Post-Game Talk: Toronto Wins! HYMAN perfect as a human and andersen on fire

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Nov 20, 2018 • 03:35

Zach Hyman addresses the media following Toronto's 4-2 victory over Columbus on Monday

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Just finished watching the game. Boys started out great but couldn't breakthrough. Glad we stuck with it and won, feels great. Andersen was stellar. Made some really KEY saves at big times.

Hyman was a beast all night. He really made some space for JT and Mitch to do their thing. Mitch. What more is there to say? Guy is a real-life magician on ice. Fascinating watching him do his thing. Sometimes I wonder if he feels he's in the Budweiser Gardens?

4 wins in a row. 2nd in the league.

Reactions: hullsy47

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Jet fan here. I know that some Jet fans and Leaf fans don't like each other but this is one Jet fan that has a lot of respect for the what the Leaf management has built. Without Matthews and Nylander your team keeps winning. How good will you be when both of these players are playing? Toronto is a real SC contender. I'm 55 years old and this is the first time I can say this. Jets are finally playing some good hockey again and I think a all Canadian final is deffinitly possible. See you guys in June.

We can hope, that would be fantastic for Canada! Of course with the Leafs coming out on top. Jets have a great team too, for all the disgruntled fans a few years back slagging Chevy for not pulling of trades I guess he has them eating some crow. One of the deepest teams and prospects coming out the yin yang!

Reactions: libertarian

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Andersen is the single biggest reason why we've been so successful while missing 2/3rds of our top line. Yeah Marner is tied with Connor McDavid for 3rd in league scoring while leading the league in primary points, and we've got MOrrgan "f*** the Norris give me the Art Ross" Rielly going clinically insane, but Andersen's last 6 starts he's rocking a .949, .933, .957, .974, .975, and 1.000. 2nd in SV% on the season. That's goofy. It's hard to lose with goaltending like that.

Oh and Tavares has been "OK."

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
They missed all the calls. Not calling a penalty tonight didn't mean that every player played clean.
Agreed. Guaranteed we'd be complaining in the PGT about missed calls if we lost.

When a skilled team is going up against a more veteran, physically imposing team AND no penalties "letting the boys play" will be called the advantage goes to the more physical team who takes pride in obstruction.

We should've had atleast 2 PPs tonight. In the end it's okay because we won, but I always felt refereeing at a team's home arena is catered to their play style. But I've seen countless times teams run a ridiculous amount of obstruction on us to minimize our skill and it goes uncalled. Most of the games, and usually at home.

They say the new NHL is based on skill & speed. So then? Why is the playing field sorta being leveled? If a skilled team runs set plays and is working at creating opportunities and all you're doing is running late picks and obstruction IT SHOULD BE CALLED.

By the way is Boone Jenner & Nick Foligno related to Bettman anyhow? They get away with a ridiculous amount of shit. Hate playing the bl**j**s.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Remember the time when we had players like Aki Berg, Brett " -9 " Lebda, Jeff Finger, Staffan "Not Niklas" Kronwall, Bates Battaglia, Luca Caputi and John Pohl?? :cry: :madfire:

What a time to be a Leafs fan :scared:

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
I've been hard on Zach Hyman but I have to give him credit. He puts himself in good positions for NHL players to bounce pucks off. His shooting percentage must be at least 10% with the goalie out.

Reactions: hotpaws

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Great game. Everyone played very well. Our 3 line was very good as was our 1st line. The 2 nd line and the 4line were good.

Our D look better and better each game. One blessing in this Nylander contract is that if he remains unsigned that it makes resigned Gardiner very easy. Gardiner is not like Bozak it JVR he has much more value. Our D are playing better and better with each passing game and we will only need some depth down the stretch and into the playoffs.

This x 1000. The salary cap is definitely a consideration when considering Nylander trades IMO. If we get a cheaper player like Pesce (just as an example) and it helps us resign Gardiner, that factors in to the equation for sure IMO.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Andersen is the single biggest reason why we've been so successful while missing 2/3rds of our top line. Yeah Marner is tied with Connor McDavid for 3rd in league scoring while leading the league in primary points, and we've got MOrrgan "**** the Norris give me the Art Ross" Rielly going clinically insane, but Andersen's last 6 starts he's rocking a .949, .933, .957, .974, .975, and 1.000. 2nd in SV% on the season. That's goofy. It's hard to lose with goaltending like that.

Oh and Tavares has been "OK."
It just baffles me that so many people continue to underrate Freddie. My one friend said shortly after the start of the season that he thought Sparks was going to steal the #1 job. Granted, he was drunk at the time, but still. Andersen's a legit #1. I guess stealing 2 games in the series against Boston wasn't enough. Some people expected him to pull off 4 shutouts.

It is worth noting though, that it is November, and it's Andersen's traditional month to tear it the f*** up. So it's a fun month to be a Leafs fan.

Oh yeah, that Tavares guy has been pretty good too. It's nice having another all-star center I guess.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Remember the time when we had players like Aki Berg, Brett " -9 " Lebda, Jeff Finger, Staffan "Not Niklas" Kronwall, Bates Battaglia, Luca Caputi and John Pohl?? :cry: :madfire:

What a time to be a Leafs fan :scared:

Berg was at least surrounded by some good teams. The others... Not so much. :laugh:

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Berg was at least surrounded by se good teams. The others... Not so much. :laugh:
Surrounded by good players/good team makes all the difference.
Look at last night. The rebuild.
If I told you the goal scorers from last night (other than JT) were Hyman (2), Ennis, you’d think we were just starting the rebuild.
Fortunately we have all the other pieces to go with.

Reactions: Jmo89

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Freddie stole that one, every single member of the team including coaches, wives, girlfriends, EVERYBODY owes Freddie a stake dinner after last night because they were BAD in the 1st they simply didn't try in the 1st period, without Freddie they lose he hasn't had to steal many games but he did last night

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Fantastic comeback, I hope the kids use games like this to look back on, whenever they're down 2 goals in the future.

Man, like a half decade ago I would've turned it off after going down 2 to save myself from frustration. Now I just wait for the Leafs to kick it into high gear.
I haven't felt this confident in a Leaf team's ability to come back since the Burns era

Reactions: SoVi3t

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad