Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Odog takes a shot at Hayes early on during the Brady v Belichick debate...? Maybe I misheard that.

It's funny how quick people forget Belichick sucked as a HC before Brady.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Bob McCown had some useful insights into the business side of Baseball, that's where his wheelhouse began and ended. He didnt know much about how other sports are played beyond typical sports 'journalism' narrative driven crap.

He had great interviews with Alex Anthopoulos.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
When did TSN/SportsCentre become so political? I find it a little uncomfortable watching a sports highlight show spending 7 minutes talking about the U.S. election or BLM. At times I wonder if I have it on the right channel.

the election i agree but BLM? uncomfortable? its a major issue and many many sports have athletes wanting to and willing to use their platform to highlight the issue.

But election i do agree, they shoe horn the election into "and what it could mean for the sports landscape" i like that i turn on sports center to escape the garbage election i have zero control over

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
PTS was really good about 5 + years ago, but when they brought that New Yorker in, even part time, and had Blair hosting more frequently it just went off the rails. Blair’s intolerance, hatred and bigotry is way too ugly for me.
Without any meaningful hockey to discuss I rarely listen to much of anything. It’s a great time to vacation.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When did TSN/SportsCentre become so political? I find it a little uncomfortable watching a sports highlight show spending 7 minutes talking about the U.S. election or BLM. At times I wonder if I have it on the right channel.

In fairness, there's not a lot to talk about in the sports world at the moment.

I actually enjoy listening to them chime in on U.S. politics, social issues and the pandemic.

Reactions: MsMeow

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I get it's all for fun, but it's hilarious and sad how much Overdrive caters to O'Neil's feelings. That trivia was quite embarrassing.

It’s 50% good fun and 50% stop odog being a sour faced goon the rest of the show on mute.

also not just this quiz all of them combined show he is about as smart as a half eaten watermelon. Genuinely surprised he hasn’t said no more of that while off air why show how stupid you are constantly

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not sure where to post this but just curious... anyone know what are the chances of next season starting and when? any news? Its November and I need my hockey fix badly

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Overdrive has gotten really stale. Has Jeff talked about his infatuation with Brandi Love recently? Those were the days.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Overdrive has gotten really stale. Has Jeff talked about his infatuation with Brandi Love recently? Those were the days.
I think they have to talk about hockey to be at their best. I've taken a complete break from Overdrive and sports radio in the last couple of weeks and won't go back until the World Juniors. It's been great! Just music.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think they have to talk about hockey to be at their best. I've taken a complete break from Overdrive and sports radio in the last couple of weeks and won't go back until the World Juniors. It's been great! Just music.
Same I haven't listened in some time. I will start again once the NHL finalizes a plan for the upcoming season, or if there is some big Toronto sports news. It's stale these days

Reactions: Blowfish and Stigma

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

Agreed. The constant talk of their golf is just brutal. The lads are at their best when they’re talking hockey/Brazzers. I haven’t watched in a few months. I wonder if they’ve replaced Jaime yet. Boy oh boy, if they could swap him out for the Tat Man, Overdrive would really be cooking with gasoline. Nobody is able to steam Jeff’s bean quite like Jim, and Brian’s great at riling them both up for battle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stigma

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed. The constant talk of their golf is just brutal. The lads are at their best when they’re talking hockey/Brazzers. I haven’t watched in a few months. I wonder if they’ve replaced Jaime yet. Boy oh boy, if they could swap him out for the Tat Man, Overdrive would really be cooking with gasoline. Nobody is able to steam Jeff’s bean quite like Jim, and Brian’s great at riling them both up for battle.

tat man and Hayes couldn’t do a show together, they are both host guys it would be such a bad dynamic. The other 2 with Hayes (or tat) have to be more equivalent to “colour guys” in broadcasting terms.

My number one pick for overdrive to replace noodles or even odog is mike Johnson he is so good, so knowledgeable on all sports and can be funny and join in on jokes and gags etc. He is wasted by not being on overdrive.

BorntoLose

Nov 4, 2014
Yikes Hayes disconnected players only baby ! some of these nba questions from Noodles though oof struggling

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
Hayes´ set up will die around 6:20 he said. Last half hour, players only.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
tat man and Hayes couldn’t do a show together, they are both host guys it would be such a bad dynamic. The other 2 with Hayes (or tat) have to be more equivalent to “colour guys” in broadcasting terms.

My number one pick for overdrive to replace noodles or even odog is mike Johnson he is so good, so knowledgeable on all sports and can be funny and join in on jokes and gags etc. He is wasted by not being on overdrive.

I see your point on Hayes and The Tat Man both being hosts, but the troika of Brian, Jeff, and the Tat Man just has such terrific chemistry. Respectfully disagree on MJ. Sounds like a robot and isn’t funny. Craig could be a a good replacement for Jaime. I like his fire, and he has adorable curls. Oh well.

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I see your point on Hayes and The Tat Man both being hosts, but the troika of Brian, Jeff, and the Tat Man just has such terrific chemistry. Respectfully disagree on MJ. Sounds like a robot and isn’t funny. Craig could be a a good replacement for Jaime. I like his fire, and he has adorable curls. Oh well.

All good don’t have to agree on who is best. Eg button would be an instant never listen again if he became a permanent member, can’t stand button

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
All good don’t have to agree on who is best. Eg button would be an instant never listen again if he became a permanent member, can’t stand button

Well put. We all have our preferences for co-hosts. I think we can both (seems like 99% of the people in this thread) agree that Jaime isn’t the right fit any longer. Should be interesting how it shakes out. Have a great day.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
MJ is great. Genuine person with a wealth of knowledge. He and Hayes would provide the in depth analysis with Jeff as the comic relief. Intentional or not.

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad