Confirmed with Link: Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Cody Franson (1 yr/2m)

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
He made a NHL playoff calibre team (so we believe). Getting bottom pairing minutes against NHL players is infinitely better than playing for a crappy WHL team with players he is way better than. Bad habits is what he can learn.

I'm not saying he isn't good enough. I am just wondering what the rush is, especially when he is caught up in the proverbial numbers game with the logjam on the back end.

We agree to disagree. This kid is something special. He is also 19. Let him grow and dominate in junior. Watch what it does for him in the future.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Did you just compare Kulemin to Morrow and Raymond?

Raymond's situation is completely unique. A young-ish player who had an outing with his former team and was affected by the cap. Morrow is in his twilight years.

I don't understand why posters think he'll be getting a raise on his next contract. He is very useful in the 2-2.5 range. Right now, 2.8 is nothing to cry about.

Raymond's situation wasn't unique at all. He wasn't offered a contract by 30 teams in the NHL and put up similar numbers to Kulemin and also has a good defensive game. These guys are a dime a dozen now and should be low balled on a one year deal so they can play for a bigger contract next year, or dumped. In this case we low balled Raymond and he bit.

Kyle Doobas*

I'm not saying he isn't good enough. I am just wondering what the rush is
But if he's good enough, it isn't a rush, right? Personally, based on Nonis' comments on Rielly and the fact that Liles hasn't been playing much in the pre-season, I'm kinda expecting Liles to get moved (at whatever cost) and Rielly to stay up. There's no reason he can't play 12-15 minutes a night on the third pairing plus the powerplay, if anything it'd be helpful for RC to have a third pairing he can use that much to take some of the pressure off of Gunnarsson/Phaneuf.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Technically, Moose Jaw could put him "on loan" to the Maple Leafs at any time. They just wouldn't do that because they aren't obligated to.

Emergency recall rules of the CBA in case the Leafs can't ice a full team and no other farm team players are available.

Then can't however once Rielly is returned to junior call upon him when ever they want, only under extreme limited circumstances..

Franson signing makes his arrival this year less likely.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Still not enough. We need a lynch mob and some torches.

angry+mob+Jasons+Scotch+Whisky+Reviews.jpeg

Better?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm not saying he isn't good enough. I am just wondering what the rush is, especially when he is caught up in the proverbial numbers game with the logjam on the back end.

We agree to disagree. This kid is something special. He is also 19. Let him grow and dominate in junior. Watch what it does for him in the future.

So, you don't think that there's any danger that Rielly's long-term future with the Leafs could be affected by a decision to make him go ride buses and play against boys for peanuts when he could be riding charter planes and playing in the best league in the world? I'm not saying he will resent it, but I always wonder if sending back a kid who is ready ever causes him to have resentment towards the organization making future dealings more difficult.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Like I predicted after watching the last 2 exhibition games. The Leafs had to cave to the one year as their D looked horrible. Great deal for the Leafs and Franson.

This by no means is the end of Rielly as I believe that Franson is his best partner as Franson thinks the game at the same level and it would allow Rielly to play his strong side in his first year.

Dion Gunnar
Ranger Gardinar
Franson Rielly

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nonis has really turned around his offseason at the end here. Getting Kadri, Franson, Ranger, and Raymond signed for less than $7m is pretty dang impressive.

I don't really agree with not trying to get a kid like Kadri on a cap-friendly deal longterm, but watching one of those vids from last night, with Nonis talking about the Kadri contract, I have to say he makes an interesting argument that giving young players big deals right after their breakout years can easily be bad for their development. It sounds like he crunched the numbers and was pretty sure that it wasn't just some guys that it had a negative effect on, but actually most of them. Not a bad argument, though I'd love to actually analyze the data on that one.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
And it sounds like Franson really, REALLY wants to stay in Toronto longterm, so that's always nice to hear.

Asif16*

Wait so who's the odd man out?

ranger, Reilly or Fraser?

Carlyle seems to have a thing for fraser becuase of his physicality and tenacity. Probably the only that plays with an edge and clear the crease type player.

So i dont know. Is reilly going back for one more year?

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Wait so who's the odd man out?

ranger, Reilly or Fraser?

Carlyle seems to have a thing for fraser becuase of his physicality and tenacity. Probably the only that plays with an edge and clear the crease type player.

So i dont know. Is reilly going back for one more year?

Reilly will be going back to junior IMO.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Nonis has really turned around his offseason at the end here. Getting Kadri, Franson, Ranger, and Raymond signed for less than $7m is pretty dang impressive.

I don't really agree with not trying to get a kid like Kadri on a cap-friendly deal longterm, but watching one of those vids from last night, with Nonis talking about the Kadri contract, I have to say he makes an interesting argument that giving young players big deals right after their breakout years can easily be bad for their development. It sounds like he crunched the numbers and was pretty sure that it wasn't just some guys that it had a negative effect on, but actually most of them. Not a bad argument, though I'd love to actually analyze the data on that one.

I agree with him. The moment you see that $$ and long term deal, you definitely take it a lot easier.

Look at Tyler Myers...gets a huge contract, signing bonus...goes from a ~top 3 defenseman to a player that is barely noticeable out there.

Zach Bogosian is probably going to be the next Tyler Myers. 7 years 36M before he has truly earned it...what's the point of working harder when you are set for most of your prime years?

New Jersey's awful Zajac contract, he had one season where he was a great #2C about 2 years ago...gets a maximum contract with ~5.8M AAV. Is he really going to try to get to that level again? My bet is on no.

Carolina...Jeff Skinner anyone? Injury prone and not nearly as good as his first year any longer. Carolina was dumb enough to give him a 5.5M contract.

In my opinion, the moment you get that big contract before you earn it, most of the time, you won't hit your true potential.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Nothing has changed:

1) Phaneuf 2) Gunnarsson
3) Gardiner 4) Ranger
5) Fraser 6) Franson
-------------------------------------------
7) Rielly (9-game stint)
8) Liles

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think in their minds, the ideal situation would be flip flopping Rielly and Fraser as the 6/7 guys all year, depending on the opponent.

NoVe

Jul 24, 2011
BRAMTPON
So, you don't think that there's any danger that Rielly's long-term future with the Leafs could be affected by a decision to make him go ride buses and play against boys for peanuts when he could be riding charter planes and playing in the best league in the world? I'm not saying he will resent it, but I always wonder if sending back a kid who is ready ever causes him to have resentment towards the organization making future dealings more difficult.

Pretty much every single high draft pick believes they are ready for the NHL right away. But let's not do to Reilly, what the Oilers have done to RNH. The kid was too small and has wrecked his shoulder twice already I think. It's not always about ready based on talent. You have to make sure they prospect is physically mature enough to handle the beating of an 82 game NHL season.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
I'm glad hes signed. The next logical step would be to ship this guy out. He'll be a headache to sign again next year and he's really not that good. He'll attempt to cash in on his PP play alone.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Id rather have Rielly in then Ranger... But its gonna be ranger... Frasers playing.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
Really glad we finally signed him, like the deal for both sides now he can prove himself over 82 games which I don't see a problem with.

With the cap and Liles being nearly unmoveable at this time, does anyone else think the easiest solution to this is to trade Gunnar? I know these boards love the guy and he's super valuable because of his minutes and ability to partner with Phaneuf but we're strong on D and he's the easiest moveable piece that would get a decent return.

Thoughts?

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
I'm glad hes signed. The next logical step would be to ship this guy out. He'll be a headache to sign again next year and he's really not that good. He'll attempt to cash in on his PP play alone.

Franson proved himself physically last year which at 6-5 isn't all that difficult. With the PP abilities he's a really solid top 4 guy, with loads of potential. Plus the fact that hes a righty means a lot to our all left handed defense we would run without him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad