Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Maybe O’Neill doesn’t like his neck tattoo visible on tv? :laugh:

My guess is probably some neck issues and really really doesn’t care for noodles

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Maybe O’Neill doesn’t like his neck tattoo visible on tv? :laugh:

My guess is probably some neck issues and really really doesn’t care for noodles

actually now you mention it he and noodles have said numerous times they really regret their tattoos. And his neck one is extra terrible, you might be onto something there

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
actually now you mention it he and noodles have said numerous times they really regret their tattoos. And his neck one is extra terrible, you might be onto something there
LOL. No offence to anyone who has a neck tattoo, but why? It seems like the most ridiculous impulsive decision to make. Like people who get their ears stretched thinking they're never going to get tired of that look and then have to have expensive surgery to repair them.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

Both don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer, and they come across as guys who were major d-bags and would do something like this when they were younger. That's just my impression.

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Both don't seem to be the sharpest knives in the drawer, and they come across as guys who were major d-bags and would do something like this when they were younger. That's just my impression.

they 100% do, their stories about what they got up to in junior and early NHL careers make them sound like absolute dbags. Especially Jeff his attitudes towards certain things come off as the stereotypical "jock d-bag"

Reactions: OzFlyers

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
I’ve never been a fan of Kristen Shilton. Seems like one of those hires that was force fed. I found her grating on the radio. And listening to her ask questions during intermissions at lightning speed is unbearable.
She was hosting leafs lunch today, and there was no lightning speed speech.
I guess it has something to do with the broadcasting right :popcorn:

donkeyy0

May 31, 2011
Watched the guys from Overdrive spend a half hour just googling goal totals for the guys from Oilers teams in the 80s. Riveting stuff...did you know that Coffey, Messier, Kurri, and Gretzky scored a lot of goals in the 80s?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Watched the guys from Overdrive spend a half hour just googling goal totals for the guys from Oilers teams in the 80s. Riveting stuff...did you know that Coffey, Messier, Kurri, and Gretzky scored a lot of goals in the 80s?

In 100 years, Leafs players have scored 50 goals 5 times.

In the 1980s, Oilers players scored 50 or more goals 15 times.

That just goes to show how unbalanced the talent has been in favour of the Oilers in their history, as well as how workman-like the Leafs have been in history. This has never really been a team of the true superstar- maybe until now with Matthews.

He has the potential to be far and away the best player in franchise history. A franchise over 100 years old.

We are absolutely fortunate to get to witness that from start to (hopefully long from now) finish.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

So sick of this narrative it has been beaten to death. I'm convinced we could have a top 5 d core and people would still say it is trash if we ever allowed 5 goals in a game.

I personally don't think our d core is even in the bottom third of the league. I'd say we are quite average and our d could improve by our forwards making more of an effort.

Reactions: stickty111

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So sick of this narrative it has been beaten to death. I'm convinced we could have a top 5 d core and people would still say it is trash if we ever allowed 5 goals in a game.

I personally don't think our d core is even in the bottom third of the league. I'd say we are quite average and our d could improve by our forwards making more of an effort.
Their defense would also look better with Muzzin instead of Marincin who replaced him while he's injured.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What?

Andersen has a 914sv% and is rolling a 2.70+ GA

He's also been pretty average for a few games now

If that's Conn Smythe worthy I need a redefinition on what you need to do to win the Conn Smythe because that ain't it

in this hypothetical world the leafs won the cup so im assuming they are inferring that in the hypothetical run Andersen stats arent exactly as they are now. Essentially they are saying for the leafs to win the cup Freddy will need a .960 sv% and 1.2 goals against and win the conn smythe. They arent saying current play is worthy at all because regular season doesnt count for the conn smyth.

Edit: are you mixing up conn smyth and vezna?

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
in this hypothetical world the leafs won the cup so im assuming they are inferring that in the hypothetical run Andersen stats arent exactly as they are now. Essentially they are saying for the leafs to win the cup Freddy will need a .960 sv% and 1.2 goals against and win the conn smythe. They arent saying current play is worthy at all because regular season doesnt count for the conn smyth.

Edit: are you mixing up conn smyth and vezna?

I was Walshy, the argument still makes no sense though

Hockey is a game that's so goaltender dependant that if somebody gets on a goaltending roll they have a chance to win the cup, ask Quick and LA, that's always been the case

If we got 920% goaltending we'd have a chance if our underlying numbers under Keefe continue on

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I was Walshy, the argument still makes no sense though

Hockey is a game that's so goaltender dependant that if somebody gets on a goaltending roll they have a chance to win the cup, ask Quick and LA, that's always been the case

If we got 920% goaltending we'd have a chance if our underlying numbers under Keefe continue on
It gets a tad annoying. We play well defensively for 5 games. Nothing. The 1st game we allow 5? Andersen carries the team.
Have these people ever thought allowing 5 isn't always on the team? Shouldn't the goalie get some blame too?
The last game against the Jets is a good example. We didn't give up much but allowed 3 goals. Was it because the team was bad? No it was because Freddy had a tough 1st 2 periods.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It gets a tad annoying. We play well defensively for 5 games. Nothing. The 1st game we allow 5? Andersen carries the team.
Have these people ever thought allowing 5 isn't always on the team? Shouldn't the goalie get some blame too?
The last game against the Jets is a good example. We didn't give up much but allowed 3 goals. Was it because the team was bad? No it was because Freddy had a tough 1st 2 periods.

Andersen is inconsistent, when he's hot he's bloody good, when he's not however.....

We're not great defensively but we're good enough to outscore some problems and do just well enough defensively to win with above average goaltending

Pittsburgh won a cup like that one year, it's not impossible

Reactions: stickty111

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Turned on First up this morning to hear something about "wanting to reincarnate as Marincin since he never dies"... and "Hey Marincin, You suck"

Guess I'll listen to some Spotify instead. Our media is so toxic.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Landsberg needs to keep his politics off the radio. Not sure how he's not reprimanded for that behaviour. I guess sneaking it in at 630 AM it goes undetected.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Turned on First up this morning to hear something about "wanting to reincarnate as Marincin since he never dies"... and "Hey Marincin, You suck"

Guess I'll listen to some Spotify instead. Our media is so toxic.

first up is just the worst. An egomaniac and a high pitched squealing dimwit trying to have hot takes is a recipe for a garbage radio show and low and behold we have "first up"

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Landsberg needs to keep his politics off the radio. Not sure how he's not reprimanded for that behaviour. I guess sneaking it in at 630 AM it goes undetected.
I've noticed that about him too. Pretty insecure behaviour for someone his age. Like he just has to let people know that his way is the right way to think about things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad