Confirmed Signing with Link: Toronto re-signs Connor Carrick, 1 year worth $1.3 million

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's less about Carrick playing and more about Polak not playing. Carrick could be any generic bottom pairing defenseman and that stat would be pretty much the same.

100%, but Carrick isn't bad either.

I wanted him to draw into the Bruins series so badly, our right side was getting eating alive because they can't handle a simple play out of the zone.

It was almost like, and to a lesser degree obviously because he's not as good, when Schmidt drew in for Alzner in the series against the Caps, it was a huge change to the back end and we couldn't exploit Alzner at will.

MajorLeafsFan

Jul 19, 2017
he sucks defensively and trys to play with an edge
But that's EXACTLY what we need (said with as much sarcasm as I can muster). Really though I'm not surprised Dubas signed Carrick, but for a guy who played 47 games this past season (which is far more than I thought he played), I think they expect him to play the majority of the season this year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
But that's EXACTLY what we need (said with as much sarcasm as I can muster). Really though I'm not surprised Dubas signed Carrick, but for a guy who played 47 games this past season (which is far more than I thought he played), I think they expect him to play the majority of the season this year.
i really thought carrick wasn't gonna be qualified, let alone re-signed

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Don't listen to anyone that says he's bad or useless. Guy two seasons ago was a decent 2nd pair defenseman beside Gardiner, and was great when Babcock let him play on the 3rd pairing last season. It's funny that Babs doesn't trust him, but trusts a guy like Polak who needed to be carried (and I mean carried) by the rookie named Dermott. He has proven chemistry beside both Dermott and Gardiner, and always is on the ice for more shot attempts/chances/goals for than against.

He's just not liked by some Leaf fans because he loses puck battles and his offense isn't nearly as good as it was that one playoff run for the Marlies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I am on board with this, if Carrick means no more Polak/Marincin...then i say he's already a Norris candidate!!

What'd Marincin ever do to you!?!?!

Seriously though, I'm rooting for the guy to be great for another team. I know he has it in him.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
What'd Marincin ever do to you!?!?!

Seriously though, I'm rooting for the guy to be great for another team. I know he has it in him.
Really? He has to be the worst defenceman I have ever seen. So many unforced giveaways leading to A 1 scoring opportunities for the opposition. He's an AHL defenceman at best.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Really? He has to be the worst defenceman I have ever seen. So many unforced giveaways leading to A 1 scoring opportunities for the opposition. He's an AHL defenceman at best.

Not trying to get off the topic of Carrick, but Marincin has always been a good defensive NHL defenseman. Sure he has terrible turnovers at terrible times, but I think people don't realize that guys of his elk (Hjalmarsson) are not very good with the puck either.

When he's on the ice, the team gives up far less shot attempts/chances/goals and it's plain to see it's not coincidence, competition, or zone starts. He's just legit plus at defense.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I'm completely whelmed.

Carrick is fine as a bottom pairing option. I think he has it in him to be a second pairing guy, but I really don't think that he's going to get that opportunity on the Leafs. He's the kind of guy who is going to need to get thrown into a top4 role on a weak team and struggle through big minutes until he finally develops those top4 skills and consistency. The Leafs aren't interested in giving him minutes that he will struggle in. If he stays on the Leafs I believe he can be a capable third pairing guy, that's pretty much what he's done for us already, but I don't see him taking any big steps forwards. As a third pairing guy, I don't think he holds a whole ton of value, but I'll happily watch him play decent hockey 16 minutes a night.

It will be tight competition for the 3rd RHD and pressbox RHD spots this camp. With Carrick and Ozhiganov under contract, plus any RHD additions this summer and a few Marlies, the Leafs have good bottom pairing + fringe depth.

This past season Marincin played 2 games for the Leafs before they sent him back to the Marlies. So hopefully they don't qualify him and he becomes a UFA.

I'm praying for the day he signs in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad