Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
I think he’s brilliant - has flaws, but who the hell doesn’t.

Great voice too.

I think brilliant is pushing it but I've come around a little on him. I used to find his takes extremely obvious with no great insights, but I now respect that he seems to have a wide general knowledge of many different sports, jack of all trades kind of thing. It really helps if he has good guests/co-hosts (to state the obvious).

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
I urge anyone who thinks Hayes is a bad host to listen to sports radio from any other major Canadian market.

Hes arguably the best sports host in Canada right now.
I have the opportunity to listen to the radio while I work, several hours a day. It used to be almost always sports radio from across Canada in the last year there have become only two shows I can stomach if there isn’t a big story breaking. Overdrive is one and Mitch Melnick in Montreal. Melnick can even make Miller, McGuire and Button (instant channel change if one of them appears on 1050) palatable. He’s really good. I’m now listening to almost exclusively podacasts and books on a wide range of subjects, even rediscovering my love of music.
It’s good to take a break from what’s become pretty awful sports radio.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I really don't know what people expect from these guys , there on for entertainment and not to endlessly drone on about stats or pimp the Leafs .

also there's not something interesting hockey related to discuss every day , especially in the off season

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I really don't know what people expect from these guys , there on for entertainment and not to endlessly drone on about stats or pimp the Leafs .

also there's not something interesting hockey related to discuss every day , especially in the off season

Well said. They have to talk about something for a couple of hours whether there's any "news" or not. I'd love to see some of the harsher critics give it a try for a week and see how they fare.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ha, well I suppose I don't really go in with the expectation of learning anything of substance. For whatever reason I still find it generally a more enjoyable listen then Leafs Lunch for example, but that's just me.

I can't say I listen to Leafs lunch either, Andi is like nails on a chalkboard for me

If I'm going to listen to a podcast I want to be informed about the subject I'm listening to, those 3 are wrong and I know they are wrong to damn often

Reactions: Jozay and Budz22

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I urge anyone who thinks Hayes is a bad host to listen to sports radio from any other major Canadian market.

1000% he's the best IMO. I hate the Leafs but listen to Overdrive everyday. That's how good of a host Hayes is. :laugh:

dbr2

Lockout Beard
Mar 12, 2008
NJ
1000% he's the best IMO. I hate the Leafs but listen to Overdrive everyday. That's how good of a host Hayes is. :laugh:
I´m down in Philly. I have no affiliation to the Leafs or Toronto. But, you should hear our garbage radio. We are a top 5 market in America, and our hosts know nothing about hockey. The Flyers could win the Cup and they would talk about the Eagles before the Flyers.

I love Overdrive. I have no problem with Bryan or O loving the Leafs. I respect their transparency. I wish more hosts would own up to their fandom instead of lying about their fandom.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

He’s a really good host who is saddled by two immature anchors. He has potential for so much more. He could be his generation’s Bob MCCown if he ventured off to a serious gig.

Reactions: Budz22 and Walshy7

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So little said about Andi...and that's not a good thing. I do enjoy OD.

upload_2020-11-1_8-13-54.jpeg

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He’s a really good host who is saddled by two immature anchors. He has potential for so much more. He could be his generation’s Bob MCCown if he ventured off to a serious gig.

you could argue that this is the best job available at the moment. The show is entertaining. I think they need to replace Noodles with Mike Johnson. But O'Dog has grown on me. Jeff O'Neill has improved a lot since he's first started and he does provide good insight when he is engaged in the topic.

But Overdrive is a great show, I like that they get off the rails a bit. It's water cooler talk and I commute so listening to them on the radio on the way home is great. They do bring that fan perspective which I respect.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
you could argue that this is the best job available at the moment. The show is entertaining. I think they need to replace Noodles with Mike Johnson. But O'Dog has grown on me. Jeff O'Neill has improved a lot since he's first started and he does provide good insight when he is engaged in the topic.

But Overdrive is a great show, I like that they get off the rails a bit. It's water cooler talk and I commute so listening to them on the radio on the way home is great. They do bring that fan perspective which I respect.

Johnsson 100% needs to replace noodles he is perfect. Not a leaf homer but also not a contrarian for the sake of contrarian. And he knows so much about the other sports when they talk baseball, nfl basketball whatever. Odog and noodles could be actual cardboard cutouts when not talking about hockey.

odog for me his schtick has got old but wouldn’t be bothered if he wasn’t replaced. Noodles could be a once a week call in and perhaps a backup if someone’s sick but he has worn out his welcome on the show for me. He is a major reason I stopped listening, I used to download all the podcast hours and listen through the whole show. Now I’ll listen in the car on the way home from work maybe and I only work 1 week in every 3 now in the office

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Johnsson 100% needs to replace noodles he is perfect. Not a leaf homer but also not a contrarian for the sake of contrarian. And he knows so much about the other sports when they talk baseball, nfl basketball whatever. Odog and noodles could be actual cardboard cutouts when not talking about hockey.

odog for me his schtick has got old but wouldn’t be bothered if he wasn’t replaced. Noodles could be a once a week call in and perhaps a backup if someone’s sick but he has worn out his welcome on the show for me. He is a major reason I stopped listening, I used to download all the podcast hours and listen through the whole show. Now I’ll listen in the car on the way home from work maybe and I only work 1 week in every 3 now in the office

agreed, even Dave Poulin is pretty good. I enjoy listening to Poulin. He’s very knowledgeable about sports all around. ODog just brings that funny variable and his chemistry with Hayes I think is undeniable

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

Noodles need to go. I'm in the same boat as you - used to download every episode. Can't stand listening to Noodles bullshit anymore so I stopped.

Reactions: Walshy7

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Noodles need to go. I'm in the same boat as you - used to download every episode. Can't stand listening to Noodles bullshit anymore so I stopped.

for that to happen, you need to get his boss (wife) to fire him.

DutchHockeyGuy

Mar 8, 2007
I still mourn the end of Prime Time Sports, for many years my companion on morning drives (time difference). I tried Overdrive, but the interviews are predictable and usually not very good. The banter does not appeal to me enough. Writers Block is better, but would be so much better with Bob McCown and is just like Overdrive predictable in opinions and guests. Bob's podcast with John Sssshanon is worth a listen, some good guests. But twice a week half an hour is too short.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I still mourn the end of Prime Time Sports, for many years my companion on morning drives (time difference). I tried Overdrive, but the interviews are predictable and usually not very good. The banter does not appeal to me enough. Writers Block is better, but would be so much better with Bob McCown and is just like Overdrive predictable in opinions and guests. Bob's podcast with John Sssshanon is worth a listen, some good guests. But twice a week half an hour is too short.

Pretty bang on. Bobcat/PTS is sorely missed and OverDrive is complete amateur hour.

Reactions: WWB

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Pretty bang on. Bobcat/PTS is sorely missed and OverDrive is complete amateur hour.
Bobcat was a pompous ass who spewed anti-Leaf crap every opportunity he got. He admitted he hated talking about hockey, despite that being the largest audience. Good riddance to him. Overdrive at the very least is entertaining if not as informative as it should be.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hayes makes it unbearable for me. I don't know what he is like when it comes to other sports, but when it comes to hockey, he is not good enough to be running a panel, never mind a primetime panel. Maybe one day he can replace James Duthie or something, but Duthie does not really share his own opinions and is a lot better at facilitating as well.

All three can be replaced and I could care less.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hayes makes it unbearable for me. I don't know what he is like when it comes to other sports, but when it comes to hockey, he is not good enough to be running a panel, never mind a primetime panel. Maybe one day he can replace James Duthie or something, but Duthie does not really share his own opinions and is a lot better at facilitating as well.

All three can be replaced and I could care less.

really? i only like hayes, Noodles and odog are arrogant asses alot of the time and their opinions even on hockey can get pretty asinine pretty quickly. Alot of the time odogs argument is "well i played in the NHL so..." which is so stupid, Colton Orr "played in the NHL" im not interested in his opinion on Matthews scoring woes or whatever

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
really? i only like hayes, Noodles and odog are arrogant asses alot of the time and their opinions even on hockey can get pretty asinine pretty quickly. Alot of the time odogs argument is "well i played in the NHL so..." which is so stupid, Colton Orr "played in the NHL" im not interested in his opinion on Matthews scoring woes or whatever
Hayes issue is he makes such awful statements when evidence points to the other way. I would keep him over the other 2 easily, but even Hayes I don't like him as much as I did before.

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad