I don't think we'll see him making big deals at trade deadline time.

If he does do anything, a very low draft pick would be in play for a depth guy.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, they are needed. Role/auxiliary players need to be replaced internally , and you do that by insuring you draft well. The worst mistake contending teams make is either overpaying role players or trading for them externally and wasting draft capital. Teams do this because they don't have prospects ready to fill holes.

If we use Sandin as an example , you can consider the impact he has on the organization already. The Leafs may not be able to keep Gardiner (just the truth) if their young stars command heavy dollar. If this is the case, then presumably Dermott fills the hole. By doing that, Sandin suddenly becomes a vital piece within the next 2-4 years.

If you just punt 1st round picks for rentals , then you leave yourself devoid of options. When you don't have options , you do dumb things- like overpay for marginal talent.

Again, I'm not anti-trading picks , but it has to be for the right piece. That piece is pretty obvious in regards to the Leafs. There's absolutely no reason to harm your future flexibility because you want to upgrade your third line winger position for a couple months. A move that likely won't move the needle at all and will have future ramifications - even if they're unforeseen.

Like I said in my other response to you I'm not against keeping the 1st round pick

But you have 14 players 26 or younger, 10 of which are 25 or younger and 5 of which are 22 or younger.

That's why the 2019 1st isn't needed, this isn't Ottawa or Montreal or the NYR, The Leafs are ridiculously young and they are looking for the final piece, if they don't have to move their 1st to get that piece, that's perfect I'm not against keeping the 1st round pick.

But if they have to move their 1st round pick to get that final piece , the team is young enough where it's not a big deal

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016

Prefered - #4 RHD
Brock nelson and a 4th for 1st and 3rd

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Petry would be a perfect fit here. Everyone says we need a #1 RHD. Sure. So do most teams. They're nearly impossible to find. You don't need a perfect blue line to win the cup. It's been proven by the Pens and Caps. No more Boyle and Plekanec type rentals please.
I think "top pair" would be good enough, Rielly's a #1 if he repeats last year's performance but I agree with the sentiment. Petry can handle tough competition in big minutes and does well in them, and he has enough time left on his contract to give us enough time to figure out a successor whether that's Liljegren or soemone else. He's my top "band aid" target, there are a few guys that could be available who are probably an ideal solution who are younger that I would include Liljegren in a deal to get if they were available like Trouba but I think those are less likely

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Silfverberg? Solid 2 way winger for you. Not sure what the exact trade value on that is.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Silfverberg? Solid 2 way winger for you. Not sure what the exact trade value on that is.
I'm not sure why OP mentioned a winger, but there is absolutely no need for Toronto to acquire one. We're playing with 2 injured ones in the preseason and still icing a very good set

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I'm not sure why OP mentioned a winger, but there is absolutely no need for Toronto to acquire one. We're playing with 2 injured ones in the preseason and still icing a very good set
Only reason I think Panarin would be good is to give our left side some punch 5 on 5.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Myers, assuming that the young guys in WPG work out, and Myers is meh.

That's about as good as the Leafs can expect for a #1 pick in the 20's.

This only works for WPG. If Morssey continues to be good, and Niku takes a step up, and Samburg( or someone like that) looks promising.

Still unlikely, but worth mentioning.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
that's true but probably not affordable, I would take a defensive upgrade over Panarin and I think the acquisition cost would be a lot lower
with the assets we have we legit could go ALL IN and get a fwd and a D man, but thats not how Dubas works. But being over the top is what these boards are for.
1st+Bracco+Levio for Panarin
2nd+Johansson+SDA/Holl for Petry
other teams fans my scoff at the value but I feel my offers are more than fair considering what high end rentals have gone for in the past.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
with the assets we have we legit could go ALL IN and get a fwd and a D man, but thats not how Dubas works. But being over the top is what these boards are for.
other teams fans my scoff at the value
but I feel my offers are more than fair considering what high end rentals have gone for in the past.

That much is obvious.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
other teams fans my scoff at the value but I feel my offers are more than fair considering what high end rentals have gone for in the past.

Uh........I'm a Leaf fan and I scoff at your valuations. LOL. They're ridiculous.

Ask yourself: Would YOU give up Panarin for Bracco, Leivo and the 28th-31st OA pick???????

Jesus, Leaf fans. C'mon.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think those values are low but you also didn't include our two most valuable non-roster assets in Liljegren & Sandin, I'm sure we could afford upgrades on both fronts in terms of trade value but cap constraints will come into play and I think getting a Panarin just to push a Leivo/Johnsson/Kapanen/Brown off the roster is less of an upgrade than you'd be paying for because those guys should be pretty good NHL'ers.

I also like the idea of keeping the system stocked, if we're lucky enough to keep a train of ELC talent going and find a late round gem or two we might extend our contention window by the length of their ELC's. Like Brown/Hyman probably get unaffordable at their next contract so we'll have to trade them for probably futures, so if you have another wave of guys who are as good or better ready to take their place on ELC contracts (Bracco, Brooks, Grundstrom, Korshkov, SDA, etc) then you ice a good team for a while longer and you get some futures to continue the cycle

Chicago is a good example - Kane is still a star level player, Toews has dropped off but if he were still a 65-70pt stud two-way center that gives a core to build around (I think that Marner & Matthews will be a comparable duo, probably a poor man's Kane and a rich man's Toews). They've become less competitive because they couldn't afford to keep good support players and didn't have system replacements at the ready, now that they're getting some system talent in DeBrincat/Schmaltz they will probably start to get competitive again but that's where I see the key to sustainability. Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander/Rielly/Andersen should be a good enough core to build a contender around for quite a while as long as they aren't playing with guys like Anisimov (good player but not as a scoring line center), Panik, etc.

Pittsburgh has done it well, kept the same core in place and had affordable support pieces around them, so I would follow that model - make sure you're drafting a lot and have good scouting & development staff, don't lose pieces for nothing like JVR/Bozak, keep looking for UDFA talent which I think we do well and will have terrific bait for the next Panarin in terms of playing in a spot that will rack up their points, plan for turnover of supporting players and find ways to underpay support players on longer contracts - which I think we'll have an opportunity with Leivo this year if he plays well

Reactions: JohnnyT91

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yes, they are needed. Role/auxiliary players need to be replaced internally , and you do that by insuring you draft well. The worst mistake contending teams make is either overpaying role players or trading for them externally and wasting draft capital. Teams do this because they don't have prospects ready to fill holes.

If we use Sandin as an example , you can consider the impact he has on the organization already. The Leafs may not be able to keep Gardiner (just the truth) if their young stars command heavy dollar. If this is the case, then presumably Dermott fills the hole. By doing that, Sandin suddenly becomes a vital piece within the next 2-4 years.

If you just punt 1st round picks for rentals , then you leave yourself devoid of options. When you don't have options , you do dumb things- like overpay for marginal talent.

Again, I'm not anti-trading picks , but it has to be for the right piece. That piece is pretty obvious in regards to the Leafs. There's absolutely no reason to harm your future flexibility because you want to upgrade your third line winger position for a couple months. A move that likely won't move the needle at all and will have future ramifications - even if they're unforeseen.

QFT.

A year from now, the Leafs are going to be in a little bit of cap hell -- it may cost them Gardiner, and if not, will almost certainly cost them Marleau, and possibly Brown or Hyman. At that point, they'll be looking for more young guys to fill the gaps alongside the big 4 up front. Those replacements would typically be the guys that the Leafs drafted in 2015-2017.

Obviously, those 3 drafts were pretty light on forwards after Marner/Matthews-- and that's probably why the Leafs have done such a "dance" to hang onto the likes of Kapanen, Leivo, etc.

3-4 years down the road, the Leafs will undoubtedly have another "cap crunch" of some sort, and that's where having a young forward, that was drafted somewhere late in the 1st round, is going to be able to alleviate it, allowing the Leafs to walk from a guy that might otherwise make $3 or $4m.

Furthermore, the Leafs have one of the best 1-2-3 punches down the middle in the league. They have 2 of the league's top dynamic young wingers and Patrick Marleau. Both Nylander and Marleau can jump into the middle if need be. They have a great supporting cast of middle-6 wingers in Brown, Hyman, Kapanen and Leivo. Another winger is like the last thing they need. You could make the case for a 4th line C if Lindholm doesn't pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad