Toronto vs Calgary 7 game series.

Who would win in a 7 game series with current rosters?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
They’re literally below Toronto in points percentage. They also missed the playoffs last year and they may as well have missed in the year before when they got swept in the first round by the ****ing Ducks.

Their starting goaltender is an unproven 26 year old with less than 40 starts at the NHL level who posted an .889 SV% in 12 AHL games and their backup is Mike Smith.

They’re not even top-10 in 5V5 GF/60, they’re not top ten in 5V5 GA/60, they’re not top-10 in PP%, and they’re not top-10 in PK%. And given what I mentioned above, they’re lucky as hell that they’re not bottom-10 in save percentage, but they probably will be by the end of the season.

The one thing that brings them into this elite class is that they’re 1st in the NHL with 157 power play opportunities. They do nothing else at an elite level. And while they do have some solid **** disturbers like Gaudreau and Tkachuk, who draw penalties quite well, I don’t think that they’re going to sustain those 157 power play opportunities.

Outside of the PP opportunities, they’re a pretty solid Swiss Army knife of a team - not bad in any category (though I suspect goaltending will be by the end of the season), but not great at anything. That’s not really a winning formula.

Flames are 8th in both 5v5 GF/60 & 5v5 GA/60, which puts them 7th in 5v5 GF%.

They're also 10th in PP%.

At the very least, if you're going to continue to try and shoot down the Flames, at least use facts.

Lying just makes you sounds like a jealous Sharks fan, which is quite clear

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Huge Leaf fan here. But I love Calgary's team, they are absolutely built for playoff hockey. Not only do they have loads of skill, but there's grit on that squad. This is 50/50 to me. I have the leafs slightly more skilled on offence, but Calgary kind of makes of for it with grit some of their forwards play with. Defense is an edge to the Flames, whereas goal-tending is Leafs. I really don't know who would win. I could see a scenerio where Matthews Tavares Marner overwhelm, but I could see a scenerio where Flames match the skill and grind the leafs down. I don't see the point in bickering, both teams are around the same tier.
This.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Among all NHL players who take the puck away more than they give it away, Marner is tied for 8th in the league in takeaways tied with Ryan O'Reilly, and the top 3 are Mark Stone, Aleksander Barkov and Connor McDavid. Munch on that flamesforthecup.

https://www.foxsports.com/nhl/stats...sort=7&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0

Ya, but “having watched Marner play, he gives the puck away too much” -flamesforcup

Asks for a civil debate. Makes a claim Gaudreau is better than Marner at hanging onto the puck. Gets rebutted with stats, as happens in debates. Realizes he isn't equipped to debate.

This one is going in the scrapbook for sure.

Marner with another bad defensive game costing the Leafs another win. It must just be pure coincidence that every time i turn on a leafs game theres at least 1 goal against caused by a Marner turnover. Very one dimensional player.

edit: lol he was also a minus 3 tonight. Horrid defensive game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Marner with another bad defensive game costing the Leafs another win. It must just be pure coincidence that every time i turn on a leafs game theres at least 1 goal against caused by a Marner turnover. Very one dimensional player.

No goal against tonight was the result of a Marner turnover.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
His shorthanded goal.... Its pretty obvious it was Marners turnover which caused the whole play for the goal to start.

That's the turnover you were talking about? His pass to Kapanen which actually connected. and then Gardiner giving it away in his own zone? [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A lot in this thread has been made about how will the Flames stop the two prong assault of Marner/Tavares and Matthews/Nylander?

How are the Leafs going to withstand the Flames top line (one of the best in the league) and then a second line that has a PPG player and absolutely dominant possession in Tkachuk/Backlund/Frolik; all while having to march out the Gardiner/Zaitsev against one of them? At least the Flames get to march out one of the best top pairs in the league, and then one of the best second pairings in the league in Hammer/Hamonic.

Reactions: Migos

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto

A coach would be mad at Marner for making that play on the PP if he didn’t have support.... But he had it.... Marner is there to make plays as the QB and turnovers are inevitable. He has support and tried to make a play rather than throwing it back down the boards.. It’s not his fault Gardiner had a step as well as body position and still lost the puck.

Nobody with a clue in this game is blaming Marner for that. A competent NHL defensman with that time and space should easily turn the play around. Nobody credible will argue that.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Leafs fan saying the Flames would win BUT I think TO could change that with a deadline acquisition of a competent RHD (even if Calgary adds a player)

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec

Why do you target Marner so much? Did he steal your girlfriend or something? He’s a great young player that will only get better. His defensive game is getting better and better and he also pk’s now. Does he have areas to work on? Sure but he’s definately on the right track. He takes the puck away from the opponent far more often then he gives it up but he’s obviously going to give it up from time to time due to him handling it so often.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
A lot of this series can depend on coaching.

I would be very interested to see who outplays the other. Apprentice (Peters) vs. Master (Babcock).

We can talk about the players all we want but it also depends on the deployment of players.

For me this would be the biggest headline of the series.

Reactions: Migos

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Leafs fan saying the Flames would win BUT I think TO could change that with a deadline acquisition of a competent RHD (even if Calgary adds a player)

If TO can add a solid top 4 RHD without doing anything to their roster, would be interesting. That being said, it’s vertainly give them one competent RHD in the lineup.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Why do you target Marner so much? Did he steal your girlfriend or something? He’s a great young player that will only get better. His defensive game is getting better and better and he also pk’s now. Does he have areas to work on? Sure but he’s definately on the right track. He takes the puck away from the opponent far more often then he gives it up but he’s obviously going to give it up from time to time due to him handling it so often.

Dude, that poster is a joke. I showed him how Gaudreau gives the puck away twice as much as he takes it away and he just can't accept it. He also blocks far less shots than Marner and hits far less.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Dude, that poster is a joke. I showed him how Gaudreau gives the puck away twice as much as he takes it away and he just can't accept it. He also blocks far less shots than Marner and hits far less.
Well to everyone its obvious that Gaudreau is the superior player in the part of the game that matters for offensive wingers and that is.... Offense! But u and other Leafs fans try acting like Marners defense somehow makes up for the offensive gap when that is laughable. If Marner cant even match Gaudreau while playing with a player like Tavares than what argument does he have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad