Post-Game Talk: Toronto verses Detroit - Oct 2nd @ 7:30 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Hyman is going to make the team, he's been too good not to. As for players like Polak, Robidas, Arcobello, Panik etc., they've really sucked and don't deserve to make the team, but they probably will.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Gonna be interesting to see what they do with Arcobello. You could pin the first 2 Detroit goals on his lousy defense but he's got great vision on the PP, which has been pretty bad all preseason.

I wonder if they'll try him on the wing, or if he'll replace Holland who has been lousy all preseason.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It'll be interesting of Babcock tells management he wants the kids to play.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The skill in Kapanen is there. It just looks like he's waiting for something to happen instead of going to get it.

I think Kapanen is one of those players that will thrive with set lines & familiarity. Send him down to the AHL & set him up with a skilled line, once he becomes familiar with the players I think he'll take off.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
i didn't see the game, but the fact that Hyman was good is good news! We need solid 3rd line guys in the future. Maybe he will play that role.

I think he will be high on the list for call-ups once the regular team gets dismantled. Or, maybe he'll be there day one.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
How were harrington and marincin?

I haven't been impressed with Marincin at all. There's a solid player in there somewhere, but he just makes dumb mistakes and decisions, and just can't seem to round his game completely.

There was one play, where he carried the puck out of our zone, had all the time in the world, and then just iced it. (I think it was against Buffalo)

To me he should be the 7th D, that can kinda rotate in every now and then, and then fill in for injuries. I think all of Harrington/Percy/Loov have been much better, and deserve the spot beside Polak.

This assuming they do what is right and get rid of Robidas

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nope. But he did like Bozak... his best game... along with the kids.

He wasn't bad. He wasn't good. Average all across.

He's struggling badly to find chemistry with players.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He wasn't bad. He wasn't good. Average all across.

He's struggling badly finding chemistry with players.

I'm willing to give him some time. He still plays as if he's got Kessel on his wing out there. He needs to adapt, and he clearly hasn't yet.

Edit: I mean that I'm willing to wait before I dismiss him utterly. I'm still solidly in the camp that wants to see him traded as soon as we can get something worthwhile for him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm willing to give him some time. He still plays as if he's got Kessel on his wing out there. He needs to adapt, and he clearly hasn't yet.

Edit: I mean that I'm willing to wait before I dismiss him utterly. I'm still solidly in the camp that wants to see him traded as soon as we can get something worthwhile for him.

We don't have much of a choice to be patient unfortunately.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Bozak/Lupul should be next on the to do list.
We have surrounding vets in Spaling/Winnik/Komarov/Matthias/Boyes etc. That we can work a deserving young player in without ruining them.
We still need to purge the old core. They've been here to long, collapsing and losing.
Bozak/Lupul/Phaneuf I would like to see moved in the next year or two.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
At least they finally showed up.

Phaneuf is garbage. He was directly responsible for this loss.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It isn't a story of legend:
-rich kid's dad buys hockey team then league then scouting service
-rich dad hated my many other hockey dads forced to pay ever-escalating fees
-rich kid gets drafted by NHL team owned by the same person who buys scouting service owned by dad
-rich kid plays at school heavily endowed by his dad
-rich kid is mostly invisible for his first two NCAA seasons almost looking out of place
-rich kid works hard on his skating, gets to play with the best talent at his school as a senior
-rich kid forces a trade from the team that drafted him to his hometown team
-rich kid is given an NHL number (11) before playing a single game

All that yet I've got to admit that this kid has played well. He looks like he can be a 3rd/4th liner this season.

CalgaryLeaf*

Is the lineup out yet for tonight's game?...I hope Nylander is playing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Then I recommend these types of games for anyone suffering from insomnia.

I see a few penalties in the game… the players must have run into each other by accident.

Please, please tighten up even more and focus on time killing, meaningless cycling that never generates a scoring chance so that these riveting "new" NHL matches could end in scores of 2-1.

;)

Wasn't it known that Babcock, employs a boring style of hockey?

You'll have to wait for the kids for entertainment.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
It isn't a story of legend:
-rich kid's dad buys hockey team then league then scouting service
-rich dad hated my many other hockey dads forced to pay ever-escalating fees
-rich kid gets drafted by NHL team owned by the same person who buys scouting service owned by dad
-rich kid plays at school heavily endowed by his dad
-rich kid is mostly invisible for his first two NCAA seasons almost looking out of place
-rich kid works hard on his skating, gets to play with the best talent at his school as a senior
-rich kid forces a trade from the team that drafted him to his hometown team
-rich kid is given an NHL number (11) before playing a single game

All that yet I've got to admit that this kid has played well. He looks like he can be a 3rd/4th liner this season.

I wouldn't be jumping the gun too quickly.

He's played 9 periods with the Leafs & in the first 5 I would say he looked lost. The final 4 have been pretty good, but it has been much more about skating with energy versus accomplishing much on the ice. In his defence, that's more than many others have done.

His skating has improved drastically over the last 4 years. For those that think because he is a good size, that he is a physical or tough player, he's not, so don't expect it. He considers himself a scorer, can he be at this level? I don't know yet, but I think he needs to go to the AHL for a proper assessment & to see if he can produce there first.

The rumour was that he wouldn't sign with the Panthers because they wouldn't guarantee a spot on their club. I can't imagine Babcock or Lamoriello accepting that kind of condition. There have been some on here who think Nylander & Brown should be on the Leafs now. I think they should start with the Marlies & I would put both of them well ahead of Hyman.

In the last 4 periods he has supplied some good energy, but I could do that too & I'm old & decrepit.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Is the lineup out yet for tonight's game?...I hope Nylander is playing.

CQZf6eRUwAATJ7y.jpg:large

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah Hyman should be viewed as a potential depth scorer with a good two-way game, that can play with some hustle. The two-way game has been there and the hustle too, but I haven't seen much in the way of offensive capability from him yet. He might be the type that will need more skilled linemates that he can help cycle the puck without being a liability in the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad