Confirmed Signing with Link: Toronto re-signs Connor Carrick, 1 year worth $1.3 million

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He was acceptable during the rebuild process.

The last two seasons haven't been great. As a fan, it stings more, because they're ELC years for the core and there was potential to be better than they were or at least set themselves up for the future.

It's difficult to say without knowing what options were out there. I mean the UFA classes were weak outside of Stamkos, so overpaying for a marginal free agent for 6-7 years would of done more bad than good. Also unloading the farm in a trade for a player may not have been the best move either, especially considering last year we squeaked into the PO in the last game. This year maybe, but majority of our fans wanted to trade off JVR/Bozak for futures - so I can only imagine the fan backlash if had traded for McDonagh and went all in.

Re: Setting them up for the future -- I think he made the right call on keeping the vets, letting them take a run in the post season, keeping the younger guys down and letting them win a Calder. Lots of experience and the two teams have another

I'm just not sure what he could've done to push the Leafs over the top without completely f***ing up our cap situation in the future, or sucking dry our farm system. I'd give him a healthy 7/10, didn't go above and beyond, but didn't f*** us either.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
So are you saying it was 100% Lamoriello's decision to re-sign Polak last October and not Babcock's which was originally thought?

Not sure about that.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that this team went into training camp without making any sort of defensive upgrade.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Overreact much? Maybe grow up a bit and back up your little hissy fit with some facts. Not just "my opinion" ******** Its only 1 year and 1.3 million, stop stressing out. You want to throw a fit? wait till they re-sign Polak, then you and I and pretty much every other Leaf fan will throw one too.

You'll be singing a different tune in October assuming he's in the starting lineup

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
It's difficult to say without knowing what options were out there. I mean the UFA classes were weak outside of Stamkos, so overpaying for a marginal free agent for 6-7 years would of done more bad than good. Also unloading the farm in a trade for a player may not have been the best move either, especially considering last year we squeaked into the PO in the last game. This year maybe, but majority of our fans wanted to trade off JVR/Bozak for futures - so I can only imagine the fan backlash if had traded for McDonagh and went all in.

Re: Setting them up for the future -- I think he made the right call on keeping the vets, letting them take a run in the post season, keeping the younger guys down and letting them win a Calder.

I'm just not sure what he could've done to push the Leafs over the top without completely ****ing up our cap situation in the future, or sucking dry our farm system.

I'm not talking about signing free agents. I don't think that's usually a good idea unless you're targeting someone who's a superstar or who's undervalued. I would never judge Lamoriello by UFA signings.

I'm not asking for a superstar trade either.

But here's a list of players traded in 17-18 and their cost. Think about whether any of these guys would have helped them.

• Marco Scandella - acquired in what is essentially a cap dump deal for Minnesota.
  • Colin Wilson - 4th rounder
  • Marcus Johansson - 2nd and 3rd round
  • Jason Demers - Jamie McGinn. * because Demers had trade protection.
  • Sami Vatanen - Adam Henrique. There were rumours last summer that Anaheim really valued Connor Brown. Vatanen did a fine job on NJ's first pair, BTW.
  • Jamie Oleksiak - conditional 4th round pick
  • Michal Kempny - conditional 3rd round pick
  • Ian Cole - 3rd round pick
I'm not saying that all these players should have been acquired. But there is some decent value to be had on this list and it was mostly acquired very cheaply and the leafs are nowhere to be found on this transaction list.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
You'll be singing a different tune in October assuming he's in the starting lineup
If hes in the lineup I wont be singing a tune like the one youre singing. I know that its a 1 year deal and then who knows what happens after that. You gotta relax. Its not like they signed him to a Jeff Finger kinda deal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If hes in the lineup I wont be singing a tune like the one youre singing. I know that its a 1 year deal and then who knows what happens after that. You gotta relax. Its not like they signed him to a Jeff Finger kinda deal.

My problem isn't the money or the term my issue is he sucks, you could get Polak back for what you paid Carrick I don't want Polak back either regardless of the term or price

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
So are you saying it was 100% Lamoriello's decision to re-sign Polak last October and not Babcock's which was originally thought?
Whatever the case, it was Babcock filling out the lineup card with Polak's name on it, and banishing Carrick to the press box.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Whatever the case, it was Babcock filling out the lineup card with Polak's name on it, and banishing Carrick to the press box.

He'd only have 2 PKing defencemen if he didn't slot Polak into the lineup.

I really don't think he had a choice here.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
He is a decent player. His size is a little concerning, and sometimes he gets exploited by it, as he doesn't have to strength in the corners to contain big wingers. Carrick has alot of good tools, he just was really lacking confidence last season because he only made it into 47 games. Just on again, off again, which makes it tough to get in a rythym. I'm not 100% sold on Carrick, but I'd like to see him get an honest shot at the bottom pair and play a consistent stretch of games next season before he gets written off.
Jesus. Corrado 2.0. He only played 47 games because he sucks.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I'm not sure how to feel about this one. Carrick is an NHL quality player I just don't see him fitting in with the current D core. I like him as a 7th Dman but hope he isn't penciled in as the bottom pairing RD

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
I actually watch games
Congratulations you watch games. A lot of us probably question what games you're watching cause right now you're just ********ing up a storm.

You've been asked for proof but you turtle and dont provide anything. You say he sucks, try and be a little specific and not so foolish. What does he "suck" at in his game.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Not a Fan of Carrick at all he has good moment with the leafs but he has more poor / bad moment than good . I wouldn't mind rolling the dice with him for 1.3 at 1 season i think its an okay deal kinda wish he walked or traded him for a late round pick but 1.3 m is nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad