Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
In my opinion, if Gardiner-Franson pick up where they left off in the post-season, they will be seeing top pairing minutes by November/December. This will put Dion-Gunner as paring number two, and Ranger-Fraser as paring number 3. This sets up the perfect scenario for Nonis. Dion can't demand a raise playing a less important role, and therefore he gets traded at the deadline, with Liles/Ranger taking over for him in that number 3 spot, with Clarkson getting the C. I also feel like Kulemin will be looking for a raise, and Raymond more than makes up for his absence, so I could see a Dion/Kule package at the deadline for a late 1st and young dynamic winger/center from a contender.
I could see Colorado being interested with a guy like O'Reilly coming back the other way.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Good to have him under contract and at a cap friendly deal to boot.

Nonis gets an A+ for his contracts with RFA players Kadri and Franson.

Tremendous bang for your cap buck as contribution >> cap hit.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In my opinion, if Gardiner-Franson pick up where they left off in the post-season, they will be seeing top pairing minutes by November/December. This will put Dion-Gunner as paring number two, and Ranger-Fraser as paring number 3. This sets up the perfect scenario for Nonis. Dion can't demand a raise playing a less important role, and therefore he gets traded at the deadline, with Liles/Ranger taking over for him in that number 3 spot, with Clarkson getting the C. I also feel like Kulemin will be looking for a raise, and Raymond more than makes up for his absence, so I could see a Dion/Kule package at the deadline for a late 1st and young dynamic winger/center from a contender.
I could see Colorado being interested with a guy like O'Reilly coming back the other way.

So Colorado is somehow a contender but Toronto isn't?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
You guys remember that time Nonis mismanaged our cap?

I was wondering where those professionals went.

Almost like Nonis had a plan all along.

Sigh.. it's too easy isn't it? This was always going to be the outcome, at no point was there any cause for concern. Silliness. Franson missed at bit more of training camp then we might of hoped for. That's the net damage.

Good job done by Nonis et all of managing the cap. Had a plan, executed it, and that they got Raymond in as well is a coup. I guess he finally bookmarked capgeek so he could keep up with us here huh? :laugh:

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Dion,Gunnar,Gardiner,Ranger, Franson are locks. One spot left.

Brennan,Fraser,Liles,Reilly

Tough choice, I like what each guy brings to the team..

As much as I think Rielly is capable, I'd take Fraser.

If Liles can remain as our 7th D, then great. If not, waive him, give him top line minutes in the AHL, and let him prove he's still an NHL calibre player.

Leafsin2014*

Dion,Gunnar,Gardiner,Ranger, Franson are locks. One spot left.

Brennan,Fraser,Liles,Reilly

Tough choice, I like what each guy brings to the team..

Fraser and Liles will be kept, easy.

As per Nonis' pre-season press, he made it clear guy(s) would be shuttled back and forth to the AHL to clear cap room (on off days, not necessarily to play games). The only one that will be doing that is Liles because he won't be grabbed on waivers (and he'll save a considerable amount).

For forwards, this is why Colbourne makes the team as the 13th, he's not waiver exempt. There are no other forwards we can send back and forth without losing on waivers.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
To enter the season over the salary cap?

That plan's succeeded all right.

If they manage to trade Liles without retaining salary I'll retract my criticism but I can't say I'm enamoured with how Nonis has managed the cap thus far.

edit: Hopefully this means Reilly's going back west. I'm shocked and appalled so many are in favour of keeping him here, it's like they've never heard of Gary Nylund, Luke Richardson, Jim Benning, Bob McGill, Al Iafrate, Luke Schenn, etc.

Good God, can you be any more dramatic? Besides, you don't make these types of decisions solely based on experiences with OTHER people. No two people are exactly the same so they should be treated on an individual basis. If Reilly is able to absorb and learn at the NHL level AND is not at an overwhelming physical disadvantage then he has earned his place to stay IMO.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He can't handle 2nd line with the scorers cause of his stone hands, he should only be getting Mason Raymond type money. Mason Raymond's, Brenden Morrow's, Nik Kulemin's can be had CHEAP now'a'days...

I like Kulemin but he's the most expendable forward in the top 9 and if a forward has to go it will most likely be him.

That being said, I prefer him in the line-up over any of our AHL crop although Ashton is close to being able to bring what Kule brings

Kulemin won't be getting 3 minutes a game on the PP, and will likely, again this year, face the toughest competition.

I think he could be traded before the deadline.

You can't have a $4 million a year player on the 3rd. line, same with Bolland.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wonder how all the Nonis bashers feel now that he signed Kadri Franson Raymond and Ranger to steal cap hits.

That is how a good GM attempts to assemble a winning competitive team in a Cap World by extracting top value for the least amount of cap usage.

Standing ovation :bow:

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Thrilled with this, was really worried he'd be moved. Franson or Liles for cap reasons? Yeah, I'll take Franson every damn time.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
We have some killer depth on the back end now. It's too bad Rielly will end up back in the WHL this year.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Good to have him under contract and at a cap friendly deal to boot.

Nonis gets an A+ for his contracts with RFA players Kadri and Franson.

Tremendous bang for your cap buck as contribution >> cap hit.

Except they are incredibly short, which means they'll likely do the opposite of what you said smart GMs do.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
He can't handle 2nd line with the scorers cause of his stone hands, he should only be getting Mason Raymond type money. Mason Raymond's, Brenden Morrow's, Nik Kulemin's can be had CHEAP now'a'days...

Did you just compare Kulemin to Morrow and Raymond?

Raymond's situation is completely unique. A young-ish player who had an outing with his former team and was affected by the cap. Morrow is in his twilight years.

I don't understand why posters think he'll be getting a raise on his next contract. He is very useful in the 2-2.5 range. Right now, 2.8 is nothing to cry about.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Did you just compare Kulemin to Morrow and Raymond?

Raymond's situation is completely unique. A young-ish player who had an outing with his former team and was affected by the cap. Morrow is in his twilight years.

I don't understand why posters think he'll be getting a raise on his next contract. He is very useful in the 2-2.5 range. Right now, 2.8 is nothing to cry about.

Oh, I don't think he'll get 5.25 a season, even though he did score more points than Clarkson did at even strength this year. Give Kulemin 3+ minutes a night on the PP and he'll score more.

That isn't the role he gets in Toronto though.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
If only Bozie and Clarky weren't overpaid everything would of been so nice this off-season.

Bozak is far from overpaid. He's actually getting fair value. (Comparables being guys like Mike Fisher.)

Khobahi

Feb 13, 2013
Canada
If only Bozie and Clarky weren't overpaid everything would of been so nice this off-season.

I wish people would stop saying this.....
Bozak contract is completely fine.
Only problem with Clarkson's contract is length....

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Only 2 million? jesus Nonis is a wizard.... fantastic news to wake up to. Although I actually think Nonis was very stupid with pushing 2 years for Franson as that would have put him into UFA whereas next year he's still a RFA.

Just checked capgeek and saw that the Leafs are only 200k over the cap with 2 extra forwards and 1 extra D... can anyone confirm if that's correct? I thought the Leafs said they would barely have room for 1 extra player?

edit: just remembered Clarkson suspension so more like 1 extra forward + 1 extra D... either way thats pretty good

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Very glad that Franson is back. Makes our PP more dangerous and hopefully Franson continues his upward trend. So many d men who can move the puck out of the zone.

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Franson-Gardiner
Rielly-Ranger
Fraser

Think Rielly will get his 9 games and go back to junior, afterwards would get replaced by Fraser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad