Post-Game Talk: Toronto verses Detroit - Oct 2nd @ 7:30 pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
After watching the last couple of games, does anyone else notice that the Leafs REALLY struggle trying to get the puck out of their own zone?!?!?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
After watching the last couple of games, does anyone else notice that the Leafs REALLY struggle trying to get the puck out of their own zone?!?!?

They struggle out of their own zone and struggle to keep it in the opposition zone. Bad combination. They don't have the horses which is why Babcock called them one and done.
They didn't play bad tonight, there are just 20 better teams than them.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
They struggle out of their own zone and struggle to keep it in the opposition zone. Bad combination. They don't have the horses which is why Babcock called them one and done.
I think more like 16 or 17.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

20 better teams? Hopefully there will be 29 better teams by season's end! :naughty:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah he played well; the line as a whole needs work though, particularly the right winger.

This is a case where we have enough vets: Matthias/Winnik/Leo/Spaling/Boyes to shield the young guys where I wish we could dump Lupul/Bozak and use the spot for a Nylander/Brown. Not because I'm giving them the spot but because they've been better.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Agreed here. Hyman and Kapanen looked really strong.

Robidas and Arcobello were awful. Phaneuf hasn't had a good pre-season so far either.

It was a bad turnover at a bad time, but Dion's had bad pre-seasons before only to start out hot as soon as the season starts. I expect a whole lot more from the vets as soon as things get going for real.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
It was a bad turnover at a bad time, but Dion's had bad pre-seasons before only to start out hot as soon as the season starts. I expect a whole lot more from the vets as soon as things get going for real.
He will get better yeah when the time goes on. He'll be our best d-man when its really there.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Hyman looked good. Kadri looked good early on. That's about it.

Kapanen could use a full year in A. He played well but has a lot of gap in his game. For a good skater he doesn't skate much.

Robidas, Polak and Dion were awful. I mean bad awful. This is going to be a long season with those guys.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hyman looked good. Kadri looked good early on. That's about it.

Kapanen could use a full year in A. He played well but has a lot of gap in his game. For a good skater he doesn't skate much.

Robidas, Polak and Dion were awful. I mean bad awful. This is going to be a long season with those guys.

The skill in Kapanen is there. It just looks like he's waiting for something to happen instead of going to get it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
To this point the team has good possession and shot totals and mid pak goals against numbers. I seen some instinctive play materialize tonight. Its coming along finally.

I have to say this. Rielly doesn't look a like a elite skater. This kid needs to play harder to his strengths. The drive is not showing to me. I expected some progress in his game and its just not there. He hasn't regressed but he needs to start wheeling out of our own zone or its a talent unrealized with him and Gardiner also.

We have to start hitting these guys with speed leaving our zone. Maybe babs will set some plays for that in the reg season.

I seen way better structure and understanding from them tonight. No a problem with a loss when they work hard like this game.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

I seen that as a regular occurrence tonight also. Every game actually. No speed on the exit is the problem and their ice is clogged before they can get it going. They aren't moving the puck quick enough basically.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I didn't think Phaneuf had a good game, or is a good player to have as your #1 defenceman, but a little too much blame is being placed on a guy for having a pass in his feet get picked with the net empty.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015
I didn't think Phaneuf had a good game, or is a good player to have as your #1 defenceman, but a little too much blame is being placed on a guy for having a pass in his feet get picked with the net empty.

It's the STUPID retaliatory penalties that he's getting heat....not acceptable for a veteran and captain....very selfish.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

Name the 9 teams worse than the Leafs
I think more like 16 or 17.
Name the 12-13 teams worse than the Leafs

Actually closer to 27 or 28 teams.
Correct

Is this guy delusional or what?
Yes, most of his posts are cringe worthy

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I thought Dion actually had a decent game, besides stupid penalties. He's being used effectively on the point, even though he didn't show up on the scoresheet.

Arcobello makes sense as the 2nd center on the PP, he's got good offensive instincts. Stepped into the faceoff circle when Kadri got kicked out and then scored that goal. Might even make sense for him to take the faceoffs, depending on what the gameplan is immediately after.

Rielly was our best player, and Gardiner had solid performance.

A bunch more of our players looked like the bottom six players that they are. Don't hold it against them, they never pretended to be more than that.

The Matthias-Bozak-Lupul line was really bad. Panik was also invisible.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Mike Babcock addresses the media following Toronto's 4-2 pre-season loss to Detroit on Friday night.

[NHL]839719[/NHL]

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I thought Dion actually had a decent game, besides stupid penalties. He's being used effectively on the point, even though he didn't show up on the scoresheet.

Arcobello makes sense as the 2nd center on the PP, he's got good offensive instincts. Stepped into the faceoff circle when Kadri got kicked out and then scored that goal. Might even make sense for him to take the faceoffs, depending on what the gameplan is immediately after.

Rielly was our best player, and Gardiner had solid performance.

A bunch more of our players looked like the bottom six players that they are. Don't hold it against them, they never pretended to be more than that.

The Matthias-Bozak-Lupul line was really bad. Panik was also invisible.

Didn't Babcock say Bozak had his best game!

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i havent noticed arcobello 5v5 all preseason...i thought he be abit better than what hes showed for sure

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sucks that Gardiner and Phaneuf played lousey tonight.

Now we'll never win the cup.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad