Post-Game Talk: Toronto Wins! HYMAN perfect as a human and andersen on fire

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Gardiner were on another team, some would be talking about trading for him. He has his warts, as do all d-men, but I think we've chased too many d-men out of town, and they are far too difficult to come by. Keep him if they can get him at or under 6
Spot on...

People need to spend a few games watching EK and Burns to see how many mistakes elite defenseman make every game.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
That will be interesting
I think either they trade Nylander, find a cheaper option for Zaitsev, and possibly Brown - and Hainsey will be gone
I think Nylander is bridged, Gardiner is resigned and this whole Nylander situation is visited in a few years when Patty and Hainsey are off the books.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Babcock has a problem with Nylander's compete level without the puck. Kadri has more of a want for the puck and will more often than not do what it takes to get it back. Nylander on many occasions doesn't but on other occasions does, just not consistently enough.
That's weird because I think that's one of Nylander's strong points - at least in the neutral zone - led the league in NZ stick checks last year

Reactions: Wendelstache

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not the outcome I expected after watching the first but they found their legs, huge win.
Columbus is a really good Team, I could see an ECF with Toronto/Tampa vs Columbus.

Reactions: canadon

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
William can't be signed until we know the score with Mathews and Marner. This summer over half the team will need new deals. William should be in the mix, he'll just have to sit tight on that island.

Last edited:

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Too soon to judge, Matthews ability to stay healthy has to be a question mark right now. Yes, it is ... 2 shoulder injuries and a concussion, now maybe he's never injured again but you have to have that in mind. Lindros was a beast, Hart Trophy winner, could do everything but a stay healthy.

But scoring goals is still what wins games, and Matthews has 84 goals in 155 games GPG .541 to lead the team.
Kadri 71 in 183 games GPG .388
van Riemsdyk 65 in 163 GPG .399
Marner 47 in 180 GPG .261
Nylander 42 in 163 GPG .258

But right now geez, who would I chose? This might be like asking Messier or Gretzky ... who caused his team to win more Cups?
You make valid points.

Marner has a ton of primary assist, comes to play every night, kills penalties and maybe most importantly he showed up against Boston in the playoffs last year getting 9 points vs Matthews 2 - that's what wins cups

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I was impressed with the Lindholm line, they did a really good job shutting down CBJ and for the most part the Goat line also did a good shut down job too.
Ennis hit the post on his first shot but got us back in the game with his razzle dazzle play behind the net then a seeing eye shot for the goal and despite playing at the bottom of the order, he has earned his measly 650 thou cap hit...... 3G/2A/and a plus 1.

Last edited:

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Fantastic comeback, I hope the kids use games like this to look back on, whenever they're down 2 goals in the future.

Man, like a half decade ago I would've turned it off after going down 2 to save myself from frustration. Now I just wait for the Leafs to kick it into high gear.

This is so true! I started watching football and flipping back and forth after they went down 2. It's tough to get over the old mindset.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I was impressed with the Lindholm line, they did a really good job shutting down CBJ and for the most part the Goat line also did a good shut down job too.
Ennis hit the post on his first shot but got us back in the game with his razzle dazzle play behind the net then a seeing eye shot for the goal and despite playing at the bottom of the order, he has earned his measly 650 thou cap hit...... 3G/2A/and a plus 1.

Agreed! They were probably our best line. Lindholm has been a revelation! Thank God, we don't need to give up a 2nd this year to get a veteran 3rd, 4th line C who will take the balance of the season to get acclimated to the new system and not product.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
The fourth line has been substantial this year. They work hard, keep the puck in the opponents end (for the most part) and chip in every few games. There is literally nothing more they need to do. As long as Goat keeps winning faceoffs, and the other two dig in hard and use their skill, they will be fine the rest of the year.

Reactions: Lauro

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Yeah I can see that, but in the defensive zone is where Babs pays his most attention to Nylander because that’s the weakest part of his game

That's weird because I think that's one of Nylander's strong points - at least in the neutral zone - led the league in NZ stick checks last year

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Depends. If Marleau is gone then it's doable. Nylander's not on the books yet either so that's another thing.
Again, I don't see a way we sign Gardiner.

Do you actually think we will trade Marleau and/or Nylander won't be signed?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Again, I don't see a way we sign Gardiner.

Do you actually think we will trade Marleau and/or Nylander won't be signed?

I believe there is a good chance that Marleau is off the books next year, yes. Nylander may be signed to a bridge deal, or traded for a less pricey player which would give us some room to work with as well.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
William can't be signed until we know the score with Mathews and Marner. This summer over half the team will need new deals. William should be in the mix, he'll just have to sit tight on that island.

I’d love to see Matthews and Mitch sign reasonable deals and make Nylander look even more stupid if he decides to sit the year out. Marner puts up 80-100 points and signs somewhere reasonable and Willy is left with even less leverage than before

Reactions: Confucius

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I believe there is a good chance that Marleau is off the books next year, yes. Nylander may be signed to a bridge deal, or traded for a less pricey player which would give us some room to work with as well.

1. Why would Marleau waive his NMC? I don't see Marleau being moved or "off the books" at all.
2. Even if Nylander signs a bridge deal, we won't be able to afford Gardiner.
3. I don't think Nylander will be traded. And even if he was, the cap savings we would get from a potential trade won't be enough to sign Gardiner.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
1. Why would Marleau waive his NMC? I don't see Marleau being moved or "off the books" at all.
2. Even if Nylander signs a bridge deal, we won't be able to afford Gardiner.
3. I don't think Nylander will be traded. And even if he was, the cap savings we would get from a potential trade won't be enough to sign Gardiner.

1)
The Marleau thing has been debated to death so I'll assume you're familiar with the arguments. IMHO, the biggest thing in favour of there being some sort of handshake agreement in place is that the 3rd year of the contract is absolutely brutal and I find it hard to believe that our management was dumb enough to commit to that. If however they've agreed to an out after MArner has collected 17 out of 18 million, then it makes perfect sense. We'll see.

2)
That's not necessarily true and depends on what we're paying out elsewhere. Paying Willie say 4.7 instead of 6.7 helps though, that's all I'm saying. Maybe it comes down to us needing to find just a couple million in cap space somewhere in which case letting Brown go if that's what it takes to keep Jake would be an easy decision for me.

3)
I don't think he'll be traded either, I just mentioned it as a possibility and that it most certainly is. And we don't know what the cap saving would be and yes, they won't be "enough" but as in point #2, every little bit helps.

Bottom line - it's just wrong IMHO to say we can't sign Jake. Depending on some other things it may or may not be easy but I think it's definitely possible.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
1)
The Marleau thing has been debated to death so I'll assume you're familiar with the arguments. IMHO, the biggest thing in favour of there being some sort of handshake agreement in place is that the 3rd year of the contract is absolutely brutal and I find it hard to believe that our management was dumb enough to commit to that. If however they've agreed to an out after MArner has collected 17 out of 18 million, then it makes perfect sense. We'll see.

2)
That's not necessarily true and depends on what we're paying out elsewhere. Paying Willie say 4.7 instead of 6.7 helps though, that's all I'm saying. Maybe it comes down to us needing to find just a couple million in cap space somewhere in which case letting Brown go if that's what it takes to keep Jake would be an easy decision for me.

3)
I don't think he'll be traded either, I just mentioned it as a possibility and that it most certainly is. And we don't know what the cap saving would be and yes, they won't be "enough" but as in point #2, every little bit helps.

Bottom line - it's just wrong IMHO to say we can't sign Jake. Depending on some other things it may or may not be easy but I think it's definitely possible.
Anything is possible, I guess. But I just find it extremely unlikely we will be able to afford him.

Just don't see how given our cap situation this year and next, any way we would be able to afford him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Anything is possible, I guess. But I just find it extremely unlikely we will be able to afford him.

Just don't see how given our cap situation this year and next, any way we would be able to afford him.
How about we have another 5.3 m in Hortons contract that we maybe could shed as well. That along with Haisney not coming back means we could fit him in. Or can they use the Horton contract to exceed the max cap by his salary of 5.3m?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->