Toronto Sports Media Discussion Thread - v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
He was going off on Fox News this morning and how it is not news at all, and a propaganda machine and they only have one motive etc. Like, it was too much. Regardless of how you feel about Fox News and its politics, he should absolutely not be stating his opinion of this as fact on a sports radio station.

He also mentions he watches CNN for about 12 hours a day on average. Aren't those two stations just two different sides of the same coin...

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
How many people are fans of the TSN morning show with Landsberg and Colaiacovo? I didn't seem to mind it at first when Colaiacovo was starting out. He seemed humble at first. There are so many things about the show now that bug me. First off, I find Landsberg insufferable. His constant praising of Carlo needs to stop. Colaiacovo was not Bobby Orr although Landsberg wants us to believe he was. In fact, Carlo loves to toot his own horn every chance he gets. There are way too many commercials on this show. I have had it with Landsberg talking about 5 hour energy all the time and expecting us to believe he does not get paid for it. I prefer Overdrive for sure. At least they talk about hockey most of the time and not where Landsberg is going for his next speech or where Colaiacovo went to school. I have now decided to switch to Sirius NHL in the morning. Any thoughts?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed, that show is horrible. Listened to it a couple of times, never again. When I want to listen to sports radio on my drive to work (around 6AM) I listen to Lead Off with Ashley, Ziggy and Scotty Mac, they're not bad at all IMO.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Landsberg has always been horrible, mostly because he brings himself into every single situation. A good interviewer or host should be talking about subjects other than themselves. As much as I hate Jian Ghomeshi and the things he did, he was a fantastic interviewer. Rarely brought himself or his experiences into a conversation with whoever he was talking to, unlike say, Strombo who thinks he's as important as the interviewee. The same can be said about Petrillo who constantly talks about herself. Nobody cares about them!

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Agreed, that show is horrible. Listened to it a couple of times, never again. When I want to listen to sports radio on my drive to work (around 6AM) I listen to Lead Off with Ashley, Ziggy and Scotty Mac, they're not bad at all IMO.

Podcast of Overdrive from the day before was my go to when I had a commute. Unless your just looking for the information from the night before (after 7pm).

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
He was going off on Fox News this morning and how it is not news at all, and a propaganda machine and they only have one motive etc. Like, it was too much. Regardless of how you feel about Fox News and its politics, he should absolutely not be stating his opinion of this as fact on a sports radio station.

He also mentions he watches CNN for about 12 hours a day on average. Aren't those two stations just two different sides of the same coin...
No.

You’re thinking of MSNBC that is polar opposite of FOX.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No.

You’re thinking of MSNBC that is polar opposite of FOX.
CNN is supposed to be centerist, but with how polarized media has become over the past 10 years, and Cable News basically devolving into infotainment (basically, choose which spin on the news you want, and what you want covered, rather than objective reporting), it comes across as left-leaning due to how far to the right other outlets have shifted. People getting their news from Twitter, Facebook and whatever youtube channel they like has created an even further divide in how people choose to receive news.

Either way, I listen to sports radio to not here about the insanity going on in the world. If I want actual information on things like Iran, Impeachment, etc, I'll try to read something objective like NYT, WSJ, Financial Times, The Globe and Mail, or respected think tanks. I don't really care what Michael Landsberg take on the news is.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
CNN is supposed to be centerist, but with how polarized media has become over the past 10 years, and Cable News basically devolving into infotainment (basically, choose which spin on the news you want, and what you want covered, rather than objective reporting), it comes across as left-leaning due to how far to the right other outlets have shifted. People getting their news from Twitter, Facebook and whatever youtube channel they like has created an even further divide in how people choose to receive news.

Either way, I listen to sports radio to not here about the insanity going on in the world. If I want actual information on things like Iran, Impeachment, etc, I'll try to read something objective like NYT, WSJ, Financial Times, The Globe and Mail, or respected think tanks. I don't really care what Michael Landsberg take on the news is.

I don't think any news source is unbiased with Trump in power, even straight news story's seem to have the writers particular bias woven into them now

I think your wrong about cable news though, Fox is right, MSNBC is far left and CNN is the orange man bad network, they aren't viewed as left because everybody else went right, there just left and don't even pretend to be a straight down the line news source any longer

I don't even bother with them now, I just listen to people I like from both perspectives, take what they say with a gigantic pinch of salt and refuse to listen to "sports journalists" who get into politics

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
One benefit of being on the left coast is I’m fast asleep while clowns like landsberg are on air. overdrive is my midday show and the leafs are early evening viewing leaving me the rest of the night

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I know this is out of city but whoever does the colour (is it Gary Galley?) For habs games is horrible. He never shuts up and let's randorph call the game.

Just something bothering me while I watch Chicago beat les habbies.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan

That’s insane. No one should watch that much TV in one day, let alone CNN.

He needs to talk to his therapist.
That’s not healthy.

Reactions: MsMeow

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I totally forgot about the Landsberg morning show and how awful it was. Whats bizarre is that that time slot is reserved for the stations best hosts. The most sought after time slot in the industry is the morning commute show, followed by the afternoon commute show. I havent seen the ratings myself but I strongly doubt Landsbergs ratings are doing that well. Keep in mind, he was kicked off tv. That's a demotion. Hopefully TSN will at least demote him again.

Leafsforever89

Apr 22, 2017
Why does Carlo have to be on Overdrive today:shakehead:
He is on way too much and has become very annoying with his BANG and WHAT! and the fact that he has no knowledge of basic facts and historical events outside of hockey. He also cannot pronounce words that end in ING like speaking for example. He pronounces the G at the end. Ridiculous.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I was happy that Patrick Kane didn't score his 1000th point against Toronto, because you know Hughson would have loved seeing that and wouldn't stop talking about for most of the game.
On a European feed I once heard Hughson joking (on a break) that we'd build Matthews a statue for his 4 goal debut while Simpson snickered in the background.

Reactions: OddyOh

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
On a European feed I once heard Hughson joking (on a break) that we'd build Matthews a statue for his 4 goal debut while Simpson snickered in the background.
That's not the first time I heard someone mention hearing similar comments like that when watching a game from Europe. I believe it was when Glenn Healy referred to Legends Row as "Losers Row."

Reactions: OddyOh

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
That's not the first time I heard someone mention hearing similar comments like that when watching a game from Europe. I believe it was when Glenn Healy referred to Legends Row as "Losers Row."
Wow. These guys are true
Professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->