Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
the Nonis-coaster will continue...

1. Signs Clarkson - Fire Nonis!

2. Gets Kadri at 2.9 - All hail Nonis!

3. Franson hold out - Fire Nonis!

4. Gets Franson at 2.0 - All hail Nonis!

Gee, I wonder what will happen when people see the trade we make to get under the cap...

All hail fire Nonis!

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Demoting Liles is the easiest move to make, and would make the team cap compliant.

I doubt they're worried about losing him to waivers.

How about Liles for Mattias Ohlund?

Last edited:

Leafsin2014*

If you want to give Rielly a 9 game try out you can always waiver Fraser who has had a bad camp

I stopped reading after your first sentence because you're playing fantasy here, Fraser will never, ever be waived. We don't give away players.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Love the deal but I guess it removes the chances of MacWilliam, Brennan, and Rielly to make the team. We have to be salary compliant and were 210,000$ over I believe.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
Anyone who knows anything about the NHL knows the cap went down this year. Lots of players "caving" on dollars & term to keep their job (i.e. Franson). Bonified NHLers on PTOs (i.e. Raymond - a player that was said might not make the Leafs because we have two fringe NHLers/AHLers that "deserve the spot" on this very board)

Whereas if the cap was where it was last year, teams would have the flexibility to take a chance on some players instead of letting them come to their camps on a try out and potentially sign with another team if they do a good job.

Just to note: we know this isin't just a "MAPLE LEAFS" issue, it's league wide issue boys. League wide. Every team is feeling the crunch. Some of us sound silly when we make it sound like it's a Leafs issue only.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Anyone who knows anything about the NHL knows the cap went down this year. Lots of players "caving" on dollars & term to keep their job (i.e. Franson). Bonified NHLers on PTOs (i.e. Raymond - a player that was said might not make the Leafs because we have two fringe NHLers/AHLers that "deserve the spot" on this very board)

Whereas if the cap was where it was last year, teams would have the flexibility to take a chance on some players instead of letting them come to their camps on a try out and potentially sign with another team if they do a good job.

Just to note: we know this isin't just a "MAPLE LEAFS" issue, it's league wide issue boys. League wide. Every team is feeling the crunch. Some of us sound silly when we make it sound like it's a Leafs issue only.

The best part is the way Nonis deals with it. And luckily the guys we've had to do deals with when it came to the crunch, were RFAs. So it was either get paid what we say or get lost.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I'm still waiting on the Nonis is a genius threads for being able to sign Raymond, Kadri and Franson

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008

Other teams are dealing with it but have built flexibility into their lineups. Boston will put Savard on LTR, Philly will put Pronger on LTR. The Leafs have no such avenues. Demoting Liles will only save 900k on the cap, which will make them compliant, but will leave them with almost no flexibility. Something a lot of people seem to miss is that you need cap room to take into account injuries, suspensions, further acquisitions. The Leafs have no such flexibility.

It makes one question the competency of the Leafs upper office. They entered the offseason with 25 million in cap space. And they blew it. tHey made some nice moves (Komi, Bolland, Clarkson) but also some terrible ones (Schmozak, Fraser, Orr/Mclaren, etc).

That other teams have similar problems is not an excuse. You learn from the mistakes of others. If you can't do that, you do deserve the job. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs play some games with less than a full roster.

But Nonis is a genius because... some people on this board say so and have blind faith in the man despite having done little to justify it.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Other teams are dealing with it but have built flexibility into their lineups. Boston will put Savard on LTR, Philly will put Pronger on LTR. The Leafs have no such avenues. Demoting Liles will only save 900k on the cap, which will make them compliant, but will leave them with almost no flexibility. Something a lot of people seem to miss is that you need cap room to take into account injuries, suspensions, further acquisitions. The Leafs have no such flexibility.

It makes one question the competency of the Leafs upper office. They entered the offseason with 25 million in cap space. And they blew it. tHey made some nice moves (Komi, Bolland, Clarkson) but also some terrible ones (Schmozak, Fraser, Orr/Mclaren, etc).

That other teams have similar problems is not an excuse. You learn from the mistakes of others. If you can't do that, you do deserve the job. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Leafs play some games with less than a full roster.

But Nonis is a genius because... some people on this board say so and have blind faith in the man despite having done little to justify it.

Nonis has managed the cap in a way that allowed us to make two big trades, sign the top available free agent, resign all of our RFA and UFA and you have a problem?

You do not like Bozak....we get that. He is paid as a number two center not as a number one center. Bozak has managed to be the center for both of Kessels best seasons as well as Lupul and JVR best seasons.

If you do not understand the need for Orr etc and players of his ilk....you never will and trying to explain it to you would be a waste of time....I will simply say, that we would not have made the playoffs last year without them.

The Leafs will have enough flexibility to make all the moves necessary, I will remind you that the season has not started as well as the need to create cap space to give us flexibility is not required until we need it.

One more item that you and others seems to forget......Nonis had to clean up the mess that was left to him by Burke. Liles still needs to go but we lacked enough get out of jail free cards. As well as Armstrong buy out.

We signed our new addition ....Raymond, Mason.

Resigning Kadri and Franson was though impossible without trading someone.....well that was proven wrong.

We are in great shape.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Other teams are dealing with it but have built flexibility into their lineups. Boston will put Savard on LTR, Philly will put Pronger on LTR.

Boston and Philly didn't BUILD anything. They have flexibility because those two players are injured and will never play again. Those massive contracts were both signed before the CBA changed, and the B's and Flyers are lucky they don't have to scramble to get under the cap. Bad luck that both players can't play, as they both could contribute, but good luck because those massive contracts aren't a millstone.

Leafsin2014*

Bozak was a terrible move. <yawn>
Fraser, Orr, McLaren were terrible moves. <yawn>
Nonis will never be able to sign Kadri and Franson. <yawn>
Nonis cannot sign Raymond because he bumbled the cap. <yawn>

Now the Leafs are in big trouble because they have no flexibility. Whatever, don't give yourself an ulcer.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Bozak was the only bad move but then again there was nobody else available. So was it really that bad? In the end Nonis still managed to get er done. Hail Nonis!

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The only options outside of Bozak were either paying Weiss enough to stay out of Detroit, which would have probably taken close to 6 million, keep Grabovski at 5.5, or some unknown blockbuster trade.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Bozak was the only bad move but then again there was nobody else available. So was it really that bad? In the end Nonis still managed to get er done. Hail Nonis!

Weiss 4.9 mill x 5 years
Bozak 4.2 mill x 5 years

It would of meant we couldn't sign McLaren, but I think Weiss is a bigger upgrade on Bozak that we realize.

It still baffles me how Bozak had an over point per game winger on his right, and a 0.66 point per game player on his left and somehow managed to get below .6 points per game.

Year before that baffles me even more, he was between 2 point per game wingers and somehow didn't score 50 points.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Weiss 4.9 mill x 5 years
Bozak 4.2 mill x 5 years

It would of meant we couldn't sign McLaren, but I think Weiss is a bigger upgrade on Bozak that we realize.

It still baffles me how Bozak had an over point per game winger on his right, and a 0.66 point per game player on his left and somehow managed to get below .6 points per game.

Year before that baffles me even more, he was between 2 point per game wingers and somehow didn't score 50 points.

How can you criticize one and not the other? Let alone assume the .6ppg player should be carried to better things by the .66ppg player.

Also, Bozak has paced 50+ the past two years.

People give this guy way too hard of a time. If he was good for 60 points, just 7-8 more than he usually paces, people would see his contract as great value(60 point center who's good at faceoffs for 4.2million). Considering he's steadily, even if slowly, improved every season of his career, I don't think it's a stretch at all to say he could do that.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

Amazing how you're giving credit to Philly and Boston for a situation that was beyond their control. Unless both teams made sure to injure their own player so that they could put those big contracts on LTIR, neither team has any right to be credited with 'building' flexibility with the Savard and Pronger contracts.

Up to this point, Nonis pulled off what no one thought he could. Maybe some people are willing to consider that he's got options open to himself that maybe none of us have thought about. We don't have inside knowledge so while the situation isn't ideal, it doesn't man it's not a situation that's impossible to work with. Then again, you're username is cynicism so it might be a lost cause trying to explain to you how some people don't always choose to think about the worst possible scenario and mull over it :laugh:

goonx

Nov 7, 2010
Weiss 4.9 mill x 5 years
Bozak 4.2 mill x 5 years

You know, if the two other guys are scoring and the 3rd guy isn't, it might be because you can only pass the puck so many times around before "over-passing".

He wins FO that leads to scoring chances and in the pre-season, he set-up a few glorious chances that we didn't score on. He's not our #1C but he's "good enough" for now. Unless we give up Rielly or Gards, that #1C is hard to come by.

Our big chance is Kadri who can develop into that #1C and bozak can be #2.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
You know, if the two other guys are scoring and the 3rd guy isn't, it might be because you can only pass the puck so many times around before "over-passing".

He wins FO that leads to scoring chances and in the pre-season, he set-up a few glorious chances that we didn't score on. He's not our #1C but he's "good enough" for now. Unless we give up Rielly or Gards, that #1C is hard to come by.

Our big chance is Kadri who can develop into that #1C and bozak can be #2.

Good post.

Hilarious how people think that Weiss would fit better on our team than Bozak.

Leafsin2014*

The only options outside of Bozak were either paying Weiss enough to stay out of Detroit, which would have probably taken close to 6 million, keep Grabovski at 5.5, or some unknown blockbuster trade.

Irrelevant, we never had any interest in Weiss, Nonis was clear about that. Not a fit for our team.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Can you imagine what the same doomsayers would be saying about Weiss right now if the Leafs had signed him to $4.9M contract over 5 years coming off a 1 goal, 3 assist, -13 season?

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
Can you imagine what the same doomsayers would be saying about Weiss right now if the Leafs had signed him to $4.9M contract over 5 years coming off a 1 goal, 3 assist, -13 season?

I imagine that they would be saying it was a repeat of the Connelly mistake.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Everyone is a winner ...

Franson has a big year, he wins big. Nonnis gets Franson for one more year for peanuts and if they don't see eye to eye on $$$ can trade him. Nonnis was given a mess to skate through, it was never going to be pretty. If he trades Liles somehow, he does look rather smart.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I thought Franson looked terrific last night, particularly in the 1st period. I was a bit jaded on him after the contract issue, but last night he showed me why we wanted him back. Good on him, and keep it up.

I imagine that they would be saying it was a repeat of the Connelly mistake.

The similarities between Weiss and Connolly are absolutely striking. You're absolutely right, and I would not have been happy with signing Weiss. Weiss has an opportunity to prove us wrong, but the optics of it THIS summer look awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad