Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

Leafsin2014*

I think that Ranger makes Fraser expendable ....he is strong physically and has a lot more skill. Fraser's injury is going to prevent him from fighting....he will limit this activity.

Yeah, Ranger really made Fraser look expendable out there. Fraser also showed he can't fight anymore didn't he, funny how people just completely make up these theories. Shows how ridiculous all these preseason posts are always dumping all our tough players when everyone makes their fantasy lineups.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I think he will finally prove himself as a tremendous #3 guy this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get approx 4-5 mil if he can rack up points while being good defensively/physical again.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Boy oh boy, Cody Franson logging 2nd most ice time of any player on the ice opening night. Big surprise. Actually, not that surprised at all.

Is that conjecture? You wanted facts, sure, you didn't like the playoff facts, have some regular season ones.

Second only to Phaneuf with 27.01, his new partner.

I don't see any injuries either to any Leafs. Seams like a full lineup. Hmm..

He was excellent tonight in all 3 zones, and looks like Gunnar got the boot.

Looking like a steal at 1 year, 2 mil. pffft.

Good job Nonis.

Last edited by a moderator:

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Me thinks Franson will be getting a raise next year…

Hopefully we don't go through all that this time and lock him up multi year. Right handed shot with his all around size and skill hard to find.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, Ranger really made Fraser look expendable out there. Fraser also showed he can't fight anymore didn't he, funny how people just completely make up these theories. Shows how ridiculous all these preseason posts are always dumping all our tough players when everyone makes their fantasy lineups.

Fraser knows what he needs to do and how to play to keep his job, so that's what he did. He brings that toughness that Carlyle likes. If he didn't or couldn't do that anymore, then Rielly might as well play and Fraser certainly knows that.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Me thinks Franson will be getting a raise next year…

Hopefully we don't go through all that this time and lock him up multi year. Right handed shot with his all around size and skill hard to find.

You aren't really going out on a limb by saying he is getting a raise next year. He got one this year and wanted the one year contract so he could get one next year.

You might want to use more than one game as your basis in fact considering the majority of people were asking to see a full season of Franson being good instead of half a season. No one said he was a bad defenseman, he hasn't proved anything though and still hasn't. If he ever wants to be a complete player he needs to work on the PK and not just rack up time on the PP

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
$2 mil for this guy is total robbery, he was our best overall dman last night.
I hope Nonis rewards him with a long term deal.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
$2 mil for this guy is total robbery, he was our best overall dman last night.
I hope Nonis rewards him with a long term deal.

After one game? I don't doubt that he will get his deal if he plays like this all season but that's like expecting the Leafs to win the cup because they won last night. People need to temper expectations.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They should move Phaneuf now with Franson signed.

Phaneuf isn't going to get any better, and his contract will hinder the Leafs ability to re-sign Franson.

This should prove to be an interesting year. If Franson can put up similar points and bring his effective minutes up I could see Phaneuf moving on.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
They should move Phaneuf now with Franson signed.

Phaneuf isn't going to get any better, and his contract will hinder the Leafs ability to re-sign Franson.

It would be incredibly tough to move your captain and probably best overall defenseman in a season where the Leafs want to go back to the post-season and have another strong year.

I think he either re-signs or walks. Perhaps a small chance he's move at the draft for a minimal package to a team that wants his rights. I just can't see him move before the trading deadline for a package that will make us as good in the present.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This should prove to be an interesting year. If Franson can put up similar points and bring his effective minutes up I could see Phaneuf moving on.

or more likely, they'll have finally found Phaneuf a legit partner.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I don't think Phaneuf has the conditioning to be over a 25 minute man anymore. He looked absolutely gassed tonight playing 27:01 last night (Fraser's fault for being in the box for 12 minutes last night). It was nice to see Franson on the PK with Fraser. I am hoping we can rely more on these two for the PK to give Phaneuf some much needed rest.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013

How did he show he can't fight any longer? By fighting twice?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
or more likely, they'll have finally found Phaneuf a legit partner.

I'm a little concerned with the mobility for that pair. Phaneuf can skate fast in a straight line but is a little bit lacking side to side. Franson is just a slow skater.

I'd much rather see them on different pairings with mobile partners, but that's me.

Franson looked good last night on a defense that was having trouble looking good for most of the night. Gunnarsson was solid too I thought.

Glad Franson signed. Hopefully he keeps up his performance from last year and we'll have a good one on our hands.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I'm a little concerned with the mobility for that pair. Phaneuf can skate fast in a straight line but is a little bit lacking side to side. Franson is just a slow skater.

I'd much rather see them on different pairings with mobile partners, but that's me.

Franson looked good last night on a defense that was having trouble looking good for most of the night. Gunnarsson was solid too I thought.

Glad Franson signed. Hopefully he keeps up his performance from last year and we'll have a good one on our hands.

I'm not seeing the Franson 'slow skater' bit. If you're expecting him to take short powerful strides like our skilled forwards, then he isn't that guy but he does take long strides which may create the illusion of 'slow'.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, I hear you but really Gunnar isn't all that more mobile than Franson. I'm not sure Franson is ideal just a better option currently.

I still believe Gunnar to be the weakest link and look forward to him moving down the lineup to a more suited role

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not seeing the Franson 'slow skater' bit. If you're expecting him to take short powerful strides like our skilled forwards, then he isn't that guy but he does take long strides which may create the illusion of 'slow'.

Yes, definitely a difference between quick and fast.

Let's not forget Franson just signed and this was his 3rd. game compared to full preseason games for some others.

The other night, preseason, Franson looked like he was skating in quicksand, but that was either his 1st. or 2nd. game ... can't remember which one.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yeah, I hear you but really Gunnar isn't all that more mobile than Franson. I'm not sure Franson is ideal just a better option currently.

I still believe Gunnar to be the weakest link and look forward to him moving down the lineup to a more suited role

Yes, have to disagree with you here.

I think Gunnarsson has been the best option there, and haven't really seen anyone who has been better. Franson being a right handed shot, and moving Phaneuf over might help Phaneuf's game though.

That isn't about Gunnarsson it is about covering up for Phaneuf's brain farts.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Well he's certainly not slow to the point where it severely hurts his game, but he could stand to improve in that area for sure. He has long strides which help, but skating isn't a strength of his.

I think an ideal partner for Phaneuf would be someone with more mobility (particularly side-to-side to compensate a bit for Dion), but I'm not trying to complain about Franson. I think he's great but I also think we'll see too many forwards getting around that pair. But hey, I've been wrong before.

I like Gunnar but he's more of a #4 type guy I think. Solid defensively - much more so than he gets credit for. I like his combination of defensive dedication and yet ability to do something useful with the puck.

Gunnar isn't much faster than Franson but I think he's more a fluid skater and compliments Phaneuf better because of it. But I don't know - it would be interesting to see Phaneuf/Franson and Gardiner/Gunnarsson for a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad