damn..No Nylander or Brown.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It isn't a story of legend:
-rich kid's dad buys hockey team then league then scouting service
-rich dad hated my many other hockey dads forced to pay ever-escalating fees
-rich kid gets drafted by NHL team owned by the same person who buys scouting service owned by dad
-rich kid plays at school heavily endowed by his dad
-rich kid is mostly invisible for his first two NCAA seasons almost looking out of place
-rich kid works hard on his skating, gets to play with the best talent at his school as a senior
-rich kid forces a trade from the team that drafted him to his hometown team
-rich kid is given an NHL number (11) before playing a single game

All that yet I've got to admit that this kid has played well. He looks like he can be a 3rd/4th liner this season.

I don't know anything about his background or his rich parents or if he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth, which you seem to imply.

Reading from Wiki and knowing nothing of his background, he seems to have earned some of what he is reaping:

From Wikipedia:
"Zachary Martin Hyman (born June 9, 1992) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player with the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League (NHL). Hyman was drafted 123rd overall by the Florida Panthers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

After leading the entire Canadian Junior Hockey League in scoring, Hockey Canada named him the 2011 CJHL Player of the Year. During the 2014–15 season, Hyman was selected as the University of Michigan's Athlete of the Year, a Hobey Baker Award finalist, a Big Ten First Team All-Star selection, a First Team All-American and a First Team Academic All-American. Hyman set new league records and was named Big Ten Media MVP and crowned Big Ten Scoring Champion."

Last edited:

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
**** Detroit man, how do they keep being so good..

Just when it looks like they're finally gonna suck, BAM! Larkin.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't know anything about his background or his rich parents or if he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth, which you seem to imply.

Reading from Wiki and knowing nothing of his background, he seems to have earned some of what he is reaping:

From Wikipedia:
"Zachary Martin Hyman (born June 9, 1992) is a Canadian professional ice hockey player with the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League (NHL). Hyman was drafted 123rd overall by the Florida Panthers in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

After leading the entire Canadian Junior Hockey League in scoring, Hockey Canada named him the 2011 CJHL Player of the Year. During the 2014–15 season, Hyman was selected as the University of Michigan's Athlete of the Year, a Hobey Baker Award finalist, a Big Ten First Team All-Star selection, a First Team All-American and a First Team Academic All-American. Hyman set new league records and was named Big Ten Media MVP and crowned Big Ten Scoring Champion."

Yeh I wikied him too and was confused.
At first I thought he was talking about that kid from Colorado

CalgaryLeaf*

**** Detroit man, how do they keep being so good..

Just when it looks like they're finally gonna suck, BAM! Larkin.

Yeah he looks like a great one coming up...

Along with Evgeny Svechnikov,Andreas Athanasiou,Tyler Bertuzzi,Anthony Mantha,Teemu Pulkkinen.

They are loaded with good prospects.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
When Babcock says we are not a "heavy" team is he saying we are not a big team or is he saying we play like wimps? It feels to me that he is calling his team out in a back handed jedi master kinda way.

I'm not sure how to take that comment.

Although I'm not sure what he is saying I like his analytical approach, This rookie coach is OK in my books, I like the cut of his jib, i think he might be a keeper. ;)

CalgaryLeaf*

When Babcock says we are not a "heavy" team is he saying we are not a big team or is he saying we play like wimps? It feels to me that he is calling his team out in a back handed jedi master kinda way.

I'm not sure how to take that comment.

Although I'm not sure what he is saying I like his analytical approach, This rookie coach is OK in my books, I like the cut of his jib, i think he might be a keeper. ;)

He means lacking weight and strong on the puck.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Wimps. Passive criticisms seems to be his way. I think Paul Maurice operates this way as well. Instead of calling them "out of shape" or "poorly prepared" Babcock says "I thought we looked tired and that's my fault for practising them too hard".

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't know, but I'm super happy Phaneuf and Bozak got traded! :laugh:

That day can't come soon enough. I would be more than happy to hold on to JVR, Kadri, Lupul, and Gardiner from the existing core, but those two have to go, no matter what the return is.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Wimps. Passive criticisms seems to be his way. I think Paul Maurice operates this way as well. Instead of calling them "out of shape" or "poorly prepared" Babcock says "I thought we looked tired and that's my fault for practising them too hard".
That's the opposite of true. Babcock is a straightforward guy and his comments are to be taken at face value. Did you ever consider the possibility that maybe he did train them too hard leading up to the game? That's something that happens in the preseason.

hfdshdh

Unregistered Abuser
Jan 11, 2015
Do you guys really think NHL coaches spend time conjuring up cryptic messages to send to their teams via post-game interviews?

I can't help but cringe whenever I read stuff like that on here.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
It isn't a story of legend:
-rich kid's dad buys hockey team then league then scouting service
-rich dad hated my many other hockey dads forced to pay ever-escalating fees
-rich kid gets drafted by NHL team owned by the same person who buys scouting service owned by dad
-rich kid plays at school heavily endowed by his dad
-rich kid is mostly invisible for his first two NCAA seasons almost looking out of place
-rich kid works hard on his skating, gets to play with the best talent at his school as a senior
-rich kid forces a trade from the team that drafted him to his hometown team
-rich kid is given an NHL number (11) before playing a single game

All that yet I've got to admit that this kid has played well. He looks like he can be a 3rd/4th liner this season.

When the rumours started last spring that he was heading our way, i really wanted to dislike this guy based on all of the stuff you mentioned above. However, when I actually saw the guy in interviews, I changed my mind right away. He presents as the nicest guy around! Not only that, while other NHLers are doing all sorts of not-so-nice things in their spare time, this guy writes children's books. You gotta love that. Also, as someone mentioned, he's got a pretty good list of accomplishments. He's got my support!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad